Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Yorkshire Hussars in WWI

Hi, my grandfather Arthur Wise (born 1887 in Ullerskelf, Yorkshire) was in the Yorkshire Hussars in WWI. I am aware of the history of the Yorkshire Hussars (split into 3 squadrons, reformed to become XVII Corps Cavalry, transferred to become the 9th Battalion (Yorkshire Hussars) West Yorks Regiment) but I wonder how I can find out which squadron he was in. 'A', 'B' or 'C'? I would be happy to hear from anyone who could throw some light on this. Thanks. Chris

I can only find one WW1 medal card for an Arthur Wise in the Hussars - the card says : Yorkshire Hussars (Alexandra, Princes of Wales' Own), Military Mounted Police Corps. He was a Cpl, numbers 3129 and then P.14046.
    He had the Victory and British medals, but not the Star, indicating that he reached the Front after the end of 1915.

Does this sound familiar?

His service records look to have been among the 60% destroyed during Ww2.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Thanks

Lesley, Many thanks for your reply. Yes that was my Grandfather. Yes, I guess his service record was lost in WW2 as the only other record I can find is in the Service, Medal and Award Rolls - saying the same thing but in a different format. I was, however, very interested that his not being awarded the Star indicated that he reached the front after the end of 1915. This contradicts family tradition (!) but fits with other data. Thanks for that. Kind regards. Chris

If he was in the army, but not at the Front (eg still in training or training others) he would not qualify for the Star.

I was wondering why he joined up relatively late (29) and whether he could have been in the army before, and then recalled. However, I see that he was a policeman in 1911, so it's not likely ....

It might be worth your looking through one of our old threads about reserved occupations HERE. I have an idea that policemen were held back in the early stages of the war, but they kept changing their lists as the casualties mounted.

Reputation beyond repute

The Yorkshire Hussars were a Yeomanry regiment (Territorials) so he may have been both a copper and a territorial in 1911 (say).

We don't know when he was transferred to the Military Mounted Police and we don't know what duties he may have been involved in before entering a theatre of war (which may have been 21 Sep 1916 a date shown on the medal roll but without an obvious definition of its significance).

Reputation beyond repute

how I can find out which squadron he was in. 'A', 'B' or 'C'?
    I forgot to add that if he was living in York then surely he would have been in the squadron that was based in York (B Squadron). But I don't know how relevant that may be to whatever active service he saw.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Peter and Lesley. I appreciate your help.

He was in the police (mounted section) from 1908 to 1938 (his war service does not seem to have affected his 30 year service - except that a lot of servicemen returning to the police after the war found their juniors who stayed had leapfrogged them. A bone of contention between them).

According to his son he joined the Yorks Hussars in April 1915 in York and went to France in July 1915 and straight onto Cavalry Patrols. This may explain him not being at 'The Front'.

The 21 Sept 1916 date did (does) confuse me. But this may be the date he was formally at the front. I agree he was probably in 'B' Squadron which recruited in York but then in May 1916 all three squadrons rejoined to form XVII Corps Cavalry. They stayed there until August 1917 when they (all three squadrons) were dismounted and sent for infantry training. They then became the 9th battalion of the West Yorks regiment. I have the War Diaries of all the relevant formations but cannot see him personally nor the relevance of 21st Sept date.

According to my researches he joined the Military Mounted Police in January 1918 (don't know why - except maybe because of his previous experience) and stayed with them until demobbed from Cologne in 1920.

I guess that without the service record (destroyed in WWII as Lesley pointed out) I will have to assume he was in 'B' Squadron until they all joined up as the 17th Corps Cavalry.

Thanks again
    Chris

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

p.s. I will try Lesley's suggestion of reserved occupations to see the position vis a vis the police. Ta