Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Promotion without evidence

I’m looking for evidence of my grandfather’s promotion to Captain in WW2. I have a photo of him in a Captain uniform and was told he was promoted but the military records don’t show this. He worked in the telegraph office in WW2 and had security clearance. In WW1 he was promoted in the field to Lieutenant for bravery and also was awarded an MC. He then fought in Ireland between wars. He set up the recruitment office in Manchester for WW2. I have his Cheshire Regiment diaries and his file from military records. He was Wilfred Levings MC. I assumed that his promotion came while in the telegraph office. Any help appreciated.
    Robyn

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Robyn
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain.

Did you purchase your grandfather's service record from the MoD? Is it these records you are referring to when you say "was told he was promoted but the military records don’t show this."

For others who may wish to help there is this photo taken when he was a Sergeant but the description gives his rank as Captain.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Yes, purchased from MOD. I put the photos up on flicker.

Wilfred’s records were from the MOD. I have a photo of him in His uniform but it won’t upload with an iPhone. I posted this photo on flicker

In the 1929 Kelly's Directory of Manchester of Salford and Suburbs Wilfred is an insurance agent living at 36 Clifton drive Cr, Manchester
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Yes. Thanks I know a lot about him from my father and I have a lot of paperwork from him including a report on the attempted capture of Sean McBride in ireland where he was shot in the arm. I just don’t know how to find how and when he became a Captain.

Can we have some dates please? If he fought in WW1, and then in Ireland, he must surely have spent some time in the Reserves (which explains the job as an insurance agent) before being recalled to duty for WW2. A number of older men were recalled for UK-based jobs including training, etc. If he ended WW1 as a Lt, he should have been at least that rank (if not higher) when recalled.

What do his records say about his WW2 period? He must have been in his 40s by then...

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

The London Gazette should record any promotions.
    There is an entry here - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/4495
    Has his rank as Lieutenant and is basically a retirement entry.
    I have seen officers on retiring receiving an honorary rank, so the next one up would be Captain, but it should be recorded in his service records, if that is what you have, up to 1943?
    It is a bit finicky to search with, so have a look yourself and try different options, I got the above with W Levings and the date range from 1915 to 1946. There are other entries you may be interested in.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Joined Cheshire Regiment 3/4/11. Appointed Lce Cpl 5/1/12 India. Appointed Corpl 17/2/15 France. Rejoined from Expiditionary force 11.7.15. Posted A/Sergt 9/8/15. Expeditionary Force France 25/9/15. Confirmed rank of sergeant 25/9/15. Posted 18/3/18. Granted permanent Commission as 2nd Lieutenant posted to 9th Cheshire Regiment 21/7/18. 1/19 Rhine. 23/4/19 home. Posted Chester, Shurness and Colchester. Promoted to Lieutenant 18/1/20. 16/6/20 to Rathdrum. Joined Depot 2/9/21. Retired receiving gratuity 5/6/22. Report for duty as recruiting officer Manchester 1/9/39. Joined MGTC Chester 24/9/39. Revert to unemployment 25/4/40. Cease to belong to RofO 3/10/43. Served India, France, Belgium and Ireland. Granted MC 5/12/18.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast