Starting to feel at home

Default John Drummond of Scotland

Hi,
    I have a Catherine Drummond, who married John Roy in 1794. Her marriage record lists her Father, John Drummond, as a wright in Bo'ness (Barstowness), Scotland.. I also found records for a May Drummond (married John Stewart) & Janet Drummond (married Alexander Patterson) , whom I believe are Catherine's sisters. They married in 1792 & 1796 respectively; their father is also listed as wright in Bo'ness, Scotland

I also found a record for a marriage between a Johanna Cowan & John Drummond in 1791. Her husband, John Drummond, is listed as a wright in Bo'ness. This could be a second Marriage for John Drummond. Records for John Drummond & Johanna Cowan list James Drummond as their son.

I cannot find any mother for Catherine Drummond & her sisters; that is John Drummond's first spouse.

Can anyone help me?
    Thank you.

Maggieoo

Are you sure that the John who married in 1791 is not the girls’ brother? If he’s marrying at the same as them, it seems possible.... he would have been trained by his father, and would normally have gone into he family business.

Starting to feel at home

Hi Lesley,
    Thanks for input. I had the same thought; however, a person on Ancestry said that this John Drummond would probably be too young to be a ship wright. I'm glad if we are correct.
    Still can't find spouse for John Drummond, father of May, Catherine, Janet, & John? . There are two possibilities for parents of John Drummond :John Drummond & Margaret Mcauloh, Bo'ness; Alexander Drummond & Christian Stewart Bo'ness.
    Maggie

If you don’t know the person on Ancestry, I don’t think that this is a reason to dismiss the more likely relationship as a brother. It’s just an opinion. If he IS a son, he would have been raised in the business, and working as soon as he could hold tools. Do you know what sort of Wright’s they were?

You’re a bit handicapped by the fact that it’s a fairly common name, but there are no shortcuts. There are 3 lines of research that I would try:
    If their kids were marrying in the late 1790s, the parents were possibly born 20-30 years earlier. You have a tiny (but possible) chance that one or both lived into their 90s, thereby living into the tome of death certificates. Cross your fingers and check the deathcerts for 1855- Look for death certificate for the siblings - they should (if the informants knew) give the names of both parents.
    Check parish records, if you’re lucky you’ll find pre-1855 burial records, or even other comments... It was up to the Minister how much he recorded.