Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thank you all! I have most of your details but the new bit of information that helps greatly is the 1891 census data! it clarifies the kids at that point, which helps with what we've been finding. Ancestry is only so much help! I'm having a bit of a problem with uncovering deaths - especially of little George, who apparently dies young? I also found an Amy Kate who was born in 1883 and apparently died young.

The other information I'm confused by the death details of Kate Davies Thompson - I'm under the assumption she moved to Birkenhead and passed there, vs. in Wales?

And then finally, the religion aspect - so difficult to find out if the Plymouth Brethren religion caused the separation from John's family or simply the move around the world. Prior to the USA, John Augustus did serve the military in a civilian capacity in Australia. Then around 1935'ish to 1946 he lived in the USA.

I do have marriage & birth certificates that confirm John Thompson (Pilot) and Kate (Davies) Thompson for John A and Edith K.

I'm so blessed to have a crew of your minds supporting this search - the picture/story is getting clearer each day with your help. Thank you! Tracy

Brick wall demolition expert!

The evidence that we have found does not seem to support the theory that there was any fracturing of the family for religious reasons, indeed Kate Thompson, John's mother left her home after husband died, and moved 160 miles north to live close him and his and wife, as shown by the 1911 census. By that time she had also lost 4 infant children, her eldest son, William Henry was settle and married, as was her eldest surviving daughter, Edith (although as I haven't found her in the 1911 census it's possible that she had also passed away), her other surviving son, Reginald was in Bath, Somerset learning to be a pharmist / chemist.

I haven't yet looked at the Davies family, as that name will be harder to follow because it is much more prevalent in Wales.

However, the other information that I have discovered is that both Reginald and Olive returned to Newport after WW1, and lived at the same address, even after Olive married Edward Sawle Clark in 1919. In 1927 having served in the Merchant Navy Reginald emigrated to Australia intending to work as a Chemist. I think however that he may have come back to UK as there is a death of man of right age called Reginald D Thompson in 1942 in Brentford, Middlesex. As for Olive, her husband was from Illfracombe, Devon and was in the Royal Navy and she joined him in Malta in 1927. He was killed in Nov 1944 when he was "Headmaster Lieut-Cmdr H.M.S “Victory IV”". I think it likely that Olive died in 1971 in Bournemouth, Dorset.

It is entirely possible that the religious influences came through the dockyards as there would have been a constant inflow and outflow of people from different parts of the country bringing with them their beliefs etc.

Kate Thompson's Children:

William Henry Born 1880 Newport, Monmouthshire Married Gladys Gwendoline Bevan Newport 31 May 1901

John Augustus Born 1882 Newport, Monmouthshire

Amy Kate Born 1883 Newport, Monmouthshire Died 1884 Newport, Monmouthshire

Edith Kate Born 1885 Newport, Monmouthshire 1904 married either Samuel Congram or John Edward Powell

Amy France Born 1887 Newport, Monmouthshire Died 1888 Newport, Monmouthshire

Reginald David Born 1889 Newport, Monmouthshire

George Carter Born 1890 Newport, Monmouthshire Died 1891 Newport, Monmouthshire

Olive Emily Born 1892 Newport, Monmouthshire Married Edward Sawle Clark 9 Oct 1919 in Newport. I think it likely that Olive died in 1971 in Bournemouth, Dorset.

Gladys Lilian Born 1896 Newport, Monmouthshire Unfortunately I haven’t managed to really anything about Gladys.

Elsie Amelia Born 1898 Newport, Monmouthshire Died 1899 Newport, Monmouthshire

Kate Thompson died in Newport, Monmouthshire in 1931. aged 74

July Quarter / Newport (Monmouthshire) / Volume 11A / Page 222

You can apply for her Will using the link shown in one of the earlier posts.

Once again I'm in awe of the help from all - thank you! How would the Wales history record a child's death - or reason for it? Obviously poor Kate seemed to have lost too many children in her day. Can't imagine.

It's startling to me that in all of our research we can't find one living Thompson that's carrying on the name - or who has pictures, or stories that only family history can tell. Perhaps the religion did reside with them - and for that reason inquiries stop short. Sad but I won't give up and will continue to hunt.

Thank you so much, all of you, for your help and information. Tracy

Death certificates record the cause of death irrespective of age.

Unfortunately infant mortality was something most families had to deal with. It could be due to poverty or diseases that today are easily treatable.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by TracyTill View Post

It's startling to me that in all of our research we can't find one living Thompson that's carrying on the name - or who has pictures, or stories that only family history can tell.

Tracy
    In my experience in the UK and Ireland, not every family has a huge interest in their ancestry and often when someone dies there’s a fairly ruthless clear out of their old photographs and personal possessions that later generations would love to see.
    ELWYN

I understand - it's a shame for the generations to follow, though. Sadly it happens here in the USA as well.

One final question for anyone - Elise Thompson was born to William Henry Thompson and Gladys Bevan Thompson in 1901 - I can't find her past 1911 when she was living with her Mom and family, it appears. We know Gladys had to take William to court for custody shortly after their wedding/Elise birth. Newport, Monmouthshire is the area of interest!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12