Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I’m actually using 2old versions of FTM - 2005 and 2011 - because when Brøderbund sold it, a couple of features that I really like were dropped. I use 2011 for my main trees, and convert down if I want the all in one tree, for example. Of course, I don’t keep my trees online - as a control freak, I’m not handing all that work over to any commercial company. Even if they’re completely reliable, there’s all sorts of things that can go wrong with big on-line sites.

Ron Leech

Completely agree I did have 2005 version but have missed those functions. I don't have an online tree exactly like you Lesley. I do use them but there are so many errors anything found needs checking. For difficult census traces I think FMP is best their spelling is more reliable.

One thing about Genealogy basics that hasn’t been mentioned, probably because it isn’t immediately relevant to #1 this time.

Before you get frustrated because you can’t find someone on a particular database, check that the database is supposed to have that data. The obvious example is that most Scottish and Irish data is separate, and yet one or two sites call themselves “UK” when they mean England & Wales. Lots of people complain here because they can’t find WW2 (or after) service records on any of the online sites, even though most of such sites (plus related forums) carry statements that the MOD hasn’t released such records yet as they’re too new. Sites generally have a list linked from their front page showing what they have - it can save on time and irritation if you take a look at it.

I totally agree with everything that has been said and I would like to add one more thing

When you are stuck, or can't make sense of some information, or can't find an ancestor that you have proof was born in a certain place, or you just need someone else to look at something and tell you where to go next.

Come here. This forum has some of the very best brains as members and they are always up for a challenge. Just explain where you are in your research, tell them exactly what you want to find and then sit back and wait.

If you don't want them to give you the information on a plate then say so and our members will provide links for you to follow.

I say this as an experienced questioner. I am hopeless at searching any site. I can never find what I am looking for and I then get frustrated and sulky and the air has been known to go blue with some of the language I have used. The members of this forum have never let me down - not once in the 14 years I have been a member - and even when they can't find the proof I was hoping for they were able to show that it doesn't exist.

OH and don't EVER think that your question is daft or too simple - we are never surprised by questions and we never laugh off a query because we have heard it before. As far as the questioner is concerned it is the first time it has been asked and that's how we - and I include all those members who take the time to answer - will view any question you put.

Welcome to the wonderful world of family history
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12