Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Loves to help with queries

In one case I found, the page number of the FreeBMD image agreed with their database, but not that of the GRO Index. Given what you said, this must be an error in compiling the printed indices. This is one reason for going with the GRO index, if one expects to order certificates. However...the GRO index does not have some of the more recent entries, but FreeBMD does. Privacy restrictions??? Also; more recent FreeBMD entries show the full birthdate for deaths. This is a real bonus, if you find it! I should note that FreeBMD has to be used for marriages, since the GRO handles those differently.

I think I’ll use the GRO index first (and not worry about images of the index). I will look in the FreeBMD for marriages and ones I can’t find, especially deaths.

Knowledgeable and helpful

You may not be aware of another source which is helpful if you know the registration district of the events. This is UKbmd which is an index done relatively recently from the original registers, not the results which were sent to London and the GRO. This is not to say they are free of errors but the likelihood of transcription errors is reduced because there is only one step between the originals and the computer index. I find these are best used in tandem with the freebMD as only the year of the events is recorded, not the quarters, However, some include maiden names and ages at death much earlier than say freeBMD. Worth a try. pwholt

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by History_Hunter View Post
    In one case I found, the page number of the FreeBMD image agreed with their database, but not that of the GRO Index. Given what you said, this must be an error in compiling the printed indices. This is one reason for going with the GRO index, if one expects to order certificates. However...the GRO index does not have some of the more recent entries, but FreeBMD does. Privacy restrictions??? Also; more recent FreeBMD entries show the full birthdate for deaths. This is a real bonus, if you find it! I should note that FreeBMD has to be used for marriages, since the GRO handles those differently.

I think I’ll use the GRO index first (and not worry about images of the index). I will look in the FreeBMD for marriages and ones I can’t find, especially deaths.
    The clue is in the title of the index on the GRO site - Historical births and deaths. 'Historical' is classed as x number of years ago. Some sites, such as ScotlandsPeople, extend their database year by year. The GRO won't do this. Long story, but basically some years ago they started to prepare a new index but then funding stopped and so did the new index. Hence why we have births to 1917, deaths to 1957, and no marriages.

Death certificates from June quarter1969 include the date of birth instead of age at death, and the details given in the index have been amended accordingly.

Although I use FreeBMD for my initial searches I always check the transcription to the actual image.

The GRO Index from 1984 to 2005 can be found on Ancestry. FMP have the Index to September quarter 2007.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

GRO digitisation of Birth Registers got as far as 1934, so the coverage of the pdf service should extend each year as they become 100 years old ( they did this last year when coverage extended from 1916 to 1917 entries).

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonyMMM View Post
    GRO digitisation of Birth Registers got as far as 1934, so the coverage of the pdf service should extend each year as they become 100 years old ( they did this last year when coverage extended from 1916 to 1917 entries).
    Thank you for that little nugget.
    The mother's maiden name has been shown in the GRO Index since September quarter 1911, but (a) it's handy to have confirmation that the original index was correct, and (b) being able to order another year of PDF certificates.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by AntonyMMM View Post
    Thanks for noting this. I will continue to check back to see if a needed entry is available.

Pam;

I was trying to formulate a citation for the FreeBMD images, because I too check them. I tend to like the ANC ones, because they seem clearer. They often have an LDSxxxx image or an ANCxxxx image. I am reasonably sure the LDS ones are from LDS films. Are the ANC ones from the OHS fiche?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123