Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

In 1911 did he join the regular army or the territorial army? A lot of young men were in the territorials before WW1; in other words they were part time soldiers. I think you can tell by their service number, but I am sure that someone who knows far more than me about that subject can advice you.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    In 1911 did he join the regular army or the territorial army? A lot of young men were in the territorials before WW1; in other words they were part time soldiers. I think you can tell by their service number, but I am sure that someone who knows far more than me about that subject can advice you.
    Christanel kindly gave me this information:

Frederick J Stratford
    Regiment Buckinghamshire Yeomanry (Royal Bucks Hussars), Regimental Number 1160,
    Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, Regimental Number 265067
    He entered France on 13 March 1915.
    He was awarded the Victory, British and 15 Star medals
    He was discharged on the 14 October 1917.
    He was awarded the Silver war badge and the record shows he enlisted 10 Feb 1911 age 18 years 9 months - so before WW1 - and was discharged because of his wounds.

I hadn't thought too much about the two regiment numbers but looking at Royal Bucks Hussars, they do seen to have been a TA if I am reading it correctly. I know he won his medals during WWI under regimental number 1160 with the Ox and Bucks Light Infantry so now I am more confused than ever. Is there a chance the numbers above are transposed?

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Bucks Yeomanry was part time, standby militia, so to speak. Ox.& Bucks L.I. were the 'real deal'.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I have found a Frederick Stratford in 1911 RG14 Piece 7909 Schedule 81 He is on a page by himself with the word 'nit'? next to his name and birth place as Radnage Bucks, address Radnage Nr Stokenchurch, Wallingford . The transcription on ancestry lists him with the Stephens family but they are on a previous page.
    Christina
    You might be interested to know, Christanel, that I have just found a framed "In Loving Memory" card with the name George Stevens "Who fell asleep in Jesus, October 15th, 1886 Aged 31 years", so there is a Stevens link :-)

1911 census which has a Frederick Stradford transcribed on a separate page to the Stevens couple
    George Stevens 25 wheelwright born radnage
    Florrie Stevens 25 Radnage (trabscribed as Florrie but is Flossie on the original image. Married 4 years , no children to the marriage.

Marriage
    George Stevens to Flossie Holland March 1/4 1907 Wycombe vol 3a page 1157

https://www.gravestonephotos.com/pub...p?grave=259080
    George Stevens
    Birth Year - 1885
    Burial Year - 1947
    Buried Radnage, Buckinghamshire, England
    Death Age - 62
    Cemetery - St Mary the Virgin
    Relationship - husband of Flossie Stevens

Flossie Stevens
    died 1938 age 54 born c1884 first name on monument

They had a son Frank O Stevens born 1913 who is with George, in the 1939 register helping his father on their dairy farm at Ashtree Dair
    On the same page of the 1939 register
    Walter Stratford born 16 Oct 1872 a chair turner,
    Annie Stratford born 23 March 1875 sub post mistress
    Connie G Stratford born 11 August 1908 assistant post mistress

Walter John Stratford married Annie Newell June 1/4 1898 Wycombe vol 3a page 1291

And another Stevens family
    William A Stevens born 5 May 1908 wood and metal storekeeper
    Daisy A Stevens wife born 25 September 1908
    then 4 closed records
    followed by Arthur E Bird a french polisher
    then
    Harriet Stevens born 21 Feb 1883. Married
    William Stevens 1873 pensioner married
    Lizzie M Stevens 1879

I will retire now having thoroughly confused myself.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

So much information! Not sure where it all ties in, but thank you for the Stevens link or I would have overlooked the plaque I found :-) The Windows app I downloaded to make a family tree isn't helping too much at the moment but I will get there. And to think this all started with an innocent fretwork frame! (which I am still intrigued by). There are lots of old postcard photos with no names on them so I wonder if there is a way to identify some of them. I also found today that my Dad has a copy of the 1881 census but no idea how to access it yet. Thank you (and everyone) for the help you are giving me.

This George Stevens 1885, Radnage.......Father, Albert Stevens, c1850. Loosley Row,(nr.Princes Risborough).

Albert Stevens.......Father, William Stevens c1817, Princes Risborough.

William Stevens......Father, Thomas c1786, Princes Risborough, Bucks

Steve.

Starting to feel at home

That is so close to me it is spooky lol. I seem to have returned to my adopted roots. Thank you x Was George a chicken farmer?

George was a dairy farmer.
    The 1881 census is free on familysearch.org and there are transcriptions of some other censuses on there.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

George is a Wheelright.....his father Albert was a Farmer in 1901, but a Chair Turner in earlier census.

They are in my tree, but I haven't looked for some years now......so it's almost new to me.

Steve.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast