Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Goodman, born Kiev lived London

It's a forlorn hope, which has troubled people for many years. My great grandfather Louis Goodman and his wife Rebecca arrived in London between the birth of their daughter Annie in 1892 and son Marks in 1896. The family was deported sometime between 1905 and 1908 (son Reuben born 1905 in London, Louis dies in London 1909) and returned to London 1908-09. Rebecca dies and is buried in Kiev during this time, Louis returns with the children, and on his death in 1909 the younger children end up in a workhouse before being moved on. I think I've found the oldest son Hyman living with an uncle in the 1911 census, and Annie working as a domestic servant. One son ends up in Australia (Marks) and my grandfather (Barney) ends up in New Zealand.
    Rebecca's maiden name is recorded differently on the birth certificates of the children born in London - could be Scorizan or Suerezin or something sounding like that.
    We don't know when or how the brothers emigrated to the southern hemisphere - Barney was in the merchant navy, and it is possible he just abandoned ship in New Zealand.
    Kiev is an impenetrable black hole, it is entirely possible no records of any kind exist. My grandfather said he had cousins in London and Brighton, but we have no idea who they were, and there was some connection to a St Marks clothing factory.
    Are any of these names familiar to anybody? I have tried jewishgen but unfortunately couldn't locate anything

Ruth
    As a help my own line Rosina Hart was in the workhouse on the death of her mother in 1897 age 15 and then transferred to the Jews Hospital Norwood which was a Jewish Orphanage. She then went to Australia as a domestic servant. Her brother Alfred was also placed in the Jews Hospital Norwood but I have no record of what happened to him beyond a photo when he was in his early 20s.

Looking at the St Pancras Workouse records I can see Marks Goodman b 1897; Davis Goodman b 1900; Lena Goodman 1902; Barney Goodman b 1904 all together and with a date of 17.9.1909 for discharge or moving on.
    I will look further for you.
    By the way, the term 'emigration' for the children maybe too generous because usually they were sent to Canada, NZ, Australia as part of policies for settling orphans. There are records for the Jew's Hospital Norwood but application is required from memory.

Phillip

Some but not all of them went to Norwood, David and Lena were admitted there in January 1910. Marks, Barney and Reuben appear to be in a school in Kings Lynn on the 1911 census. There is a Hyman the right age living with an uncle (Mordecai) on the 1911 census, and an Annie working as a domestic servant in Marylebone.
    By 1915 Marks is in Australia, and enlisting in the army, giving his next of kin as Mrs R Goodman in Commercial street London. If I have the right Hymen on the 1911 census this would be Rosie wife of Mordechai Goodman.
    I'm unable to find when Barney arrived in New Zealand - he marries my grandmother there in about 1939 - I can't locate an exact date as it's still within the confidential period for NZ BMD searches (and my mother doesn't know).
    It's the impossibility of going back any further beyond Louis, or being sure of his wife's surname which is frustrating! Perhaps the 1921 census becoming available in a few years will help resolve a few things. And Louis is buried in an East London Jewish cemetery open only by appointment, apparently he has a large ornate headstone (in Hebrew) which is odd as they were dirt poor......

For clarification- the Poor Law Records also show Reuben Goodman 1906 Passed from Marylebone Admission 17.9.09 discharge same day and also Barnet July 22 .09 age 5 Jewish; Lena 7;Davis 9;Marks 11; Reuben 3 all at University College Hospital with the note father Louis widower To be given up to father.
    Does this record then suggest that just prior to Louis taking the children back he died or did he take the children back and then died. If so, where are Poor Law Records to indicate that the children were then re-admitted to the workhouse or else passed on to another institute such as the Jew's Hospital?
    What were the children doing in the University College Hospital? Why were they admitted to the workhouse for 1 day or have I misread the records?
    I can see a record for Marks Goodman death 1983 burial Palmdale Lawn Cemetery NSW. Is he the son of Louis aka Lewis?

Will look further.
    Phillip

Hi Phillip, That's mysterious - Louis died in UCLH on 25/7/1909 of pneumonia. It is entirely possible they were under poor laws during the time he was in hospital

And yes that is the correct Marks Goodman - he has descendants but when my aunt tried to contact them she was told to stay away and they had no interest in contact with any relatives

The following Jewish Chronicle Oct 29 1909 provides an interesting insight into the treatment of Eastern European Jews under The Administration of the Aliens Act 1905 and The London Immigration Board. The article refers to several Jews who were denied UK settlement including a relative of a Samuel GOODMAN:
    Moises Poluch, a baker and weaver from Bielstock came to the UK to avoid Russian military service. Mr Samuel Goodman who claimed to be a relative told the Board that he could obtain immediate employment for Moises. He himself was a watch maker and kept a shop. The Board dismissed the appeal.

I have no idea if Samuel Goodman is a relative of Louis and noted that in 1901 Census there is a Louis Goodman with wife Rebecca ; Hyman son 11; Annie dau 9; Marks 9 and David 11 - at Tudor Place St Pancras . Louis is 36 a boot maker b Russia Foreign Subject as are the other family members barring Marks and David b Spitalfields

If this is the correct family I will post full Census reference.

Phillip

Ruth
    A quick question- you said #1 Rebecca is buried in Kiev. Do you have proof and if so, what does the record state. I have relatives from the Pale of Settlement who came to the UK circa 1880s and know that only some Jews were allowed to live in places such as Kiev based on occupation and education usually.

The Russian Jewish last names can often end with 'in' but I also name from my own relatives that their last name bears no relationship to the Anglicised names they adopted in the UK nor does the names of their parents which are Russian names but also Jewish patronymic names depending on various records.

I am aware that various Jewish BMD records exist for areas such as Transcarpathia and other regions - have you seen these records?

Phillip

Hi Phillip, No documentary evidence she is buried in Kiev, but that is what members of the family say. Davids son Lewis also came to New Zealand and knew far more about the family than we ever did - he also had some old photos, but since his death a few years ago I'm unsure what became of them. They were originally from Kiev, so it would make sense for them to return there when they were deported. Family anecdote is that many Russian Jews were told they must take British citizenship to remain in the UK, Louis is reputed to have said he was born a Russian and would die a Russian and refused to take citizenship. Thus the deportation along with many others. I haven't been able to find any Jewish records for BMD for Kiev for that time. As an aside Lewis told us that Russian was the only language spoken inside the house when he was a child.