Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Earl descendants Little Plumstead Norfolk UK

I am trying to locate any descendants from the Earl's located in Norfolk in the late 1700's. I have traced back to Henry Earl born abt. 1794 in Lynn, Norfolk.

I believe his parents were John Earl and Ann Norton who resided at Little Plumstead Norfolk England and i think John and Ann Norton had Children Henry, Ann, Henry(Another one) Esther, Mary Ann and Sarah Earl. I think the second Henry and Ann children died young like 3 or 4 years possibly but the dates seem to close on both their christening and death records (Aug and Dec christened 1789 and Aug and Sept 1792 burials)?

I am stuck on who the parents of John Earl and Ann Norton may be and was wondering if anyone out there may be descendants that can share some light on the history or have already completed research on this family?

mik

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Mik, and welcome.

This isn't my family, and I haven't looked into them at all, but taking what you say at face value, I wonder if you might have stumbled across two separate John and Ann Earl families. It's quite common for a child to be given the name of an older deceased sibling, but much less so for them to have the same name as one who's still alive. The baptisms in August and December 1789 also make me wonder, though it is of course possible that the older one was baptised at 6 months old or more, and the younger one soon after birth. Have you seen the original registers, and do they have any dates of birth?

I'm also a bit doubtful because you mention Lynn and Little Plumstead - although they're both in Norfolk, they're a long long way apart. Since Lynn is in the far west of the county, for someone that you know was born there it's just as likely that his ancestors were from a neighbouring county - in this case Lincolnshire or Cambridgeshire (Isle of Ely) - as from the other end of Norfolk.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello, and thankyou.

My Apologies i have traced Henry Earl christened in St, Margaret, Lynn, Norfolk but residing in Little Plumstead, Norfolk according to a births and christening record found on familysearch.org. Stated he was christened on 14 May 1794. I have his sons connection Hennson Earl who was born and resided in Kings Lynn (about 50-60miles from Little Plumstead) before he boarded the Merkara S.S ship and migrated to Australia Queensland. I am fairly certain of that link and Henry Earl record found on family search.org has John Earle and Ann as parents (Although the E is on the end of Earl that tends to drop on and off through history).

There are only 1 john and Ann in norfolk at the time that i can see. The other john and Ann are in the mid 1800's which doesnt match date wise. Looking at it again i got my dates a bit mixed and you are right about the two henry with the same name the first henry christened in 1789 and buried in 1792 and then the Henry earl which had Hennson earl was born 2 years after in 1794. Still don't know why this Ann earl would have been so close to the first Henry with christening and burial but according to the records everything matched with the residence in Little Plumstead Norfolk and all siblings christened in the same place at St. Margaret, Lynn, Norfolk.

Unfortunately i havent seen the original registers or know the exact dates of birth just going off what i can find under the search's.

From Here Ancestry.com wants to give me the option of John Earl coming from Charles Earl and Ann Taylor or Richard Earl and Martha Daynes. Looking at both Johns from these parents they were both born a month apart in June and July 1769. I believe it may be the richard and martha parents i am after as the other John appears to marry an elizabeth sendall with the parents of charles and ann listed on the marriage cert in the following years.

Very hard without citing birth records but i guess it is the 1700's so i cant expect it to be simple :-)

I'm still confused about where Little Plumstead comes from. The original registers can be seen at FamilySearch in the collection "England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997" at
    https://www.
    familysearch.org/search/collection/1416598?collectionNameFilter=false

(The same images are at The Genealogist, but you have to pay to see them. There's an index there, I'm not so sure about FamilySearch.)

FamilySearch also has the Archdeacon's Transcripts, an annual return/copy of the register, ("England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812") - browse only, at
    https://www.
    familysearch.org/search/collection/1824688?collectionNameFilter=false

I was able to check all the children you mention in the PRs, with The Genealogist's index, and browsed to Henry 1794 in the ATs, and nowhere did I see any mention of Little Plumstead. What am I missing?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for attaching the links i will have a look and double check the info. I am thinking Maybe i have been searching the wrong Henry Earl. I have Hennson and Mary Earl's photo's and ship records when they came to Australia. Hennson's parents i thought was Henry and susanna but maybe this is wrong. I will have another look at the records maybe i have missed something there.

You have been a great help so far thank you. I am still only new to this research been at it for about 4 months now and learning everyday :-)

Hen(d/n)son Earl, born King's Lynn, c. 1833 can be readily found in the 1841, 1851, 1871 and 1881 Census. However, in 1861 he has been mistranscribed (at least on FMP) as Harrison Earl, Census ref. RG09 - Piece 2527 - Folio 67 - Page 8.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you helachau,

Yes that is the Hennson that migrated to Australia. I have the S.S Merkara ship records from 31 May 1884. He migrated to Australia with Mary his wife, children Arthur, Anne, Amy and Fredrick and all the dates and ages match to those census records. He migrated 2 years after his eldest son Harold came to Australia on the Chyebassa also got.

Hennson died in in Rockhampton Qld 16 July 1896.

I am now just searching to make sure i get his parents correct. I thought it was Henry and Susannah but will check again to make sure it isn't someone completely different.

I have Hennson wife Mary death certificate and it states her father is Henry Hall and her mother was Anne White. So I believe that when Hennson and Mary got married their fathers were recorded as Henry Hall and Henry Earl but i cant remember where i seen that and should have saved it. That is why i am sure Hennson's father is Henry but it is making sure i find the correct details for Henry.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

ok, so everything i had back to Henry and Susannah i believe is correct. Henry was located in 3 Guanock Terrace Kings Lynn in a 1851 census. I am just not sure anymore about Henry's parents I think they might have been John and Ann BUT that is only because when i do a search on familysearch for a Henry Earl born in Norfolk in 1794 i come up with a henry EarlE (with an 'e' on the end) born 14 may 1794.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ace%3Anorfolk~

This is where the Little Plumstead comes into the search.

Maybe its a dead end as the henry earle could be a completely different person... :-/ I just wonder though as the christening place of St. Margaret, Lynn seems in the right district? yet the residence of Little Plumstead is 50 miles away?

mik

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerl View Post
    ok, so everything i had back to Henry and Susannah i believe is correct. Henry was located in 3 Guanock Terrace Kings Lynn in a 1851 census. I am just not sure anymore about Henry's parents I think they might have been John and Ann BUT that is only because when i do a search on familysearch for a Henry Earl born in Norfolk in 1794 i come up with a henry EarlE (with an 'e' on the end) born 14 may 1794.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ace%3Anorfolk~

This is where the Little Plumstead comes into the search.

Maybe its a dead end as the henry earle could be a completely different person... :-/ I just wonder though as the christening place of St. Margaret, Lynn seems in the right district? yet the residence of Little Plumstead is 50 miles away?

mik
    I suspect that the confusion has come about because of bad indexing.
    If you 'drill down' to where that christening record came from you end at film number 1471534 which has on it
    items 3-8 Parish registers for Little Plumstead, 1559-1902
    and
    items 9 -14 Parish registers for St. Margaret's Church, Lynn, 1559-1905

This is not the first time records have been assigned to the wrong parish/place of abode on FamilySearch, and they will not be the last to be found.
    And that's why the rule is always look at the original document. Indexes are all very well but they very rarely tell you the whole story (or give the full details.)

The parish registers for Lynn St Margaret are online at FamilySearch, and you want page 57 of the baptisms for 1777-1812.
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...301&cc=1416598

Don't worry about Earle being spelt with an 'e' on the end in that record, while other records don't have it. Spelling only became standardised in the late 1800s, and even in the 1911 census you see plenty of instances where children's names have been spelt incorrectly by their parents.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    The parish registers for Lynn St Margaret are online at FamilySearch, and you want page 57 of the baptisms for 1777-1812.
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...301&cc=1416598
    The Archdeacon's Transcripts for Lynn St Margaret are at FamilySearch on page/image 197 of the collection shown as 1755-1712 (I think it should be 1812) at
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...804&cc=1824688

Don't worry about Earle being spelt with an 'e' on the end in that record, while other records don't have it. Spelling only became standardised in the late 1800s, and even in the 1911 census you see plenty of instances where children's names have been spelt incorrectly by their parents.
    Totally agree with this - and in this case the Parish Register has EARLE and the Archdeacon's Transcript has EARL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast