Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Daniel Henderson Grose of Carrick on Shannon

Trying to determine the parentage of Daniel Henderson Grose who was born in Carrick on Shannon, Ireland in 1793. My thought is that he must be the son of Daniel Charles Grose, the artist and nephew of Francis Grose the antiquarian. Daniel Charles Grose seems to have settled in Carrick on Shannon around 1791 when his uncle died and he took over the artwork of the Antiquaries of Ireland book. Daniel Henderson Grose left Ireland for the military in 1811, served in the West Indies. He finished his commission and took up acting. He acted, wrote, and managed theatres mostly throughout the north of England from 1817 until the mid 1840s.

My guess on the parentage is circumstantial at the moment. Daniel Charles Grose arrived in Carrick on Shannon just prior to the birth of Daniel Henderson Grose. I've not found reference of any other Groses in the area prior to that. Daniel Henderson Grose named his youngest son, Daniel Charles Grose. Daniel Charles Grose (the elder) was a painter and writer. Daniel Henderson Grose was a writer and actor and I have seen evidence that he painted the set decorations as well. Daniel Charles Grose (the younger) became a prolific painter in America and Canada.

However, evidence of the link eludes me. I know Daniel Charles Grose raised a family in Carrick on Shannon, but I don't know his wife's name. I have seen a newspaper article regarding the death of one of DCG's sons, who was described in the article as being the first born. He was born in 1801. But the newspaper may have been inaccurate, of course, or perhaps this was the eldest child of a second marriage?

Default Bourns Grose Henderson

Are you still looking for information on the Grose family? My research is support by everything you have said below. The Bourns Grose Henderson families were will established in Carrick on Shannon by 1800. My great grandfather was Arthur Henderson Bourns. His parents were Robert Wilson Bourns and Frances Margaret Grouse. The former had a brother Arthur Henderson Bourns and the latter had brothers Arthur Henderson Grose and Daniel Henderson Grose. We know that Robert Wilson Bourns mother was Elizabeth Henderson. Francis Margaret Grose's father was Daniel Charles Grose b1767. Because of the names I am speculating that Francis Margaret's mother was the sister of Elizabeth Henderson. That would make Robert Wilson Bourns and Francis Margaret Grose first cousin. Not unusual in the early 1800's among the wealthy. Keep the money in the family. After all Queen Victoria married her first cousin Prince Albert.So who is everyone named after? Who is Arthur Henderson? I have two excellent sources that Reverend Arthur Henderson and his wife Susanne were living in Carrick on Shannon around 1800. Still have more if interested and have two items of research that could answer these questions. Parents of Daniel Charles Grose b1767 were Daniel Grose b1734 and Elizabeth Wills.He was the brother of Francis Grose artist and lexographher. They were sons of Francis Jacob Grose jeweller and designer of crown of George II and worn by George III

Quote Originally Posted by warrwykk View Post
    Trying to determine the parentage of Daniel Henderson Grose who was born in Carrick on Shannon, Ireland in 1793. My thought is that he must be the son of Daniel Charles Grose, the artist and nephew of Francis Grose the antiquarian. Daniel Charles Grose seems to have settled in Carrick on Shannon around 1791 when his uncle died and he took over the artwork of the Antiquaries of Ireland book. Daniel Henderson Grose left Ireland for the military in 1811, served in the West Indies. He finished his commission and took up acting. He acted, wrote, and managed theatres mostly throughout the north of England from 1817 until the mid 1840s.

My guess on the parentage is circumstantial at the moment. Daniel Charles Grose arrived in Carrick on Shannon just prior to the birth of Daniel Henderson Grose. I've not found reference of any other Groses in the area prior to that. Daniel Henderson Grose named his youngest son, Daniel Charles Grose. Daniel Charles Grose (the elder) was a painter and writer. Daniel Henderson Grose was a writer and actor and I have seen evidence that he painted the set decorations as well. Daniel Charles Grose (the younger) became a prolific painter in America and Canada.

However, evidence of the link eludes me. I know Daniel Charles Grose raised a family in Carrick on Shannon, but I don't know his wife's name. I have seen a newspaper article regarding the death of one of DCG's sons, who was described in the article as being the first born. He was born in 1801. But the newspaper may have been inaccurate, of course, or perhaps this was the eldest child of a second marriage?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Daniel Henderson Grose

It's great to see your response. I have long been wanting to connect with any descendants from another of Daniel Charles Grose's lines. I'll drop you a PM as well, but it's worth a moment for me to update the thread. In the years since I posted this, I have been able to confirm that Daniel Charles Grose is absolutely the father of Daniel Henderson Grose (multiple sources of confirmation now). I still don't know the given name of Daniel Charles Grose's mother, but she was definitely the daughter of Reverend Arthur Henderson and Susanna. Arthur died in 1797 and Susanna in 1808. I found a newspaper article regarding Susanna that she was widow of Rev. Arthur Henderson and that she died on Bere Island (where DC Grose was serving as engineer) whilst vising her son-in-law, Lt. Grose.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bourns View Post
    Are you still looking for information on the Grose family? My research is support by everything you have said below. The Bourns Grose Henderson families were will established in Carrick on Shannon by 1800. My great grandfather was Arthur Henderson Bourns. His parents were Robert Wilson Bourns and Frances Margaret Grouse. The former had a brother Arthur Henderson Bourns and the latter had brothers Arthur Henderson Grose and Daniel Henderson Grose. We know that Robert Wilson Bourns mother was Elizabeth Henderson. Francis Margaret Grose's father was Daniel Charles Grose b1767. Because of the names I am speculating that Francis Margaret's mother was the sister of Elizabeth Henderson. That would make Robert Wilson Bourns and Francis Margaret Grose first cousin. Not unusual in the early 1800's among the wealthy. Keep the money in the family. After all Queen Victoria married her first cousin Prince Albert.So who is everyone named after? Who is Arthur Henderson? I have two excellent sources that Reverend Arthur Henderson and his wife Susanne were living in Carrick on Shannon around 1800. Still have more if interested and have two items of research that could answer these questions. Parents of Daniel Charles Grose b1767 were Daniel Grose b1734 and Elizabeth Wills.He was the brother of Francis Grose artist and lexographher. They were sons of Francis Jacob Grose jeweller and designer of crown of George II and worn by George III