Thread: John Herbert

Loves to help with queries

Default John Herbert

If the research that I have done so far is correct then John Herbert was baptised 17.April.1785 in Sevenhampton Gloucestershire, his parents were John Herbert & Mary Welch.

John Herbert married Sarah Townsend 27.Nov.1810 in Charlton Kings Gloucestershire. John's occupation is a "Baker"

On the 1851 Census record John is living with his Son-in-Law James Brown in Sevenhampton, Charlton Kings Gloucestershire.

John's youngest daughter Louisa marries in 1854 and John is named as father although it does not say "deceased" so I'm assuming he his still alive, after this I am unable to find him.

Any help finding him would be a great help.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by gardenpest29 View Post
    John's youngest daughter Louisa marries in 1854 and John is named as father although it does not say "deceased" so I'm assuming he his still alive, after this I am unable to find him.
    I'd never assume a father is alive based on one of his children's marriage certificate. There's many examples to refute that belief.

Has this burial been considered.

Charlton Kings, Gloucestershire, John Herbert, buried 25th Aug 1852, age 67yrs
    Alma

Knowledgeable and helpful

I have several marriages where the father is deceased but it doesn't say so on the Cert. I suppose if the Vicar didn't ask, or the info wasn't given, he may well presume the father to be alive.

Possible death

John Herbert Jun 1852 Cheltenham 6a 237 aged 67 (yob 1785)

Emeltom

Thank you both, I shall order the death certificate and keep my fingers crossed.

Gloucestershire Wills
    https://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/ge...y/Results.aspx

Unfortunately, it does not identify "occupation" for "1852 John Herbert Cheltenham".

FindMyPast's Index to wills has "1852, John Herbert, executor Peter Herbert". There may also be an entry on A****y. (I don't have access).
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thank you helachau, but think it could be the wrong John Herbert.
    There is a John Herbert aged 63, living with his son Peter in Cheltenham on the 1851 Census record so could well be him.
    I have not found any links to a Peter Herbert in my search.

Have you checked the John Herbert whose death at the age og 83 was registered in Banbury in the June quarter of 1871? He'd just about be the right age...