Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Starting to feel at home

Hi again. Not sure if this is the best place for this post but hopefully someone knowlegeable will see it. I am still trying to track own Frederick James Stratford's war history and wondered if anyone coul help. I believe he was in the territorial army (no. 1160) and then moved into the Oxford and Bucks LI (no. 265067). I know he was injured and discharged in Oct 1917.

What I am trying to find out is what regiment he was with in Ox&Bu LI. Is that possible? I was always told he was injured at Passchendaele but that might not be true. Is there any way to trace which battalion his number went into? Was there any rhyme or reason to where they went? He was from High Wycombe if that helps.

I have looked at the Ox & Bu LI page but I can't see how to work out which battalion he would have been in (other than a random guess which I have kindly been advised not to do!)

Many thanks for any advice or information anyone can offer.

Hello again
    I have been rereading this thread and latched on to this post

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    In 1911 did he join the regular army or the territorial army? A lot of young men were in the territorials before WW1; in other words they were part time soldiers. I think you can tell by their service number, but I am sure that someone who knows far more than me about that subject can advice you.
    by pipsqueek
    Christanel kindly gave me this information:

Frederick J Stratford
    Regiment Buckinghamshire Yeomanry (Royal Bucks Hussars), Regimental Number 1160,
    Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, Regimental Number 265067
    He entered France on 13 March 1915.
    He was awarded the Victory, British and 15 Star medals
    He was discharged on the 14 October 1917.
    He was awarded the Silver war badge and the record shows he enlisted 10 Feb 1911 age 18 years 9 months - so before WW1 - and was discharged because of his wounds.
    by pipsqueek
    I hadn't thought too much about the two regiment numbers but looking at Royal Bucks Hussars, they do seen to have been a TA if I am reading it correctly. I know he won his medals during WWI under regimental number 1160 with the Ox and Bucks Light Infantry so now I am more confused than ever. Is there a chance the numbers above are transposed?
    This is an explanation of service number allocation for the TA and when the changes came in to place to try and rectify the confusion caused by having the same service numbers for servicemen in different units. Mind you I got confused reading the explanation and if someone has already given this link I apologise.
    Link here
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Christina... I will digest that the information on that link tomorrow. I guess I am just trying to work out the relationship between battalions and brigades and whatever! I have found links to 2/4th battalion(?) joing up with Somerset but don't really understand how it all worked. Sounds silly, but I just wanted to place my Unce Fred with a particular battlefield so that I can visit it as an educational trip for my son.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Best place to look for which battalion is Ancestry that has the Medal Index Cards and Medal rolls.
    His says - 1/1st Bucks Batt. 1160 Pte
    Read here - https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/...ight-infantry/
    and - https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldi...antry-in-1917/

None of his records indicate he went to another battalion, the SWB roll says - Discharge Unit:
    Bucks. Bn. Oxf. & Bucks. L.I.
    I am guessing but I think he stayed with the same battalion.

regards
    Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you simmo1. I have used LLT and it shows that on 15 May 1915 his formation became the 145th Brigade in 48th (South Midland) Division. So confused :-( I have just seen reference to a book by Chris McCarthy about Passchendaele - I don't suppose anyone has a copy to refer to?

My reason for wanting to know is that I want to take an "educational" break to one of the battlefields but I think my DS would find it more interesting if he saw the actual place that my uncle fought (as well as settling my mind as to where he was injured - was it family folklore or true so to speak?!).

Thank you again for the wonderful help.

Starting to feel at home

I have just found more details on Wikipedia about the 145th - it does say they were at Passchendaele so I will look into those battles more thoroughly. Though if anyone has access to the book I mentioned I should be grateful of any further details. Many thanks.

One other question. Does anyone know if the discharge date is the actual date of injury or if it is some time later?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456