+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Displaced!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Default Displaced!

Hi, I am new here.
    I have been trying to unravel the secrets and lies about my so-called family and where I fit in since 1989.
    I think I was illegally adopted between 1955 and 1959, possibly here in the UK or Eastern Europe.
    One story I have been told is that my father who is supposed to be Polish was a pilot and flew in bombing raids against the Germans in WW2, but I haven't been able to find any evidence of this.

Super Moderator Lesley Robertson's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 1,136 Posts

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    The first thing I must do is remind you (and any potential helpers) that we do not allow details about (potentially) living people to be posted on the open forum.

Your search is a lot more modern than is normal here but the advice is pretty much the same. Put family stories to one side (regard them as clues rather than facts) and build a paper trail. The first thing to check is your own birth certificate.

We are not experts on adoption, especially when living people are involved. Our searches tend to be historical.

There were a lot of Polish airmen in the UK during WW2, and many died. If you have a possible name, you can check for him on The Commonwealth War Graves Comission site.

We have an adoption forum, you may find ideas there. Alternatively have a look at the Barnados website. They do a lot to help adoptees. The Salvation Army have an excellent family tracing service.

Lastly, you can have DNA tests - have a look at our forum about that and read the posts about the pros and cons.

+ Reply to Thread