Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abbot/ farmer

Lozjoned

Default Abbot/ farmer

HI'm just a little stuck not too much
    But I can't find a marriage for Jane farmer . NEE abbot born Shoreditch to Jane and Joseph around 1805. Died 1877.Camberwell.
    Jane's partner/husband
    John farmer born to William and Marion in linlithgo. West Lothian. He moved to London not sure when his trade a shoe maker. He died in walworth.
    Jane has down as an owner of house's in 1871 census but can't find a will for her or him and no other evidence of owning houses. She appears to be known on documentation as Jane abbot farmer . Could this mean she wasn't married after all. ? ✌

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

What's the documentation which shows Jane as Jane Abbot Farmer?
    Remember, the more details you give us (dates, places, census references), the more wecan perhaps help.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    What's the documentation which shows Jane as Jane Abbot Farmer?
    Remember, the more details you give us (dates, places, census references), the more wecan perhaps help.

Pam
    There's this death registration, Pam.

Deaths Jun 1877
    FARMER Jane Abbot 73 Camberwell 1d 452

I haven't come across any other record, though the 1871 census has her as Jane A Farmer, RG10; Piece 722; Folio 21; Page 35

ETA: When their daughters Jane and Elizabeth Ann Farmer were christened on 14 Jul 1837, at Walworth, their parents are named John and Jane Abbot Farmer
    Last edited by almach; 02-07-2018 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Added Extra Information
    Alma

Those baptism records can be interpreted two ways. Either the children's surname is Farmer, their father being John, and their mother called Jane ABBOTT, the parents not being married.
    Or, as her death registration would infer to me, Jane's second name, not her maiden surname, is Abbott.
    i.e. John Farmer married Jane Abbott unknown surname.

Though Lozjoned supposedly has parents for Jane - where was that record found?

The baptism records for John and Jane's children say that the eldest, Jane, was born 11 May 1827.

ADDED:
    Ancestry's London baptisms have a Jane Abbott BAYLEY baptised 17June 1804 at St Leonards, Shoreditch. Parents John and Elizabeth.
    There is a very slight chance that the surname should be Bagley, but most of the writer's small g's seem to have the top loop firmly closed.

Pam

Lozjoned

There are two Jane abbot born one to Joseph and Jane. But not of kingsland rd / Street Shoreditch which other family members have which I suspect is mine . And the one you guys have found . I have looked into thoses and guy feeling says it's not them .
    Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by Lozjoned View Post
    There are two Jane abbot born one to Joseph and Jane. But not of kingsland rd / Street Shoreditch which other family members have which I suspect is mine . And the one you guys have found . I have looked into thoses and guy feeling says it's not them .
    Thank you again
    Can you give precise details of where the Jane Abbott, daughter of Joseph and Jane was baptised and when? And what else does the baptism record say with regard to any address, etc.
    And who is the other Jane Abbott you're talking about? What details do you have about her?

Pam

Is this the family in 1841?

Census ref - HO107 Piece 1064 Book 4 Folio 8 Page 8
    John Farmer 50 ; Jane Farmer 35; Jane Farmer 14, Mary 9; Elizabeth 6; Hanh 3
    Address Trafalgar Row
    All born out of County except Hannah
    Jane and Elizabeth's ages fit the 1835 FMP baptisms (transcriptions only)
    Head of Household's occupation not recorded

GRO birth - Hannah Farmer, Jun Qtr 1838, St Mary Newington, 4 357 - mother's maiden name Bailey
    GRO death - Hannah Farmer, Mar Qtr 1842, St Mary Newington, 4 262, age 4

Is this the family in 1851?
    ref. HO107 Piece 1567 Folio 317 Page 6
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Lozjoned

Sorry . I only have a mobile phone no computer. Theses detail are from the library which Visited years ago. SO I DON'T know the details off the top of my head .all information was gathered years ago and due to being unemployed I could not afford like some pple to print out anything .so i am going from memory. I am sorry if that not good enough. Maybe it was obviously a mistake to ask for help. THANK YOU FOR YOUR help

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Lozjoned View Post
    Sorry . I only have a mobile phone no computer. Theses detail are from the library which Visited years ago. SO I DON'T know the details off the top of my head .all information was gathered years ago and due to being unemployed I could not afford like some pple to print out anything .so i am going from memory. I am sorry if that not good enough. Maybe it was obviously a mistake to ask for help. THANK YOU FOR YOUR help
    ohhhh don't be sorry we are here to help but the more info you give us helps us more and we need to know what you have even if its only the smallest bit so we don't go looking if you have already looked and have the information

BG members willingly give many hours to help people with their queries, but surely you can see that if we're given incorrect information that it's difficult to help.
    When we ask for more precise details about a person/date/record, it's either because we can't find anything from what we've been told or because what we've found differs from what we've told. In the latter case, are we barking up the wrong tree, or has the enquirer gone shooting off along the wrong branch? We've all been there and done that. In my case I found the death registration of my great granny. Right district, right name, right age give or take a year. Wrong person. Mine, with a middle name, died about nine years later. Fortunately I found her without too much damage being done to the family tree in general.

As regards keeping records, printing off the actual images in support of your written notes is best, but the main thing is to write down everything about the document that you can. Names, dates, ages, addresses, what the document is, which year, any reference number. It makes it easy to refer to if a new-found cousin disputes things. Or, as here, if you ask for help. (I suspect that if you asked a hundred BG members at least ninety of them would admit to failing to accurately record/save stuff in their first year of research compared to how they do now.)

You say other family members have Jane as being the daughter of Joseph and Jane. So what have they got in the way of images, precise details from any documents about Jane and her parents?
    Nowadays either Ancestry and/or Findmypast are usually available for free at most libraries, so if necessary take a step back, re-visit those records you looked at, and then come back to us.

Pam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast