Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ROSINA MARJORIE HART-ALFRED AARON HART

This new thread relates to two brother and sister Rosina Marjorie Hart 1891-1970 and Alfred Aaron Hart 1895-unknown. Their parents were Edmee Georgina Camilla Greatorex and Napthali Asher Hart. I have posted a range of data on Edmee Greatorex Hart nee Richards 22.7.2009 and Napthali Asher Hart MD 04.05.2009.
    As a recap Edmee was the illigitimate daughter of Alfred Bate Richards barrister, journalist and editor and Marion Greatorex. I have researched the lines in some detail but have not posted data. The will of Alfred Bate Richards names Marion and her children in various bequests. However, Alfred and Marion were not married and Alfred had married Emma Gaggiotti. I hold various GRO Records on the lines plus wills.

Marion Greatorex died in 1877 but was calling herself Marion Richards:
    GRO Death Record
    9 August 1877
    54 Bernard Street Bloomsbury
    Marion Richards 38 years widow of Alfred Bate Richards editor of a daily newspaper Cause of death Cirrhosis of Liver- Informant Blanche Blogg present at death 37 Upper Bedford Place

GRO Death Certificate
    12 June 1876
    22 Brunswick Square Bloomsbury
    Alfred Bate Richards 56 Journalist Cause of death Cancer of the rectum about a year Informant Edmee RICHARDS daughter present at death 22 Brunswick Square

Edmee was born in 1862:
    GRO Birth Record
    27 February 1862
    27 Queens Road Marylebone
    Edmee Georgina RICHARDS girl father's name missing and occupation of father missing Informant Marion GREATOREX Mother 27 Queens Road Marylebone
    Edmee was to have two daughters who appear to have been born to a Percy and a James Richards. However, I have never been able to identify any marriages and the question as to who the father(s) of the children were remains unresolved.

One daughter of Edmee was born in 1886- GRO Birth Record
    29 January 1886
    36 Marylands Road Paddington
    Marion Constance Minnie -father Percy Richards Musical Critique -mother Edmee Percy Richards formerly Richards- Informant A Hart present at birth 36 Marylands Road.

The relationships between the Richards and Hart becomes more complex because Henry and Amelia Hart 'adopted' Kitty Richards the first daughter of Edmee. Amelia Hart was the sister of Napthali Asher Hart and the 36 Marylands Road address was that of her father Aaron Hart who was to die in 1887.

To add to the complex relationships Napthali Asher Hart married Edmee in 1887. I have puzzled over some years why Napthali married Edmee who already had 2 children and why Henry and Amelia 'adopted' Kitty who was not their relative. Importantly, the 2 children of Napthali and Edmee - Rosina and Alfred were to be placed in orphanages.

As a summary, I know what happened to Rosina but have not been able to trace Alfred Aaron Hart post 1904 although having received a photograph of Alfred as a young man in his 20s.

I will post further data which shows links to my Hart/Solomon Anglo Jewish lines.

The 2 children of Napthali and Edmee have a Jewish father but not mother but as will be shown they were placed in the Jews Hospital Norwood.

Phillip

Continuing with the data on the children of Edmee Hart aka Richards aka Greatorex - Edmee had a daughter also called Edmee born in 1884:
    18 May 1884
    49 Bernard Street St Giles Middlesex
    Edmee Kate Percy - no father named and no occupation of father -mother Edmee Georgina Camilla Richards a gentlewoman-Informant Kate MacnaMara present at birth 8 Burton Crescent St.Pancras

Edmee born in 1884 was to be called 'Kitty' aka 'Kittie'. As stated in the previous post she was adopted by Henry and Amelia Hart and Amelia in her will dated 1928 referred to Kitty as 'my adopted daughter'. Similarly, in a Jewish Chronicle archive newspaper in 1928 Kitty who by then had married Hugh Miller also called herself 'adopted daughter' of Amelia- I will post this article.

Marion Constance Minnie Richards the second daughter of Edmee died in 1972 unmarried -GRO Death Certificate
    28 March 1872 St Stephens Hospital Chelsea-shop assistant retired 65 Harcourt Terrace Kensington- Informant Raymond Stanley Courtman-causing the body to be cremated-35 Amherst Crescent Hove
    Marion Constance Minnie Richards b abt 1889 London Shop assistant -cause of death Carcinoma of the cascum

Rosina Marjorie Hart was born 1891:
    GRO Birth Certificate
    7 January 1891
    12 Portland Street Fulham
    Rosina Marjorie Hart -father Napthali Asher Hart Attendant (invalid) -mother Edmee Georgina Camilla Greatorex Hart formerly Richards-Informant N A Hart father 12 Portland Street Fulham

I have looked at the Free BMD records for the birth of Alfred Hart in 1895 and can locate 1 record for the London area Dec qtr 1895 West Ham 4a 195. The other records have middle names and the only Alfred Aaron Hart for the period was born in 1888 and the Ancestry Com family tree which has his data indicates that he is not the same person as the son of Napthali and Edmee.

Napthali and Edmee were married in 1887:
    GRO Marriage Record
    5 March 1887 Register Office Paddington
    Napthali Asher Hart 27 bachelor MD The Lodge Marylands Road -father Aaron Hart Gentleman
    Edmee Richards 23 spinster no rank/profession The Lodge Marylands Road -father Alfred Bate Richards Gentleman
    Witnesses-Charles Scallon; Percival E Kirk

Edmee Hart died in 1897

17 April 1897
    10 Bendemeer Road Putney
    Edmee Hart 34 wife of Asher Hart a stock broker Cause of death Phthisis pulmarls?
    Informanant Sylvia Richards sister present at death 49 Talworth Street Cardiff

I will post on Rosina and Alfred in the Jews Hospital and data on Rosina in Australia and her marriage.

Phillip

The following post identifies both old and new data on Rosina Marjorie Hart and her brother Alfred Aaron Hart. In an earlier thread -Napthali Asher Hart MD I had provided records to show that Napthali (born 4th May 1858 Rose Lawn Cottage Oval Kennington father Aaron Hart Boot and Shoe Manufacturer- mother Rebecca Hart formerly CRAWCOUR) had joined the Army Medical Corp under the alias Arthur Robert Hart. He had not been a Doctor of Medicine but instead a Private and had served overseas and in the UK for a number of years. He had also adopted his middle name Asher.

On the death of Edmee census records for 1901 do not show sufficient data to accurately locate her children or their father Napthali Asher aka Arthur Robert aka Asher.

However, JewishGen UK Data base Hospital Records show- Rosina Marjorie Hart - Jews Hospital Additional address Hambro Orphanage Roehampton Lane Putney SW- there is no dates to indicate her age or when she was placed in the Orphanage.

Alfred Hart is also recorded as Jews Hospital age 9 in 1904 Additional address 16c Yukon Road Balham

New records on Ancestry.Com show London Poor Law and Board of Guardians Records Lambeth- Rosina Hart 15 b abt 1891 Discharge March 31 1906 Jews Hospital Norwood.

The Jews Hospital was established in Whitechapel in 1830 as The Jews Orphan Asylum and in 1866 Barnett and Isabella Meyers gave 8 acres of land in West Norwood to the Jews Hospital and by 1876 220 children were accommodated.The Hambro House Orphanage or Hambro Home for Girls Putney Heath Roehampton was founded in 1879.."It's object to receive girls who were orphans or fatherless, and to support or train them for domestic service.. Inmates remained until they were 15 years of age... The house was certified to take girls placed by the Boards of Guardians who ran the poor relief and workhouse system. In 1900 the house could accommodate 27 girls..." see Hambro House Orphanage online site and the Jews Hospital online site for more information.

For sometime I had wondered whether or not any of the Hart or associated families had helped Rosina and Alfred in any way. In particular, at least two of the families the Solomon and Courlander were very wealthy. The Solomon and Courlander had married into the Hart families.

Within the past week I located on the Jewish Chronicle Archives the will summary of Bella Solomon nee Hart who had died in 1906. Bella was the daughter of Henry Hart and Phoebe Myers my 4x great grandparents. Bella had married Josiah Solomon and the family became wealthy through business. Bella was the sister of Aaron Hart father of Napthali Asher Hart which meant that Rosina and Alfred were her great niece and nephew.

In the will summary, "Mrs Bella Solomon of Audley House 163 Maida Vale widow who died on June 13, and whose will with 3 codicils have been proved by Henry Josiah Solomon of the Stock Exchange the son and Hermann Henry Myer of 46 and 47 London Wall, left property valued at £ 29,445 0s 1d gross and £29,825 13s 10d.
    She gave £300 to her son for such charitable purposes he may select, the household furniture to her daughter Amelia Phillips and £100 each to ALFRED AARON HART and ROSINA MARJORIE HART; £150 per annum to her sister Sarah Hart and £100 per annum to her sister Leah Wulfson. One fourth of her residuary estate she gave to her son and one fourth in trust for each of her daughters , Sarah SALAMAN, Amelia PHILLIPS, Eva PHILLIPS."- Jewish Chronicle Archives July 20, 1906

The full will may provide further information regarding where Rosina and Alfred were in 1906 and if they were in orphanages what happened to the bequests.

Why the families did not take the children into their households I do not know and why my 2x great grandparents 'adopted' Edmee aka Kitty rather than Rosina and Alfred is not known.

My information on Alfred Aaron Hart currently ends in 1906 and I have not been able to locate him with any accuracy.
    In the case of Rosina she went to Australia.
    UK Outward Passenger Lists- Miss Rosina Hart age 34 b abt 1891 -domestic Address "Newham" Steyning Sussex. Travelling 3rd class Departure date 29 Jan 1925 Port of Departure London Destination Port Brisbane Australia.

The address of "Newham" Steyning Sussex was the address of Louis Courlander and his wife Gertrude Hart- Gertrude was the daughter of Aaron Hart/Rebecca Crawcour and sister of Napthali Asher.
    I have no information as to why Rosina was at the address but Louis Courlander was a wealthy jeweller. I know that his daughter Violet married and Australian Percy Ross who settled in Queensland and it maybe that Rosina went to join them.
    The Australia Electoral Rolls show in 1928 Rosina Hart-Nundah Lilley Queensland-home duties and in 1930 Rosina was living c/o A J Meagher-home duties. A J Meagher were a business and I have further notes on the line.

Rosina returned to the UK-Port of Arrival Hull England Arrival date 20 June 1932 Port of Departure Brisbane- UK address Bridge Road London SW11 -domestic. With her was her 1 year old child Olga. Rosina was not married at the time and Olga was to have her name changed.I will not add further details because of living relatives.
    Rosina married Frederick George Frost in 1932.
    GRO Marriage Record
    27 August 1932
    Register Office Hendon Middlesex
    Frederick George Frost 35 bachelor Fish shop assistant Portland Street Fareham Hants-father James Frost deceased Licensed victualler

Rosina Marjorie Hart spinster 41 years Domestic servant 18 Woodstock Road Golders Green -father Napthali Asher Hart deceased Medical Practioner
    Witnesses-R Goad; W Harwood

When Amelia Hart aunt to Rosina and Alfred died in 1928 Hove Sussex she left among her bequests.."to my niece Rosina Hart my album of photographs"-What became of the photos I do not know. Similarly, I have no data to confirm what happened to Napthali Asher Hart aka Asher aka Arthur Robert Hart or to his son Alfred Aaron Hart.

Phillip

Default ALFRED AARON HART 1888-1974

This new post provides data relating to Alfred Aaron Hart 1888-1974 aka Aaron Alfred Hart son of Napthali Asher Hart and Edmee Richards. I have previously posted on this line in an earlier thread for Napthali Hart MD.
    The parents of Napthali aka Asher were Aaron Hart and Rebecca Crawcour( previous threads on the Hart and Crawcour are numerous on this forum).

Today I have ordered the Birth, Marriage and Death GRO Certificates for Alfred and will post the information on arrival.

Subject to the confirmation of the B.M,D records it is very likely that the following data is correct.

The GRO Birth index record shows Aaron Alfred Hart Birth March qtr 1888 Islington 1b 202 mother's maiden name RICHARDS. The 1939 Register shows Alfred A Hart Boot repairer b 28 December 1888 9 his name has been amended in green to read Aaron Alfred with the number 2868 and unreadable words. In the household are Elizabeth Hart charlady b 3 June 1889, Alfred Arthur Hart salesman boot shoe b 3 November 1918, Joseph A Hart hall porter b 15 July 1922

Lambeth

1911 Census (Crown copyright TNA) Rowton House Lodging House 221 Hammersmith Road W
    Alfred Aaron Hart resident single 22 Bootmaker

The 1921 Census has Aaron Alfred Hart b 1890 with Elizabeth Kate Hart, Mary Ebben +1 other Islington ( I have not subscribed to the site but will check data)

London Electoral Records show 1923 at 147 Lillie Road,Islington and at same address in 1919 with Aaron Alfred Hart and Elizabeth Hart and later in Battersea 1934 and in 1936 at 339 Wandsworth Road - his first name is Aaron.

The GRO Marriage Index Record has Aaron A Hart March qtr 1918 Hammersmith 1a 666 spouse Elizabeth K POPLE

The GRO Birth Index record has Joseph A Hart July qtr 1922 Fulham 1a 429 mother's maiden name Pople and Alfred A Hart Oct qtr 1918 Fulham 1a 383 mother's maiden name Pople.

The GRO Death Index record has Joseph ASHER HART age 84 b 15 July,1922 West Wickham Kent Bromley A49 22/1A 132 Nov 2006

GRO Death Index Record ALFRED AARON HART age 85 b 29 December 1888 Oct qtr 1974 Surrey 17 0190

The inclusion of the middle name Asher for Joseph Hart suggests that this is the right line subject to the B,M,D records confirmation.

The Jewish link for the lines is through Napthali Asher Hart.

I will post further following receipt of the records and further research. As yet I have not identified who Elizabeth Kate Pople was.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Default DEATH CERTIFICATE ALFRED AARON HART 1888-1974

This is the GRO Death Certicate for Alfred Aaron Hart 1888-1974 aka Aaron Alfred Hart:
    Registration District
    Surrey Mid Eastern Sub district Epsom Woodcote Surrey
    5 October 1974 Epsom District Hospital Epsom
    ALFRED AARON HART born 29 December 1888
    Master Shoemaker Retired
    3 Clock Cottages Stoke Road Stoke D'A?
    Informant
    JOSEPH HART son 104 Addison Road,Hove Sussex
    Cause of Death
    Cerebral Thrombosis

Default MARRIAGE ALFRED AKA AARON ALFRED HART -POPLE

The following GRO Marriage Certificate confirms that Alfred Aaron Hart aka Aaron Alfred Hart was the son of Napthali Asher Hart and Edmee Richards.The certificate in 1918 confirms his marriage to Elizabeth Kate POPLE daughter of William POPLE

The Register Office Hammersmith London
    26 March 1918
    AARON ALFRED HART 29 Bachelor Munition Worker 37 Glenthorne Road Hammersmith -Father NAPTHALI ASHER HART (Deceased) MEDICAL PRACTITIONER

ELIZABETH KATE POPLE 27 Spinster Kitchen Hand (Hotel) 63 Glenthorne Road Hammersmith -Father WILLIAM POPLE SAPPER ROYAL ENGINEERS

Witnesses
    ROSA WILSON
    F.FALLEN

I will post Alfred aka Aaron's birth certificate on arrival.

Whether or not Napthali Asher Hart was dead or alive by 1918 remains to be confirmed given that Alfred aka Aaron and his sister Rosina were originally in Jewish care homes. There are also the 2 half siblings of Alfred aka Aaron and Rosina namely Edmee aka Kitty and Marion who had been looked after by Amelia and Henry Hart. Amelia being the sister of Napthali. In addition, on the death certificate Edmee, Napthali is calling himself Asher and named as a stock brokers dealer. In contrast on both the marriage certicates of Alfred aka Aaron and Rosina they both refer to their father's occupation as Medical Practitioner.

There is more to discover.

I have begun to look at records for William Pople father of Elizabeth who is noted in the GRO Marriage Certificate of Elizabeth and Aaron Alfred aka Alfred Aaron Hart in 1918 as previously posted.

There are census and other records for a William Pople with a wife Elizabeth and a daughter Elizabeth. However, the name for Elizabeth the daughter is recorded in the GRO Birth Index Record Sept qtr 1890 Chelsea 1a 340 as Elizabeth Jane Pople with mother's maiden name ALLEN.
    There is a baptism for Elizabeth Jane Pople born 3 June 1890 Christ Church, Chelsea Middlesex with father William labourer living at 29 ? Street.

This date of birth of 3 June is important as will be shown. Elizabeth who married Aaron Alfred Hart had a middle name of Kate not Jane on her marriage certificate. There is no Elizabeth Kate Pople recorded in the GRO Birth Index.
    There are also Marriage Banns for Elizabeth Jane Pople to Charles Bristow 56 Seymour Place -February 27,1916; March 5,1916; March 12 1916 with a possible wedding date of March 19,1916 8.50- Kensington and Chelsea.
    However, there is no GRO Marriage Index for such a marriage.***I would welcome any further checks to confirm this. I looked on Free BMD and the GRO index.

There are numbers of WW1 Deaths for individuals with the name Charles Bristow who died in war service during the period 1916-1918 but I have yet to identify the correct individual.

The London Workhouse Admission and Discharge Records has Kensington and Chelsea Workhouse Admission Elizabeth Pople age 25 Shop Assistant b 1891 admitted 22 April 1916 (Saturday) with a child Mary E Pople 1 year 9 months.

Looking at the GRO Birth Index there is no record for the birth of a Mary E Pople for the period 1888-1893 using Bristow and Pople jointly and separately. Is Elizabeth the same person who is the daughter of William Pople. Is the daughter the child of Charles Bristow?

There is an important potential clue which suggests that Elizabeth Kate Pople who married Aaron Alfred Hart is the same person as Elizabeth Jane Pople. In the 1939 Register (previously posted)Elizabeth's date of birth is 3 June 1889. This compares to the baptism date of 3 June 1890 for Elizabeth Jane Pople. Given that there is no GRO Birth Index record for a Elizabeth Kate Pople the 2 dates of 3 June suggest that they are one in the same person.

There is no Mary E Pople who appears as a daughter of Elizabeth Kate in the 1939 Register and I have yet to trace this child and confirm whether or not she is the daughter born illegitimately and also the daughter of Charles Bristow.

I have not as yet posted the census records for William Pople who in 1901 and 1911 appears as a scaffolder b London Chelsea with wife Eliza and their children living in Chelsea.

I will research further.

For my Hart relatives here is further data to consider regarding the Pople line. This data needs careful unpicking to confirm whether or not the individuals are part of the Hart/Pople family line as per the marriage of Aaron Alfred Hart aka Alfred Aaron Hart and Elizabeth Kate Pople in 1918 previously posted on.

There are further Kensington and Chelsea Bitten Street Old and New Workhouses:
    Elizabeth Pople discharge age 25 c/o mother 122 Halford Road Fulham discharged 5.9.1916

Katherine Pople age 3/52 2.9.1916 Saturday to Infirmary.
    Katherine M Pople born Mother Elizabeth Admission 8 August 1916
    GRO Death Index Katherine M Pople age 0 July qtr 1916 Chelsea 1a 371

Baptism
    4 June 1914 St.Mark Marylebone Road Westminster
    Mary Ellen Pople Mother Elizabeth Jane Pople -Domestic 54 Bullow Road - Nb No father recorded ****
    In the 1919 London Electoral Register there are William and Elizabeth Pople living at 111 Bulow Road Fulham
    Are these the parents of Elizabeth Jane Pople?
    Kensington and Chelsea Bitten Street Old and New Workhouses
    Discharge Mary E Pople 2 and a half c/o Mother-4 Micklethwaite Road
    GRO Birth Index Mary Ellen Pople J qtr 1914 St Marylebone 1a 971
    GRO Death Index
    May E Pople age 20 b 1915 Jan qtr 1935 Chelsea 1a 505

Further research is needed to confirm relationships to Hart/Pople

Default MARY ELLEN POPLE b 1914

The 1921 Census suggests that Mary Ellen Pople born 1914 is the daughter of Elizabeth Kate Pople:

147 Lillie Road Fulham
    Aaron Alfred Hart 31 6 months Married Labourer Simons Co Motor Engineers Bramber Road Fulham
    Elizabeth Kate Hart wife 30
    MARY ELLEN HART Daughter 7 years 1 month
    Alfred Arthur Hart son 2 years 7 months

This census record suggests that Elizabeth Jane Hart mother of Mary Ellen Hart baptised 4 June 1914 St Mark Marylebone Road Westminster -no father's name recorded and Elizabeth Kate Hart nee Pople are one in the same person. There is no indication as yet as to why Elizabeth and Mary were in the workhouse in 1916 unless the cause was an illegitimate birth. However, the GRO Death Index 1935 shows May E Pople age 20 death not May E Hart or Mary E Hart. Is this because she was the step daughter of Aaron Alfred aka Alfred Aaron Hart?

Similarly, who is Katherine Pople with mother Elizabeth admitted to the workhouse August 1916 is this also Elizabeth Kate Hart nee Pople??

These questions need researching and answering.

Having re-checked the GRO Birth Index Records for a Mary Ellen Hart wife mother's maiden name Pople there appears to be no record other than the Mary Ellen POPLE ( previously posted)Jan qtr 1914 St Marylebone 1a 971 but this has no mother's maiden name. The only current record is the Baptism of Mary Ellen Pople in 1914 with mother Elizabeth Jane Pople as previously posted.

This data again suggests that Mary was an illegitimate birth with current father unknown and that Elizabeth Jane and Elizabeth Kate Pople appear to be one in the same unless new data suggests otherwise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast