Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Death Index 2007-2016

Peter Calver from Lost Cousins has helpfully pointed out that Findmypast last week added an index to UK deaths in this period which covers about 2.5 million deaths, which is about 50% of all deaths in that period.

He found his father's death in 2011 but with errors in the index.

My father who died in 2007 is not listed.

So the message is, it might help, but just because you don't find someone does not mean that they are not dead.

It's not the UK - Scotland is not included.
    I found my Mother (England, 2006), but when I searched for my late Partner (Scotland, 2000) I wasn't even offered a box to check to search for civil death registrations.

To be fair, on Mum's registration FMP does give the record set as "England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007" on the registration.
    There's no escape folks, for Scotland you have to go to Scotlands People (where the index is also free).

Brick wall demolition expert!

Actually according to FMP its "United Kingdom Deaths 2007-2016" and the description is:

"Discover your relatives who died in the United Kingdom between the years 2007 and 2016. Records cover England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, and Jersey. This collection is a work in progress. These records, provided by Wilmington Millennium, include over two and a half million entries with just under two million records pertaining to the years 2007 to 2013. The remainder of the records cover the years 2014 to 2016."

And according to the web site for Wilmington Millennium (who I had never heard of before) : "Wilmington Millennium offer deceased data cleansing, fraud prevention and insurance lead generation products created in conjunction with leading industry partners.

So make of that what you will!

So they’re saying one thing on the announcement, and another on the actual results? And SP still says that they’re the only source for Scotland...
    Naughty!
    Maybe they haven’t noticed what records they have. It wouldn’t be the first time.

I’ll have a look for my Uncles and Aunts when I have the pc on again... several of them died in the ‘90s, all in Scotland.

The FMP database does have some Scottish records.

Ancestry have had the 'Wilmington Millennium' for a while now, however, so far as I can tell theirs doesn't include Scotland and only has up to 2015. Useful though for those without access to FMP but have access to Ancestry.

Database title: England and Wales, Death Index, 2007-2015

And their description.
    This collection is a compiled index that covers approximately 55% of the total deaths that occurred in this time period.

This index provides death details for people in England and Wales, specifically their name, gender, date of birth or age at death, date of death, and residence place at death. However, they do not include the General Register Office (GRO) reference information.
    Alma

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    It's not the UK - Scotland is not included.
    I found my Mother (England, 2006), but when I searched for my late Partner (Scotland, 2000) I wasn't even offered a box to check to search for civil death registrations.

To be fair, on Mum's registration FMP does give the record set as "England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007" on the registration.
    There's no escape folks, for Scotland you have to go to Scotlands People (where the index is also free).
    Not so the Wilmington Millennium data set includes my brother who died in Scotland.They have transcribed him as Frank Richard High Etchells instead of Frank Richard Hugh Etchells.
    Both the Findmypast database and the Ancestry database have the same mistake which shows the error is on the Wilmington Millennium data set.
    I registered his death and read the register after the registrar had written his entry and can confirm his name is correct in the deaths register.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.