Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Frederick James Stratford 1890 - 1977

Hello

I was investigating an unusual picture frame but that has led me on to finding out the background of my uncle, with which I hope someone can help me!

Background: My Dad (born in 1935) was evacuated from London during WWII to a couple in High Wycombe. For reasons unknown to us he never returned to his birth family so Uncle Fred basically became my Grandfather.

I have been able to find the following:

Frederick James Stratford was born 7 April 1890 and died 11 Jan 1977 and married Oct-Dec 1920.
    His wife, Alice Hudson, was born in early 1895 and died July 1956.
    They had a son, Alfred Archibald Stratford born Jun 1921 and died 1937 in Amersham - he was epileptic and I think this was some kind of commune they were sent to??

I have letters from a mental institution in Stone saying that Alfred Hudson died in 1925 age 62 so I am assuming that he is the father of Alice.

Basically, I would love if someone could help me round out this story and help with any other family members. My Uncle Fred fought in WW1 and lost a foot (later half his leg to gangrene) at Passchendaele (he was with the Oxford and Bucks Infantry Light Infantry 1160. I have his honourable discharge certificate dated lete 1917 and I have also found an engraved watch from Gommes long time service from 1918.

I had found the unmarked grave of Uncle Fred and have since discovered that his wife and son are also there.

I am hoping someone can help and if you need my ramblings clarified, then please ask.

Thank you :-)
    Last edited by Pipsqueek; 19-05-2018 at 8:06 PM. Reason: Additional information

Hi
    There is no birth registration for Frederick James Stratford in 1890 so it looks a if he lost a year somewhere along the line. You got his birth date from his death notice?
    Frederick James Stratford
    Birth registration June 1/4 1891
    Registration district: Wycombe Buckinghamshire
    Vol 3a Page 756

This birth registration is on FreeBMD but didn't show up for me on the GRO index until I used the vol and page number from FreeBMd and used the phonetically similar variations option even though the spellig of the names is correct. The mother's maiden name is Johnson.
    There is a marriage of a Hannah Johnson to a Henry Stratford in Wycombe September 1/4 1887 vol 3a page 868
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I have found a Frederick Stratford in 1911 RG14 Piece 7909 Schedule 81 He is on a page by himself with the word 'nit'? next to his name and birth place as Radnage Bucks, address Radnage Nr Stokenchurch, Wallingford . The transcription on ancestry lists him with the Stephens family but they are on a previous page.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Great Marlow
    Henry Stratford 38 General labourer Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire,
    Hannah Stratford 31 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire,
    Fred Stratford 10 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire,
    Elizabeth Stratford 7 Turvil, Buckinghamshire
    Archie Stratford 3 Marlow, Buckinghamshire
    Stanley Stratford 3 months Marlow, Buckinghamshire

Wycombe spans the boundaries of Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Moor Common, Lane End
    RG14 Piece 7891 schedule number 149
    Harry Stratford 48 Farm Labourer Stokenchurch
    Anne Stratford 42 married 24 years. 7 children to the marriage 7 children still living. Stokenchurch
    Stanley John Stratford 11 Lane End
    Reginald Victor Stratford 7 Lane End
    Kenneth Stratford 1 Moor Common.

1939 register
    Henry, Farm Labourer, Retired and Hannah Stratford
    Ditchfield, Lane End Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
    No others in the household.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

TBH I have no idea where I found the information from as it was a while ago but I am sure it was an online search but then again why would I knowan exact date when I only used free sites? I don't have a death notice only his burial plot details now.

Thank you so much for his parents names (possbly); do you think he had any siblings?

It is silly but it is only now that I realise how important he was in my life and now I want to know more about his life and his family. I feel so sad that he was not allowed to be my granddad in name.

Back to the 1891 census
    Village Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire,
    Harry Stratford 29 Tin..? caster
    Hannah Stratford 22
    Harry Stratford 3
    All born Stokenchurch

I went looking for Harry jnr and in 1901 there is this one
    RG13 Piece 1346 Folio 13 Page 17
    Robt Cross 26 chair, cabinet maker Freeth, Buckinghamshire
    Laura Cross 25 Stokenchurch, Buckinghamshire
    Herbert Smith 26 boarder
    Wm Birdsey 27 boarder
    Henry Stratford 14 brother-in-law Stokenchurch, Buckinghamshire

Henry and Hannah's children didn't stay with their parents for very long did they?
    There is a marriage for a Robert Cross to a Jane Johnson in Sept 1/4 1897 Wycombe vol 3a page 1267
    Johnson is Hannah's maiden name.

I have done a quick search of the GRO index and there is a birth for a jane Johnson mmn Ginger but I can't find a birth for a Hannah Johnson mmn Ginger.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for so much for the information! I am in overload now! I will look through your research and see if any makes sense. All I really know is that they were in Wycombe in 1937 and most likely for years before that, but that is me summising tbh.

Actually I have a lovely letter in reply to a letter that Alice Hudson put into a box of bombs for the troops in 1918; she got a reply from Sgt J F Palmer, 2nd Royal West Kent Regt in Mesopotamia (I hope that helps someone else). Alice Hudson lived in Jesel Road, West Ealing in 1918.

This 1911 census looks more like your Frederick? it also gives Laura the second name of Jane so matches with the marriage info.
    26 Kitchener Rd, High Wycombe
    Robert Cross 36 Chair Maker Freeth, Buckinghamshire
    Laura Jane Cross 35 Stokenchurch married 13 years, 2 children born to marriage 2 still living.
    Harrold Clifford Cross 6 High Wycombe
    Constance Clarice Cross 1 high wycombe
    Walter Johnson 26 brother-in-law bricklayers labourer Stokenchurch
    Henry Stratford 23 Nephew single chairmaker Stokenchurch
    Frederick Stratford 19 Nephew single, chairmaker Stokenchurch
    William Burroughs

There is a service recrd for a Frederick James Stratford but he is not yours as he is the one born 1888. 60% plus of WW1 service records were destroyed by bombing fire in WW11 so it is a very lucky person if the one you want has survived. Medal roll Index cards and Award and medal records did survive but they don't have personal information. This one looks lie it could be your Frederick because of the regiment.
    Frederick J Stratford
    Regiment Buckinghamshire Yeomanry (Royal Bucks Hussars), Regimental Number 1160,
    Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, Regimental Number 265067
    He entered France on 13 March 1915.
    He was awarded the Victory, British and 15 Star medals
    He was discharged on the 14 October 1917.
    He was awarded the Silver war badge and the record shows he enlisted 10 Feb 1911 age 18 years 9 months - so before WW1 - and was discharged because of his wounds.

ancestry and FMP have free library versions of the pay per view sites so your local library may have one of them.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast