Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Devsom View Post
    Thank you for all the help the 1861 census that has been found is really interesting. I think my Samuel isn’t the boy aged 6 but the grandson aged 0. I have a birth certificate for a Samuel Smith born 15 th April 1860 at the Union Workhouse in Bridgewater. His mother was Elizabeth Smith, his father is unknown.
    If you have the marriage cert that says his fathers name is James then the one you want is the other one, not the born 1860 if his birth cert has no fathers name on it he would not be able to put a fathers name on his marriage cert. Living in a small place every one would know he had no father. its not like now where grandparents say they are the parents of a daughters child and can get away with it.

I would say the 2 boys John and Samuel age 0 on the 1861 census are brothers are Daughters Elizabeth's children.
    You need to find the birth cert for Samuel Smith age 6 born North Curry, Somerset son of James Smith order from the GRO and ask for cross reference fathers name James.
    North Curry comes under Taunton.

Births Dec 1854 one of these father James
    Smith Samuel Taunton 5c 384
    Smith Samuel Taunton 5c 386

Check out this birth as well for brother John mother Elizabeth Smith
    Births Jun 1860
    SMITH John Bridgwater 5c 445

Post #7 has the 6 year Samuel's baptism.

I know who my money is on!!!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123