Default Perry Family Tree

Hi, this is my first post. I would appreciate some help with tracing my Perry family tree.

This is what I have found out so far. My grandfather was Dudley Walter Perry 1891-1985 born in Bow London, his father was Walter James Perry 1866-1951 born in Kensington London, his father was George William Perry 1829-? Born in Kensington London.

I know my grandfather stayed at the “Kings Arms Inn” in Waltham Abbey Essex around 1901 while he was a motor mechanic working on boats on the River Lee. I looked at the 1901 Census and found that the Inn Keeper was Henry Perry 1845-? Born in Chigwell Essex, his father was George Perry 1819-? Born in Chigwell Essex and his father was John Perry 1791-? Born in Chigwell Essex. My grandfather was not at this address during the census return.

I cannot find a link between these two Perry lines (it could be pure coincidence that a Perry was the Inn Keeper). Are there any Perry’s out there that recognise any of these names or facts or would like to contact me about this information?

Thanks, Martin Perry

First observations.

My grandfather was Dudley Walter Perry 1891-1985 born in Bow London, his father was Walter James Perry 1866-1951 born in Kensington London
    Walter James Perry was a licensed victualler in 1901 in Highbridge St, Waltham Abbey, no name of public house on census.

Is it a coincidence that your grandfather stayed at the Kings Arms in 1901 where the licensee was a Henry Perry? Possibly, but certainly worth investigating. It does seem conceivable that Henry and Walter are related.
    Alma

I know my grandfather stayed at the “Kings Arms Inn” in Waltham Abbey Essex around 1901 while he was a motor mechanic working on boats on the River Lee. I looked at the 1901 Census and found that the Inn Keeper was Henry Perry 1845-? Born in Chigwell Essex,
    The Kings Arms run by Henry Perry in 1901 is in Saffron Walden, not Waltham Abbey (if I have the right Henry) RG13; Piece: 1735; Folio: 48; Page: 9

Is it more likely that Walter James Perry was licensee of a public house in Waltham Abbey named also the Kings Arms, (bearing in mind his public house isn't named in 1901).
    Alma

It does seem that your g.grandfather Walter James Perry was the licensee of the Kings Arms in Waltham Abbey.

King's Arms, High Bridge Street, Waltham Abbey (High Bridge St is the address your grandfather and g.grandfather were at in 1901)
    https://
    pubshistory.com/EssexPubs/WalthamAbbey/kingarms.shtml
    Alma

My grandfather was Dudley Walter Perry 1891-1985
    I know my grandfather stayed at the “Kings Arms Inn” in Waltham Abbey Essex around 1901 while he was a motor mechanic working on boats on the River Lee.
    Martin, the above doesn't seem likely; grandfather born 1891 - a motor mechanic in 1901 (age 10!!!)
    Alma

Thanks for all your help. The Essex Pubs site has provided a lot of information. I can see all the Perry names that I recognise recorded there. You are correct that my grandfather would not have been a mechanic aged 10 but I assumed they may have still been living there for the next few years when my grandfather would have "started work".

Thanks again for all your help, I need to look at this information in more detail.
    Thanks, Martin Perry

Thanks again for all your help, I need to look at this information in more detail.
    You're very welcome, Martin. If we at Brit - Gen can help you further please don't hesitate to ask.
    Alma

I have looked again at the information and the 1901 census does not actually say “Kings Arms” or “Kings Arms Inn”. This is what caused the confusion. My grandfather was definite about the name, he said it was the “Kings Arms Inn” which led me to the pub in Saffron Waldon, but this was obviously the wrong pub.

I think the Perry Inn Keeper at Saffron Waldon may be a red herring and at this stage I have put the information to one side because I am unable to find any links.

The pub at Waltham Abbey must be correct because the names and dates are all correct. The pub web site has given me a lot of information and I have already located one of his other pubs. Thanks for that information.

The most valuable tip I have learnt from all this is that Census records show an address but not necessarily the name of the pub.

Thanks again Martin Perry

Chelmsford Chronicle, 11 May 1900

" ... charged with having stolen and received five homer pigeons, value £10, the property of Walter James Perry, landlord of the King's Arms, Waltham Abbey."

A Walter James Perry acquired the licence of the Gossett Arms, Gossett Street in Nov 1906 (Shoreditch Observer)and the licence was transferred from him to John Bennett Baker, Oct 1907
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"