Hi. I've just joined the board. I've been exploring my family history for several decades now. Some years ago I was shocked to find my great grandfather, George Tidman, listed in the 1891 census as an inmate in Dartmoor Prison. From the sensationalistic newspaper accounts, he attempted to murder his girlfriend in March of 1882. I've found any number of newspaper accounts, but I don't know where to even begin to look for official records. The newspapers say that he was charged at the Coventry County Petty Sessions, and was committed to take his trial at the next Assizes.

Apparently he was found guilty, and sentenced to 20 years. However, he was free in 1893, and in March of 1894 he marries my grandmother, Gertrude Bigrave--then in training to become a Salvation Army officer. The family soon immigrates to Canada, leaving this past behind. I am sure that neither my father, nor his father, was aware of any of this.

In partial explanation of the early release I found a May 24 1889 Coventry Herald and Free Press newspaper article that reads as follows:

"The Convict Tidman--At the Foleshill Board of Guardians on Wednesday the Rev. T. C. P. Pyemont presented for signature a memorial to the Home Secretary praying for a deduction in the sentence of a convict named Tidman, a native of Shilton, who was in 1872 (sic) committed for twenty tears for attempting to murder his wife (sic). The petition alleges inaccuracies in the evidence given at the trial, and points out mitigation circumstances which the memorialists believe would justify a reduction in the sentence. The petition, which has received the signatures of the Lord Lieutenant (Lord Leigh) and Colonel Woollcombe, was signed by the Chairman and several members of the Board."

My guess is that this effort was ultimately successful. However, he was still in prison when the census was taken in 1891.

I would really appreciate any suggestions for how to obtain more information about any of the above family mystery. Thanks.