Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Looking for George Mountford 5th Dragoon Gds

Dear All,

thank you for taking me up in this community.

I really hope you can help me.

I am German and living in the UK now since 2010.

For more than 10yrs I am looking now for further information regarding my grandfather. My mothers father to be exact.

I found out the following information so far thanks to some wonderful people working in the Chester and York Military Museum.

I have even got his service number but not getting anywhere with it. The MOD blocks my requests as after all my grandma and George were not married.

Here is what I know:

His cap badge confirms him as a member of the V (5th) Dragoon Guards, rank of Corporal as you know, the cloth badge on his shoulder shows red rat (Desert Rat or Jerboa as it was known) on a black back ground. This is the badge of the 7th Armoured Division which fought in North Africa and later in the Northwest Europe Campaign, I will let the team in York elaborate on this. Your grandfathers medal ribbons on his uniform look to be the 1939-45 Star, the Africa Star, the France & Germany Star and the War Medal.

He has been promoted in January 1947 to Sgt and left the Army in July 1947. My mum was born in September.

He was stationed in or around Münster Germany (BFPO17) in 1945/1946.

An old member of the Dragoon Guards remembers him but has not seen him since 1947.

I got a few pictures including 1 where it shows him with possibly twins/brothers. The contact at the York Museum told me that there were known brothers who were promoted the same time to L/Cpl and Cpl and one of them even made it to WO2.

The reason why I would like to find him or family is that I have now not got any living relatives left and I would be very keen in possibly finding some living ones.

Please help.
    Thank you
    Petra

P.S. I tried to upload more pictures but it did not work

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default another picture just from him

My "grandpa" or George Mountford is the one in the middle of picture I originally posted.

Last edited by PetGRa1; 17-05-2018 at 2:23 PM. Reason: adding another pic