Brick wall demolition expert!

Default 1871 Census - Occupation

I was looking for someone in the 1871 census and I chanced upon another entry where the occupation of the individual appears to be CAR PROPRIETOR. Now this can't be an automobile, so I wondered if anyone can shed any light, as I just curious.

The entry is:

Daniel Parry aged 43 parish of Llanllyfni Piece 5712 Folio 71 Page 1

Just to put some context to the area, it was a slate quarry area with some lead and copper also and was going through a boom. There was also agriculture and the railway from the south had arrived a few years earlier on its way to Caernarfon, which about 10 miles further north.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Based on a carman being 'Driver of (horse-drawn) vehicles for transporting goods' could it mean simply that he owned the cart (and possibly the horse ), as opposed to being employed by someone?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I think a car proprietor was licensed to carry passengers - whether as an individual or through employing others.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Brick wall demolition expert!

Judging by the number of widows and widowers he must have had a thriving business!

What an excellent find.

What an interesting post.
    Has led to Charles Bianconi and his impact on travel in Ireland. Just read a great newspaper piece comparing the merits of early 19th century travelling by stage coach, post chaise or jaunting car in Ireland.

Diolch.