Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueek View Post
    Well, I have just mapped the information out and I kind of follow, but I am still confused where the Cross family come in and where it says nephew and brother-in-law so if anyone can help me understand that I would be very grateful. Many thanks in advance.

Fred Stratford’s mother was Hannah, and her maiden name was Johnson. You can find her in the 1881 census as follows:

1881 census
    First name(s) Last name Relation-ship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Birth place Occupation
    John Johnson Head Married Male 45 1836 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire, England Chair Turner
    Sarah Johnson Wife Married Female 48 1833 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire, England Lace Maker
    John Johnson Son Single Male 24 1857 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire, England Labourer
    George Johnson Son Single Male 21 1860 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire, England Chair Maker
    Charles Johnson Son Single Male 18 1863 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire, England Labourer
    Joseph Johnson Son Single Male 16 1865 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire, England Chair Turner
    Henry Johnson Son Single Male 13 1868 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire, England Scholar
    Hannah Johnson Daughter Single Female 11 1870 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire, England Scholar
    Annie Johnson Daughter Single Female 8 1873 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire, England Scholar
    Jane Johnson Daughter Single Female 6 1875 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire, England Scholar
    Kate Johnson Daughter Single Female 4 1877 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire, England Scholar
    Walter Johnson Son Single Male 0 1881 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire, England -
    Piece 14868 folio 84 page 19
    This isn’t the complete list of children, because Walter appears with a Daniel born in 1872 in the 1891 Census

One of her sisters was JANE. Christina's post #9 shows that Robert Cross's wife was Laura Jane Cross, and her post #7 shows that Robert and Jane married in 1897. In other words Laura Jane and Jane are one and the same.

So when the Stratford boys are described as nephews they are the nephews of Laura Jane, and Walter Johnson is Laura's brother, and therefore the uncle of the Stratford boys.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Stone Institution records still exist, and are held at the Buckinghamshire Archives in Aylesbury, Bucks.

https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/...shire-studies/

To clarify Stokenchurch's position, it lay in the Poor Law Union of Wycombe, but lay in the Hundred of Lewknor.(Oxon).
    It was a Chaplery of Aston Rowant until 1844, and remained in the Arcdeaconry of Oxford, util 1973, although transferred to Buckinghamshire in 1896 for civil purposes. The ecclesastical parish of Cadmore End, was partly formed out of Stokenchurch in 1852.
    Before 1707, Stokenchurch entries can be found in the PR's of Aston Rowant(Oxon).

I have Stratfords in my tree, emanating from Chinnor(Oxon), that being, Edward Stratford, 1781, Chinnor, Oxon. He married Elizabeth Lee, 1786(of Saunderton) in 1806 @ Saunderton.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you so much for the explanation and extra information. I am just trying to draw up a family tree so that I can stop asking silly questions. I really appreciate the help you have all given me.

No such thing as silly questions. If you need answers, all questions are valid.

Starting to feel at home

Sorry, do you mean Alice's mum's maiden name was Stevens?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueek View Post
    Sorry, do you mean Alice's mum's maiden name was Stevens?
    It would appear so yes. BUT everything I have told you is based on educated guesswork using censuses and the GRO birth index. The only way to verify my guesswork would be for you to buy the relevant birth certificates. If you buy them direct from the GRO you can get PDF versions for £6.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you - I trust your educated guesswork (which seems spot on) but I read it that my Aunt Alice's maiden name was Stevens which is why I wanted to clarify that it was the next generation; I panicked that the Hudson's had disappeared :-) I am now trying to make a family tree so I can incorporate all the information you wonderful people have given me and then make sense of it in my own head!

I come from a small family (no contact with my Dad's birth family) so it is amazing to think that I missed out on a possibly huge family via Alice and Fred.
    Last edited by Pipsqueek; 20-05-2018 at 4:00 PM. Reason: additional text

thewideeyedowl

Default Chair-making in the Chilterns

Hello, again...

I think the info unearthed in the census records re-enforces the likelihood that Uncle was from a family of carpenters/wood-workers etc. His background is exactly right for the history you are seeking about the fret-work frame: https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...identification.

In case you did not know about the long tradition of woodworking in the Chilterns, then take a look at this page from the Amersham Museum: https://amershammuseum.org/history/r...the-chilterns/. Perhaps the family made Windsor chairs?

Now double back to the first thread about the fret-work frame: perhaps Uncle made it himself, possibly after losing his foot (and then his leg) but then thought better of it and stowed it away in a drawer? And now you have found it. Or perhaps another family member made it? Whatever...I think you might be near to solving the mystery of the frame.

Swooping off.

Owl

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by thewideeyedowl View Post
    Hello, again...

I think the info unearthed in the census records re-enforces the likelihood that Uncle was from a family of carpenters/wood-workers etc. His background is exactly right for the history you are seeking about the fret-work frame: https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...identification.

In case you did not know about the long tradition of woodworking in the Chilterns, then take a look at this page from the Amersham Museum: https://amershammuseum.org/history/r...the-chilterns/. Perhaps the family made Windsor chairs?

Now double back to the first thread about the fret-work frame: perhaps Uncle made it himself, possibly after losing his foot (and then his leg) but then thought better of it and stowed it away in a drawer? And now you have found it. Or perhaps another family member made it? Whatever...I think you might be near to solving the mystery of the frame.

Swooping off.

Owl
    Thank you once again, Owl. I was brought up in the area so I know the links to the furniture industry; my Dad worked at most of the local furniture factories during his life.

That is an interesting idea that he made it himself while he was recuperating.

One thing that is puzzling me with all the information I have received, and I hope someone can help me understand... in the 1911 census he was living in High Wycombe with his Uncle and is listed as a 19 year old chairmaker (so he probably did make Windsor chairs!) but his service record shows that he enlisted into the army in 1911 when he was 18yrs and 9mths. I know dates/ages can be inaccurate in these records, but does that imply that he started as a chairmaker and decided it wasn't for him/decided to serve his country so he left? I have a long-service watch of his that shows he started working for E Gomme in 1918 so he must have gone back to the furniture industry (not much else around here in those days really). If anyone has a theory I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks.

It's not that unusual for a person to be registered in 2 places at the same time, or once in his case.
    It's the householders, or head of house that fills in the form. So it's nothing to be that concerned about.

Steve.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast