Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    Thanks PAM

In haste

" and you really can't expect anyone to sit and sort out which are correct, which have slightly dodgy information, and which are only 10% correct."

Sorry I obviously didn't explain myself very well - I certainly don't expect others to go through info on other trees for these
    families if there are any. I merely meant that if one types in the names of the key people in this mystery then I wondered if any trees come up. I know from Hints that I can see how many trees there are for someone which I can't access so thought perhaps
    a quick way to find out if anyone else is researching these families is to, as I say, check against their names. That's all.
    with thanks
    Jill
    I'm obviously missing something here.
    Although I think I've just twigged what you mean. Which is that when you add person x to your tree you get a hint that person x is also in the tree that Zebeedee Zenon has online.

However, until you access the tree which Zebeedee has you won't know how much of his information is correct, a bit dodgy, or plucked out of thin air. On one of the very rare occasions I checked someone's tree because he had my great-grandmother in it the information about her, one of her sons, and his children was way off-beam. Even worse, I then found my stupid cousin had blithely copied it into his tree as gospel!

Alma and Lesley also think it would be money well spent (though I'm not quite sure where they got £10 from because I clearly said twenty), with Lesley giving you an example of how easily people can make a mistake.

If you don't want to spend the money, then if you haven't previously done so you can take out a fortnight's free trial. Alternatively, you'll just have to wait until the next time Ancestry have a few days free access.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks PAM, ALMA & LESLEY

I'm grateful for your input.

LESLEY

Yes I do double check everything having been led up the garden path with another relative and know
    full well that especially with these welsh surnames one has to be so careful - that is why it's impossible in some cases
    to be definite about facts ie bmd.

PAM

With regard to other Anc Trees. All I meant is that if I click on Hints (which as I say I can't access)
    I often see : " This hint compiles information from x other Public Ancestry Member Trees." I know
    that a Member can therefore look at the those trees ie others who are researching the same person.

So I wondered if, as a Member, one can type in a name and see if someone is researching that person.
    ie the names in this case, for instance Elizabeth (Rachel) Jones and Alfred L Thomas.
    with thanks Jill

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    Thanks PAM, ALMA & LESLEY

I'm grateful for your input.

LESLEY

Yes I do double check everything having been led up the garden path with another relative and know
    full well that especially with these welsh surnames one has to be so careful - that is why it's impossible in some cases
    to be definite about facts ie bmd.

PAM

With regard to other Anc Trees. All I meant is that if I click on Hints (which as I say I can't access)
    I often see : " This hint compiles information from x other Public Ancestry Member Trees." I know
    that a Member can therefore look at the those trees ie others who are researching the same person.

So I wondered if, as a Member, one can type in a name and see if someone is researching that person.
    ie the names in this case, for instance Elizabeth (Rachel) Jones and Alfred L Thomas.

with thanks Jill
    Alfred Thomas born 1885 Wales, died 1934 Canada - no trees.
    EIizabeth Rachel Jones, died 1942 Canada, spouse Alfred Thomas - no trees.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I do not understand how everything can be checked without active subscriptions.

Enough.

A fountain of knowledge

THIS IS ABOUT THE FIFTH TIME I HAVE TRIED TO POST THIS

UPDATE

I'd like to thank everyone who provided input for this posting about the mystery of who Howell Thomas'
    "Aunt Lizzie" was ie Elizabeth Jones. I received a lot of wonderful information and input including ALMA
    with census returns.

In the end I wished to know whether the answer was staring me in the face or more in depth research.
    Well it turned out to be a lot more in depth research which was solved:

Elizabeth Jones married Alfred Lobbett Thomas. The answer was that Howell's mother's mother was
    the sister of Alfred Father's Mother!

I was so pleased that link was found since I was told by someone in Wales that in fact it was the custom to call any female "Aunt" irrespective of a family link or not!

Needless to say this turned into a mammoth research job and, apologies, for asking, but I would again appreciate some help with tying up a few loose ends. Working with these names isn't easy and also so many of this very extended family journeyed from South Wales and settled in Welland, Ontario, and I don't have access to those records.

I have three queries but for now will post just one.

1) FAMILY OF MARY MAY DAVID

I would welcome finding this family in census returns etc.

To cut a long story short, one of Elizabeth Jones' brothers was THOMAS JONES who died in Welland in
    1947. The Burial record refers to his wife "Mary" and eventually this has been traced to Mary May David
    born South Wales. She was born in Wales on 14.9.1994 and died in Welland 30th October 1958.

I found the marriage for Thomas and Mary : Jones Thomas to David. Reg. 1913 Q4 Neath 11a 1615. NB No Christian name given for Mary May David. They had a son JONES, JOHN DAVID. mmn DAVID. GRO Ref: 1914 Q1 NEATH Vol 11A p 2095

I don't have a Passenger List for this family but the next date is 1934 when the son marries in Welland.

MARY MAY DAVID

Working on the chance that she was born in Neath I found two possible births to tie in with her exact dob
    14.9.1894. I found 11a 795 mmn Mort and 11a 796 mmn Daniels. BUT SEE BELOW BELIEVE IT's THE LATTER
    ie
    DAVID, MARY DANIELS Order
    GRO Reference: 1894 D Quarter in NEATH Volume 11A Page 796

Info sent to me from Canada from her Obituary says

1) She had a brother THOMAS DAVID who died c1955

2) Survived by 2 sisters:

so I have found as below:

1) BROTHER THOMAS DAVID

DAVID, THOMAS DANIEL Order
    GRO Reference: 1892 D Quarter in NEATH Volume 11A Page 773

Deaths Dec 1953 (>99%)
    DAVID Thomas 62 Neath 8b 436

2) SURVIVED BY TWO SISTERS

a) Mrs Ivor Thomas (Annie) and

b) Mrs L John (Katie)

a) ANNIE DAVID

DAVID, ANNIE DANIEL Order
    GRO Reference: 1896 D Quarter in NEATH Volume 11A Page 858

Marriage Q2 1922 Neath 11a 1865 Thomas Ivor to David Annie

b) KATIE DAVID

DAVID, KATIE DANIEL Order
    GRO Reference: 1908 S Quarter in NEATH Volume 11A Page 1026

marriage Q3 1908 Neath 11a 1026 Katie David to David L John

3) I can't find the MARRIAGE OF THE PARENTS unless it's

Q2 1888 Pontypridd 11a 598 William David to Sarah Daniel

4) other children

During my search for the above, the following might be the same family

DAVID, MARGARET DANIEL Order
    GRO Reference: 1904 D Quarter in NEATH Volume 11A Page 939
    DAVID, ELIZABETH DANIEL Order
    GRO Reference: 1906 J Quarter in NEATH Volume 11A Page 950

So to sum up I would welcome confirmation that this is the right family to confirm I have the right family/birth for Mary May David and info from census returns etc please.

I will post two other queries (not so long winded!) shortly
    with thanks
    Jil

A fountain of knowledge

Further to my posting yesterday the birth for Mary with mn Daniels has been confirmed ie

DAVID, MARY DANIELS Order
    GRO Reference: 1894 D Quarter in NEATH Volume 11A Page 796

so any help with census info would be very welcome using the info I found and posted here yesterday. Jill

A fountain of knowledge

PLEASE COULD THIS THREAD BE MOVED TO GLAMORGAN SITE
    Thanks
    Jill

1911, 30 Miners Row Cwmavon, Glamorgan, RG14; Piece: 32615; Schedule Number: 219
    All born Cwmavon.
    Thomas David 44
    Elizabeth David 40, married 21yrs, 7 children, 5 living
    John David 19
    Thomas David 18
    Mary David 16
    Annie David 11
    Kattie David 2

1901, 4, Miners Row, RG13; Piece: 5054; Folio: 73; Page: 9
    Entered as DAVIES, all born Cwmavon
    Thomas Davies 32
    Elizabeth Davies 28
    John Davies 9
    Thomas Davies 8
    Mary Davies 7
    Annie Davies 1

Marriages Mar 1891, Neath vol 11a, page 1074
    Thomas David, Elizabeth Ann Daniel.
    Alma

A fountain of knowledge

ALMA

It really is very kind of you to have provided me with the information which has helped me to work on the family.
    Thanks for pointing out that I had the wrong parents. The 1911 census states 7 children born with 5 alive and
    I have managed to find all seven with birth dates matching ages with the exception of Annie. The census age
    means she would have been born c1900 but it's been confirmed that the birth I had previously found of 1896 is correct.

I was interested to see the address as Miners Row which rang a bell and realise it's the address of where
    "Aunt Lizzie" ie Elizabeth Jones lived with her family prior to her marriage. Then "the penny dropped" as one
    of the children born ie Mary May David married Thomas Jones who was one of Elizabeth's siblings!

As I stated in my previous post, I don't have the Passenger List for when Mary May David, husband Thomas Jones and son John David went to Canada. He was born 1914 Q1 NEATH Vol 11A p 2095
    but the next date is 1934 when the son marries in Welland. Perhaps someone would kindly find this for me. Just out of interest.

with thanks Jill

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456