Thread: Briarpatch

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Cool Briarpatch

Hello, I am Briarpatch, and I live in Canberra Australia. This is my first foray into Brit Gen, although I have done quite a lot of research with Forces War Records, trying to trace where my father served, on the Western Front during WW1 (my dad was a 20 yr old Australian at Cambridge Uni in 1914 and joined the Suffolk Regt). He returned to Australia in the mid-1920s and I was born in 1940. My quest in this Forum is to find some other relatives who may have come from Ireland through Canada, and then eventually to Australia, in the early 1800s.

Hello Briarpatch, welcome to Brit- Gen.

Good luck with your research, I hope you're successful in finding relatives through the forums. If you think it would help, post a query giving relevant information and see if anyone can help you to further your research.
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Cool Briarpatch

Hello almach, Thanks for your welcoming response.

My 'quest' is to find someone who is related to, or knows about, a MR Burrowes who some 30 years ago posted numerous letters to addressees, with the same surname, in Australia seeking information about their possible connection to his family tree (of course this was pre-internet days, so there was no email).
    Mr Burrowes gave his address as Haywards Heath, W Sussex. The letter which I now have was sent to my mother in Brisbane, and I have only recently rediscovered it. I am not sure if we are somehow related. Our surnames are spelt the same. From my previous research, I am descended from a Robert Burrowes, who was born near Ottawa, Canada, in about 1825. His parents were James Burrowes and Henrietta Nixon (who were, I believe, of Irish descent). He migrated to Melbourne, Australia, in the mid 1850s and settled in the rural locality of Sandhurst, Victoria (now called Bendigo), at the time that gold was found in that area. His grand-son (my father) Robert Vivian Burrowes, joined the Suffolk Regiment in late-1914 and served on the Western Front (as mentioned in my introduction). He was awarded the Military Cross for action at Malakhoff Farm in August 1917. I was hoping that someone might have some information as to whether our families might be connected somewhere amongst our ancestors.

Hi Briarpatch, unfortunately it has been neccessary to modify your post as we don't allow the names of possible living people to be published, this is to protect their personal information.

I should have mentioned Brit-Gen's living people's policy in my first reply to you, apologies for not doing so.

After searching some online records I have established a PWB in 2002 was living at the address you have, he was aged 65+. Whether this is the same PWB or his son. or other relative, I cannot say. Searching the free index site FreeBMD (England and Wales), I found only two, one born 1932, the other 1951, however it is possible the chap you are interested in may have been registered without a middle name as middle names are sometimes added at a christening, or he could have been born in Scotland, Ireland or abroad. You could try writing to the address you have in the hope that either he, or one of his family relatives are at the address.
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Almach, I understand about the modifications to my last thread. I now recall reading about that when I started. Sorry, a lapse of memory. I had considered writing to that address, but thought that I would try this avenue first. I guess I was hoping that someone who reads these threads, might know someone who knows that Mr Burrowes. Following my introduction there are two users who read that entry. How do I 'contact' either of them, please? Being new to this site, I need some advice please.

Thanks for your assistance, and I apologise for the delay in responding. Regards, Briarpatch

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Briarpatch View Post
    Hello Almach, I understand about the modifications to my last thread. I now recall reading about that when I started. Sorry, a lapse of memory. I had considered writing to that address, but thought that I would try this avenue first. I guess I was hoping that someone who reads these threads, might know someone who knows that Mr Burrowes. Following my introduction there are two users who read that entry. How do I 'contact' either of them, please? Being new to this site, I need some advice please.

Thanks for your assistance, and I apologise for the delay in responding. Regards, Briarpatch
    You can't, because the system doesn't record (well, not in a way that anyone can see) who read which posts and when. It's highly unlikely (though not completely impossible) that anyone who read your first post would know Mr B. And if they did, I'm sure that by now they would have contacted you.

The BT phone book shows a Mr P B still living at the address Alma found in 2002, so I would follow Alma's advice and write to the address on the letter(s).

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”