Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    I'm not really getting anywhere with this. I've tried Canadian regimental and squadron coats of arms, also towns, cities, counties, provinces etc in Canada, England, Scotland and Ireland.

Since there seem to be two distinct halves (I think), does that suggest it's more likely to be a family one resulting from a marriage, rather than some kind of public body?
    Thanks for the feedback. I think it's kind of unlikely that it's a Frankenstein mash up of two different family crests.

I think the most likely candidates are a military crest or a single family crest.

Famous for offering help & advice

The mash up, as you put it, is a common feature of heraldry, where different coats of arms are represented on either side of a vertical division - see https://
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraldry#Marshalling

The heraldic term for this is impalement, and it can be used to express things like inheritance. Another site I found suggested that a woman might use this to combine the arms of her father and her husband. (The link I've given also mentions quartering, where horizontal divisions are used as well, and an example is shown where there are as many as 719 quarterings in a single shield.)

Since this is in Canada, you might find something useful in the Governor General's website section on heraldry -

https://www.gg.ca/document.aspx?lan=eng&id=2

This includes a search function where you can input a description of a shield and find its owner, but I haven't tried it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12