Loves to help with queries

Default De Lara revisited

Hi Philip hope all is well
    I am trying to find out if the following is correct, (by the way the wedding entry has no witness on the site)

David Cohen de Lara married Rachel Brandon Belmonte May 1805 in Amsterdam I am trying to find out firstly how they fit into the de lara tree but also did they have a daughter Clara born 23rd May 1808

thanks in advance Kevin

Futher in the wedding banns he is referred to as David Cohen de Lara Junior ... you cant make it up

Kevin
    I have looked at several Ancestry.Com family trees on the David Cohen de Lara =Rachel Dias Brandon Belmonte line. There is an issue and that relates to the marriage date for David and Rachel as you will note. There are 2 separate entries for David Cohen de Lara on the Netherlands Civil Marriage Index- the first has David Cohen de Lara age 34 parents David Cohen de Lara and Clara Belifante Married 21 August 1816 Amsterdam =Rachel Brandon Belmonte age 32 father David Brandon Belmonte. 2nd index record David Cohen de Lara age 53 parents David and Clara =Ester Cardozo Nunes father Samuel Cardozo Nunes Married 21 August 27 Mei 1835.

These records don't appear to link up to the birth of David Jnr in 1805 but at least 1 family tree has the lines descending from Isaac David Cohen de Lara 1717- married Esther Sarfaty Pina 1721- through David Isaac Cohen de Lara 1734-1785 =Clara Belifante 1739-1819 with their children Rebecca 1776-1849 =Aron Isreal Ricardo 1775-1854; Abraham 1778-1871 =Rebecca Belifante 1775-; David 1 April 1782=Rachel Belmonte and Esther Cardozo Nunes- their children David 1806; Abraham 1806; Clara 1808-1865; Rebecca 1812-

There is insufficient data on the children of David/Rachel to confirm the lines accurately and the marriage date of 1816 suggests a different line if accurate for David Jnr. Nb These are typed records and the original are not available so the question is have they been transcribed accurately.

A lot more research is needed and records need to be carefully re-read/checked.

Phillip

Kevin
    A couple more records based on the Ancestry.Com family trees- all need re-checking against data on the lines:
    Netherlands Select Births and Baptisms-David Cohen de Lara Junior spouse Rachel Brandon Belmonse -child Rebecca Cohen de Lara ( no date of birth)- this record is a transcription.

GRO Marriage Index
    Clara Cohen de Lara - Michael Moss March qtr 1849 Whitechapel 2 465

Clara 1808-1865 is recorded on the family trees as the daughter of David/Rachel

More research required to confirm accuracy of the data.

Phillip

Default Thankyou Phillip

Spent many hours going over the records as you say there is a record of a marriage in 1805 but no witnesses, then the civil one in 1816 it is the same couple there is a note on the birth record of Clara in 1808 but its in Dutch. As to Michael Moss I am happy its her even though the birth date is wrong, as I have learnt census takers record what they are or not told..

[img]https://www.british-genealogy.com/extensions/uploads/a96d6d8f-07c3-45d7-
    ae67-1247b2c00df7.png[/img]

I have been looking at Davids parents, David de Isaac Cohen de Lara and Clara Cohen Belinfante.. can find no trace of their marriage lots of documents about their children the only thingI found is the burial record which list all relevant details but Ketuba no... mystery seems to run in the family

Starting to feel at home

Kevin and Phillip,

Are either of you familiar with the writings of Libny Rodrigo Ventura Lara? He has published several books about the Cohen De Lara family of Honduras, including "Los Criptojudios en Honduras" in 2008 and "El lineje de Lara en Honduras; siglos XV1 al X1X: conquistadores, encomonderos y hacendados," 2009.

I gather that a branch of the Cohen de Lara family lived in Honduras for several generations and were indigo farmers and merchants before moving on to Jamaica where of course, there are no synagogue records for them.

As I understand it Libny Lara is a Honduran direct descendant of the Cohen De Lara who lived there and after he discovered his Jewish roots he spent some time, in recent years, studying at the University of Haifa. I have never been able to make contact with him and the only secondhand copy of one of his books that I found online was rather expensive … not to mention of course, written in Spanish, so not easy for me to read even if I could get a copy.

Deeny