Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

OMG - that is my Uncle Fred - his discharge certificate says 14th October 1917. Thank you so much for telling me this as I couldn't find out when he went to war. I can google but what are the medals you mention? Are they the standard three?

From Wikipedia
    The 1914–15 Star is a campaign medal of the British Empire which was awarded to officers and men of British and Imperial forces who served in any theatre of the First World War against the Central European Powers during 1914 and 1915. The medal was never awarded singly and recipients were also awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal
    The British War Medal is a campaign medal of the United Kingdom which was awarded to officers and men of British and Imperial forces for service in the First World War. Two versions of the medal were produced. About 6.5 million were struck in silver and 110,000 were struck in bronze, the latter for award to Chinese, Maltese and Indian Labour Corps.
    The Victory Medal was issued to all those who received the 1914 Star or the 1914–15 Star, and to most of those who were awarded the British War Medal - it was not awarded singly. These three medals were sometimes irreverently referred to as Pip, Squeak and Wilfred.
    The Silver War Badge was issued in the United Kingdom and the British Empire to service personnel who had been honourably discharged due to wounds or sickness from military service in World War I.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Many thanks. I do have his Pip, Squeak and Wilfred (pure coincidence that my user name matches the medals!), but I haven't come across his Silver War Badge so that may be lost forever.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I have found a Frederick Stratford in 1911 RG14 Piece 7909 Schedule 81 He is on a page by himself with the word 'nit'? next to his name and birth place as Radnage Bucks, address Radnage Nr Stokenchurch, Wallingford . The transcription on ancestry lists him with the Stephens family but they are on a previous page.
    Christina
    Thanks Christina. Is it unusual to be on a page all alone and do we know what "nit" means?

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Great Marlow
    Henry Stratford 38 General labourer Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire,
    Hannah Stratford 31 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire,
    Fred Stratford 10 Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire,
    Elizabeth Stratford 7 Turvil, Buckinghamshire
    Archie Stratford 3 Marlow, Buckinghamshire
    Stanley Stratford 3 months Marlow, Buckinghamshire

Wycombe spans the boundaries of Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire.

Christina
    Another probably silly question: Are these names of all the Stratfords you found in 1901 or does this imply that Fred had siblings not living with him and his parents?

Starting to feel at home

Thank you again Christina. I am really trying to get my head around all the lovely facts you have uncovered for me. I am new to this game so please excuse my ignorance - are you saying that Harry and Henry are the same person (the dates look right for that to be the case)? And is there a reliable way to organise this data (so I can follow it!)?

Brick wall demolition expert!

The Western Front Association have the pension files for men who were entitled to war pensions from WW1 – basically the MOD were going to destroy them and they rescued them. However, whilst they used to undertake manual searches for people, this has become too onerous for them, and they have now done a deal with Ancestry who are in the process of scanning them. https://www.westernfrontassociation.c...s-is-underway/

Based on Ancestry other policies, it probably means that they will end up in their Fold 3 collection. However, it is potentially a good source of information about your uncle Fred.

Starting to feel at home

Well, I have just mapped the information out and I kind of follow, but I am still confused where the Cross family come in and where it says nephew and brother-in-law so if anyone can help me understand that I would be very grateful. Many thanks in advance.

Brick wall demolition expert!

You mentioned Fred’s wife Alice and her family in your first post. Based on location, and her father’s age, I am pretty certain that this is them in the 1911 Census:
    6 Bloomfontien Villas, Wycombe Marsh, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

First name(s) Last name Relation-ship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Birth place Occupation
    Alfred Hudson Head Married Male 48 1863 Hants Laverstock Labourer
    Alice Hudson Wife Married Female 50 1861 Bucks High Wycombe -
    Emma Hudson Daughter Single Female 26 1885 Bucks High Wycombe Overlooker
    Alfred Hudson Son Single Male 24 1887 Bucks High Wycombe Labourer
    George Hudson Son Single Male 18 1893 Bucks High Wycombe French Polisher
    Alice Hudson Daughter Single Female 16 1895 Bucks High Wycombe Millhand Striper
    Lily Hudson Daughter - Female 13 1898 Bucks High Wycombe School
    William Hudson Son - Male 11 1900 Bucks High Wycombe School
    James Stevens Grandfather Widower Male 83 1828 Bucks High Wycombe Old Age Pensioner
    They had had a total of 7 children and had been married for 26 years.

Alice Beatrice Hudson’s birth was registered in the March quarter of 1895 in Wycombe Volume 03A Page 748, maiden name Stevens.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you so much for this. Yes, I believe that is my Aunt Alice's family as I I believe she was born in 1895, Wycombe Marsh is where my dad was evacuated to, and Alfred Hudson is the one that died in the mental hospital in Stone in 1925. Now I have a lot more information to digest!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast