Default Deciphering Documents - HAYES - Royal Navy

I’m trying to do a favour for my elderly neighbour who is desperate to know about his father’s service in the Royal Navy. I have no experience of doing this but have tracked down three pages from National Archives. Gentleman in question is WILLIAM RICHARD HAYES J110426 DOB 8/11/08.

I’m stuck on two main issues and would massively appreciate any help you could give:

1) Although he served from 1919/20 to 1949, there seems to be a gap listing his war service. Last entry Calliope (Heythorp) 10/6/41. Begins again 10/1947 Daedalus Hennesford. Any idea why this is? What happened to the war years?

2) Am stuck on acronyms. Specifically:
    Trade/Occupation T.S.B
    Fracca/Gracca/Gracia (???) medal
    Conduct: DNA, PDA, RMG, RR

Thank you in advance for any help.

Susan

Hi Susan
    If you came to the British-Genealogy forums from FWR reading this will tell you why.

Your neighbour can apply for his father's full service record from the MoD as they hold all service records from 1920 onwards. This explains and gives the link where you can download the application forms. You will need a copy of his father's death certificate. BUT prior to 1972 Royal Naval personnel were given their service records on discharge. Only pay details were kept for Pension purposes. Therefore the only information held on RN personnel who served prior to 1972 is their service details (number, rank, name etc) and a list of dates and ships/shore bases.
    I am not up on the meaning of acronyms but I am sure someone else will be along to help.

Found this - RMG - Recommended for Medal & Gratuity
    RR - Recommended for Re-engagement
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs