Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Great Marlow
    Henry Stratford 38 General labourer Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire,
    Hannah Stratford 31 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire,
    Fred Stratford 10 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire,
    Elizabeth Stratford 7 Turvil, Buckinghamshire
    Archie Stratford 3 Marlow, Buckinghamshire
    Stanley Stratford 3 months Marlow, Buckinghamshire

Wycombe spans the boundaries of Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire.

Christina
    Where you have put the town names, is this where they were born or where they were residing at the time? I am getting very confused now!

Thank you

Brick wall demolition expert!

The places are places born.

If you don't have a subscription to Ancestry or Findmypast to search their census records there are various free resources available such as:

Freecen
    Family Search
    Or a trip to your local library as they usually have free access to Ancestry and Findmypast.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for your help and I will try those sites, though I feel I am going round in circles. One further question if you don't mind...
    There is a George Stevens born in 1885; I have a George Stevens who died in 1886 age 31. Would it be a good assumption to think that the George born in 1885 is the son of the George that died in 1886 and that this George was the brother of Alice Stevens?

ETA: Based on my observations that first borns seem to be named after their parents
    Last edited by Pipsqueek; 23-05-2018 at 7:53 PM. Reason: additional text

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueek View Post
    There is a George Stevens born in 1885; I have a George Stevens who died in 1886 age 31. Would it be a good assumption to think that the George born in 1885 is the son of the George that died in 1886 and that this George was the brother of Alice Stevens?

ETA: Based on my observations that first borns seem to be named after their parents
    Without knowing which location its impossible to guess, particular as George Stevens is probably a very common name.

When you find a census site that you like I suggest that you (a) search the 1891 census for the George born in 1885 and see if he is living with his mother, and whether or not she is listed as a widow, and (b) search the 1891 census and the 1901 census for any George that could be Alice's brother - its not uncommon to misplace someone in one census and find them in another.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for your advice. I
    Last edited by Pipsqueek; 23-05-2018 at 9:16 PM. Reason: additional text

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Instead of trying to link George Stevens to Alice Stevens, would it be better to trace George Stevens(c1856, Wycombe).

As far as I can tell, George Stevens was the son of Jessie & Ann Stevens. In Ealing during the 1871 and 1881 census. He married Ambrosia Kate Percy in 1878. Ealing.

He dies and was buried in Ealing. 23 Nov 1886, aged 31.

1861 census, they are in Crowell, Oxfordshire.

Father - Jessie Stevens c.1829, Cihnnor, Oxfordshire.
    Mother - Ann Stevens c,1829. High Wycombe. (Little Marlow in 1871).

Alice Stevens is not part of this immedaite family.

You may have already done all this. I've not completely gone through all the postings.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Starting to feel at home

Now I am realy confused lol. I KNOW that the George Stevens who died age 31 in 1886 is part of my (evacuee) family but now I have no idea how he fits in! Thank you though as any infornation is weldome :-D

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Sorry, he did have children.....forgot to mention those. Will look tomorrow. Don't panic......YET.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Starting to feel at home

Not panicking yet! Though I suspect my impatient nature is going to cause me many problems as I want to know everything yesterday :-D I will take a deep breath and focus on the facts I have to hand, try all the suggested links and not go on wild goose chases. Many thanks again for your help, Stepives.

Starting to feel at home

I have found a diary of Alice Hudson with a few names in it together with a postcard which might help ... The postcard is from Will and Nell and I think they are her brother and his wife (Eleanor L Clark?). My sister remembers an Aunt Nell she visited.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast