Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default BARNETT, JACOBS, LAZARUS, COHEN 1800s London

Elizabeth BARNETT married (1805) Eleazer LAZARUS (son of Yoseph of Worms) of Chiswell Street. No father's name is recorded for Elizabeth (synagoguescribes Great Synagogue marriages).

Eleazer LAZARUS died in 1825. In 1841 Elizabeth is with her adult children (Joseph LAZARUS is Head) and with them also is 13-yr-old Eleazer JACOBS. With Elizabeth in the 1851 and 1861 censuses is Isabella JACOBS, born c.1836.

I am trying to work out if and how Eleazer and Isabella JACOBS are related, and more particularly, how they're related to Elizabeth LAZARUS nee BARNETT.

As far as I can work out, 'my' Eleazer JACOBS is the one in this family in the 1851 Census:
    Jacob Jacobs 68 General Dealer born city Houndsditch
    born Middx Spitalfields:
    Hannah Jacobs 61
    Moses Jacobs 25 General Dealer
    Eleazer Jacobs 19 Slipper Maker

This in turn corresponds to a 1852 Great Synagogue marriage between Eleazer/Eliezer b Jacob and Dinah KIZAR. By 1860 they were in the United States.

Isabella JACOBS is harder to nail down. Whichever family she belongs to, it almost certainly isn't Eleazer JACOB's, though they could of course be cousins. She is very possibly the same Isabella JACOBS who married Abraham SAMUELS in 1868. (Abraham was born in Chatham, Kent. The rest are from London)

No relatives turn up in census records with either Isabella or Eleazer after these marriages to give clues about their families. I haven't ordered marriage certificates yet.

What I REALLY want to know is, who was Eleazer LAZARUS (remember him?). I'm not sure that know who the JACOBS families are, or how they're related to each other and to Elizabeth, will help me work that out, but it's about the only trail I haven't followed yet. Eleazer LAZARUS had been in partnership with a Samuel COHEN that was ended in 1815, but I haven't been able to find out any more about this person.

Any help with this lot would be most appreciated.

Forgot to mention that Isabella JACOBS was recorded as niece to Elizabeth LAZARUS nee BARNETT in the census records.

Eve
    Did you see two sources of data on the Eleazer Jacobs =Dinah aka Ann lines? The first just in case you missed the data is- British Jewry Leeds Data base. This data base has Eleazer jacobs and Dinah aka Ann with data on Isabella Jacobs b abt 1838-1905 buried Plashett Cemetery =Abraham Samuels b abt 1833-1921. There is a sister Rosetta for Isabella.

Next- this is an important source because it includes information from descendants of Elezear and Dinah particularly Jacob Jacobs 1859-1928 b Boston USA- see Geni Finding a Jacobs Family in Spitalfields- Leonard Allen Jacobs 1/4/2015

Will look further for Eleazer Lazarus.

Hope this is a helpful start.

Phillip

Eve
    Just in case this data was missed- we know that Eleazer Lazarus and Samuel Cohen were in partnership at 46 Chiswell street and 168 Shoreditch in 1814 and Samuel Cohen and Co India Muslim Warehouse 168 Shoreditch in 1811. There is a Samuel Cohen linen draper with wife Priscilla and 2 daughters aged 17 and 15 at 168 Shoreditch - see Old Bailey online trials -Sarah Lyons Theft 18 Sept 1820
    See also The London Gazette Samuel Cohen 168 Hollywell St Shoreditch Middx Bankrupt in Kings Bench Prison linen draper and Muslim Warehouseman 1824

Might prove useful to identify who Priscilla wife of Samuel Cohen maiden name was to see if she was a Lazarus or Jacobs.
    Phillip

Default thanks - and more on Eleazer LAZARUS

Phil, as always, you're a brick. No, wait...smasher of bricks! (I was waiting for you to respond, in fact.) I didn't have any of that data, or not from the sources you mention. Not sure I'll have time to follow it up now (about to leave the country for 6 weeks), but I'm going to make note of it all - and try not to get distracted from packing!
    I think you've found more information than I had about Eleazer LAZARUS and COHEN. If you can find out more about Eleazer's origins/natal family, I will be very thankful, if only to eliminate him from what I think is a single Lazarus tribe of families dispersed by the early 1800s - to Exeter, London, Portsmouth and possibly Birmingham.

Should add that I believe Eleazer's father was Yosepha/Yespe/Joseph of Worms and that Eleazer had a sister Betsy who married Elia JACOBS of Rosemary Lane (I think you may already have this - from Synagoguescribe). My focus on Eleazer is because two of his sons married sisters from Exeter. Joseph LAZARUS married Caroline DAVIS and Benjamin married Caroline's sister Priscilla. Joseph was elected as Deputy for Exeter. This may all have nothing to do with my Exeter Lazarus family (who were very active as congregation members at the time). Once Joseph married Caroline (however that connection came about), that would lead easily to his brother marrying her sister and perhaps also make him a good choice to represent Exeter to the board of Deputies. In fact, I think one or more of my LAZARUS family objected to him being chosen, but that can happen in the best of families (and as I recall, the member was wanting the post himself). But what I'm trying to do is work which of all the connected-by-marriage/business LAZARUS families have multiple connections and which are peripheral/coincidental and can be eliminated from a possible single family tribe.

A (minor?) puzzle about Eleazer's life. Eleazer and Elizabeth married in 1805. Of their children I know of one who died in 1813 and three others born by 1815. Then there's a gap of six years before the births of at least seven children born between about 1821-1826. (Joseph is head of the household in 1841. With him are his mother and his younger siblings.) So where was he/where are any kids born between 1815 and 1821? (I thought he'd been shipped of to Australia, but that was someone else who ended up staying there.)
    Another point: Eleazer had been previously married (1802) to Maria (Merle bat Jacob Aharon KZ) COHEN. Were Maria COHEN, wife, and Samuel COHEN, business partner, related? (Does this tell me any more about who Eleazer was, or is it a red herring?)

Eve
    A short note- the Eleazer Jacobs=Dinah Kizar aka Dientje Levie Keijzer 1831-1902 died Boston USA; Eliezer Jacobs 1832 1872 died Boston. These lines are on Dutch Jewry online family trees plus Ancestry.Com which is the Leonard Allen Jacobs family tree- this has GRO Death Certificates for Jacob Jacobs died aged 92 4 July 1873 -15 Coburg Ball Lane Spitalfields Informant E?HARRIS 3 Bell Lane; Jacob's wife GRO Death Certificate is also on the same family tree.
    Will look further and post relevant data.
    Have a great trip.
    Phillip

Default JACOBS, Eleazer; JACOBS, Isabella

[QUOTE=phillip;661048]
    <Did you see two sources of data on the Eleazer Jacobs =Dinah aka Ann lines? The first just in case you missed the data is- British Jewry Leeds Data base. This data base has Eleazer jacobs and Dinah aka Ann with data on Isabella Jacobs b abt 1838-1905 buried Plashett Cemetery =Abraham Samuels b abt 1833-1921. There is a sister Rosetta for Isabella.>

Staring me right in the face. D'oh! Isabella was entered as granddaughter to Elizabeth LAZARUS in one census and niece in another. All rather confusing/wrong because I think Isabella was actually her great-niece-by-marriage. Eleazer JACOBS' parents were Elias JACOBS and Betsy LAZARUS, sister of Elizabeth's husband, Eleazer LAZARUS.

I will have to double-check and make sure that works out. Don't know how I missed this - got it into my head from the beginning that Eleazer J. and Isabella J. were the same generation. Never trust an enumerator!

Default Eleazer JACOBS; Isabella JACOBS

[QUOTE=Eve Mary;661056][QUOTE=phillip;661048]
    <Did you see two sources of data on the Eleazer Jacobs =Dinah aka Ann lines? The first just in case you missed the data is- British Jewry Leeds Data base. This data base has Eleazer jacobs and Dinah aka Ann with data on Isabella Jacobs b abt 1838-1905 buried Plashett Cemetery =Abraham Samuels b abt 1833-1921. There is a sister Rosetta for Isabella.>

Phil,

Looking over my material again, I do have some of the information you posted. Some of it is wrong.
    Re: Eleazer Jacobs =Dinah aka Ann
    Dinah and Ann were not the same person and they married different Eleazer Jacobs.
    One married Dinah KIZAR (Kaiser) and this is the couple that went to the US. I had found them and confirmed via GRO birth records that they were the same couple. But I can’t find them in my database – I think I must have realised they were the wrong set and didn’t enter them.

The other Eleazer Jacobs married Ann ISAACS:

From synagoguescribes-
    Reference: GSMa 078/42 1848 [21 May]
    Family Name JACOBS
    Forenames Eliezer
    Hebrew Name Eliezer
    Father’s Hebrew Name Eli

Family Name ISAACS
    Forenames Ann
    Hebrew Name Kenandel
    Father’s Hebrew Name Joel

death and burial info for Ann LAZARUS nee ISAACS:
    Died 07 Apr 1876
    GRO: not found [possibly FreeBMD Deaths Mar 1876
    Jacobs Ann 76 Whitechapel 1c 235]
    Buried West Ham Jewish Cemetery (Buckingham Rd)
    Inscription: Ann widow of the late Eleazer Elias JACOBS who departed this life April 7th 1876 5636 aged 78 years.
    From the Hebrew inscription: Mrs Sheina widow of Mr Eliezer bar Eli died Friday 13 Nisan 5636
    Not found in United Synagogue online burial records.

Eleazer b Eli JACOBS would be the nephew of Eleazer LAZARUS and Elizabeth nee BARNETT.
    Eleazer LAZARUS’s sister Betsy (Breindla) married Elias (Eli /Eliahu b Meyer pencil maker) JACOB 07 Dec 1796.
    Their son Eleazer JACOBS married (1)1827 Sarah Maria (Sarah Merla b Eliazer) LAZARUS and (2) Ann ISAACS (1848).
    Sarah Maria was still alive for the 1841 census and the children are hers and Eliazer’s: Morris, Joseph, Isabella, Rosetta and Priscilla. She was dead by 1848 when her husband remarried.

QUESTION: Was Sarah Maria (Sarah Merla bat Eliezer) LAZARUS related to her husband’s grandmother – Betsy LAZARUS – and therefore to Betsy’s brother Eleazer?

QUESTION: One or two Isabella JACOBS? Who is who?
    Eleazer and Sarah Maria JACOBS’ daughter Isabella was with them in the 1841 census (age 4) and in 1851 (age 13), therefore born c.1836/7 (or 1837/8).

The Isabella JACOBS with Elizabeth LAZARUS in the 1851 census was 15 (born c. 1836) and recorded as Elizabeth’s niece. This could be Elizabeth’s great niece, daughter of Eleazer and Sarah Maria, except that she would be in the same census in two different households, with a 2-year age difference ( ages 13, 15).

With Elizabeth LAZARUS in the 1861 census is Isabella JACOBS, granddaughter, age 20 (born c. 1841), but there are no births recorded on FreeBMD for anyone of that name and age.
    Elizabeth has two other grandchildren with her, Jane and Sarah Phillips (children of her daughter Esther and husband Phillip PHILLIPS), so it is conceivable that Isabella was lumped in with these children as grandchildren.

One child listed once in 1841 and twice in the 1851 census, of approximately matching birth years, just prior to the beginning of civil records, and once in 1861, but 5 years too young (and no matching birth record).

Solve that if you can! (P.S. I hope I worked out Eleazer JACOB's relationship to Eleazer LAZARUS properly. Nephew, right?) (I'm brain dead.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast