Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Isaac Abraham Jacobs

Looking for birth/parent info on Isaac Abraham Jacobs b<1810> Exeter. Married Elizabeth Lewis 13 Nov 1833 @ St James, Bristol. Children of Isaac and Elizabeth are Abraham Isaac b1834, Emma b1839, Samuel b1841, Elizabeth b1843, Esther b1845, James b1849, Lydia b1857.

For clarity the family appear in the 1851 and 1861 census and I have not looked as yet in 1841. The marriage of Isaac to Elizabeth 13 Nov 1833 Bristol was a non Jewish marriage and the naming of a daughter Elizabeth with the same first name as her mother suggests that the family ( if Isaac was of Ashkenazi origin) were unlikely to have practised Jewish beliefs.

Isaac Abraham Jacobs maybe the same person buried in Abney Park Cemetery Stoke Newington in 1871 which was a non denominational cemetery.

Pat, do you have proof that Isaac was a Jew?

The 1851 Census-HO1949 240 4 (Copyright,TNA)
    1 Regent Place St Paul Bristol
    Isaac A JACOBS H M 40 Accountant b Devon Exeter
    Elizabeth wife 35 b Bristol
    Abraham son 16 b Bristol
    Emma dau 12 b Kingswood Gloucester
    Samuel son 10 b Kingswood Gloucester
    Elizabeth dau 8 b Bristol
    Esther dau 6 b Bristol
    James son 2 b Bristol
    Hannah LEWIS wife's sister u 27 Boot binder b Shirehampton Glocs

1861 (Crown Copyright,TNA) RG9 146 119 66
    Isaac S? Jacobs H M 50 Cl..Fruit Trade b Exteter
    Elizabeth wife 45 b Bristol
    Emma dau u 22 b Kingswood Gloucestershire
    Samuel son u 20 Cl..Tea Merchant b Kingswood Gloucestershire
    Elizabeth dau u 18 Teacher of Music b Bristol
    Esther dau u 16 b Bristol
    James son 12 b Bristol
    Lydia dau 4 b Bristol
    +1 servant +2 boarder

I will look further for Jacobs in Exeter Devon circa 1800s.

Phillip

1841 Census (Copyright TNA) HO107 361 16 7 8 9 17
    Kingswood Gloucestershire
    Isaac JACOBS 30 Accountant Not born in county
    Elizabeth Jacobs 25 Not born in county
    Abraham Jacobs 6 Not born in county
    Emma Jacobs 2 Born in county
    Samuel Jacobs 5 months born in county
    Hannah LEWIS 15 Not born in county

Phillip

There was an Abraham Jacobs Exeter Probate 1813 Quill and Pen Manufacturer administration to Judith Jacobs widow. There were Emanuel Jacobs quill, pen and pencil makers 1849-1855 and John Jacobs 1811-1836 Quill and Pen Manufacturer Exeter.

Whether or not Abraham Jacobs was the father of your Isaac Abraham Jacobs and John and Emanuel also related requires further research.

Phillip

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Thankyou Phillip. I only have oral history that Isaac was a Jew. The earliest info I can find for him is his marriage and 1841 census. I will research the quill and pen Jacobs to see if there is a link.

You might want to look at GENUKI Consolidated Index to Devon Wills which has the names Samuel Jacobs 1814; Jacob Jacobs 1836; Jane Jacobs 1830. These are only index references but Jacob Jacobs has a link to the Susser Archives West Country Jewish Wills and there is a photograph in the JCR UK Exeter Synagogue Archives The Jewish Cemetery Exeter for Jacob Jacobs 1836 age 57.

I looked briefly at Synagogue Scribes will extracts but couldn't locate Jacob but you may want to take a closer look at the Jacobs names. Samuel Jacobs i1814 s likely to be NA 577 with sons Samuel and John
    Jacobs may also appear in The Jews of Devon and Cornwall -Helen Fry 2000 Redcliffe.

Phillip