Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default DNA and my 1st cousins

I have recently had a DNA test, this I did after a 1st Cousin had her DNA results which resulted in her fathers father ( her Grandfather) not being who we thought he was.

My DNA results suggest that she is now a 2nd Cousin not 1st, could this be because her Grandfather and mine are different people.

I have yet to discover who is my real Grandfather, in my Tree and what family thought, he was a John Purnell, but my DNA results indicate there is no connection to PURNELLs.

Robert

If you share the same grandmother, grandfather or both, you are first cousins. 2nd cousins share the same great grandparent, but not the same grandparent. How much DNA do you share?

My friend and her cousin had their DNA tested, the shared DNA is: 834 centimorgans shared across 44 DNA segments

How does that compare with the shared DNA you have with your cousin.

I am not an expert, the little I know I've picked up from my friend as I am interested in a DNA test, but haven't as yet had one done.

I came across this which may help you.
    https://i1.wp.com/thegeneticgenealogi...=1475320100986
    Alma

What do the birth certificates say?

Hi Lesley, its a long story, but on my Dads birth certificate there is no father named, my Nan name until recently, was Florence ruby Cox, married a George Arthur Butcher in Bristol 1893 aprox, they had four children and came to live in Newport Mon Wales, 1901 Census 87 Baldwin Street sharing a house with a John Purnell and his family, by about 1903 the children were in the Newport Workhouse, In the 1911 she is now living at 156 Dock Street Newport, and it states she is a housekeeper, no sign of her first four children, but she now has a Marie Purnell 1906 and a John Purnell 1907, on there birth Certs the surname is Purnell-Butcher, the family believed that they went to London to get married, but I have never found this marriage, she has two more children, My Dad 1912 and another son Arthur, both down as Purnell-Butcher, and John Purnell was supposed to be the father of all four children.

My cousin a daughter of Arthur Purnell-butcher had a DNA test which suggested a link to a Lloyd Family, 1911 Census there is a John Arthur Lloyd down as a lodger and it appears that he is the father, given that my Dad was not born until 1912 I thought it was more than possible that the John Arthur Lloyd could be my Dads father as well, I have just received mine, no links to any PURNELL and a few links to Lloyd family amongst other. Robert

Quote Originally Posted by maesglas/ssclub View Post
    I have recently had a DNA test, this I did after a 1st Cousin had her DNA results which resulted in her fathers father ( her Grandfather) not being who we thought he was.

My DNA results suggest that she is now a 2nd Cousin not 1st, could this be because her Grandfather and mine are different people.

I have yet to discover who is my real Grandfather, in my Tree and what family thought, he was a John Purnell, but my DNA results indicate there is no connection to PURNELLs.

Robert
    No seeming genetic connection to Purnell doesn't mean your ancestors weren't Purnells. Just means a relative who is an exact Purnell hasn't tested.

I'd know. Being 3/4ths British DNA tests supply countless American relatives and no meaningful surnames in relation to that British ancestry within the 2nd to 4th cousin bracket. If I was adopted or wasn't so sure about my ancestry I'd be led to believe I was American through dna.

Hi Lesley, its a long story, but on my Dads birth certificate there is no father named, my Nan name until recently, was Florence ruby Cox, married a George Arthur Butcher in Bristol 1893 aprox, they had four children and came to live in Newport Mon Wales, 1901 Census 87 Baldwin Street sharing a house with a John Purnell and his family, by about 1903 the children were in the Newport Workhouse, In the 1911 she is now living at 156 Dock Street Newport, and it states she is a housekeeper, no sign of her first four children, but she now has a Marie Purnell 1906 and a John Purnell 1907, on there birth Certs the surname is Purnell-Butcher, the family believed that they went to London to get married, but I have never found this marriage, she has two more children, My Dad 1912 and another son Arthur, both down as Purnell-Butcher, and John Purnell was supposed to be the father of all four children.

My cousin a daughter of Arthur Purnell-butcher had a DNA test which suggested a link to a Lloyd Family, 1911 Census there is a John Arthur Lloyd down as a lodger and it appears that he is the father, given that my Dad was not born until 1912 I thought it was more than possible that the John Arthur Lloyd could be my Dads father as well, I have just received mine, no links to any PURNELL and a few links to Lloyd family amongst other. Robert
    How far removed are these Lloyd relatives? And have you checked to see if there are any Lloyd's further back in your family tree - forgoing the unsure father - to see if there's a connection that way?

That's one thing I've found about DNA it can skew relatives' closeness. They are, after all, simply been matched on the size of DNA shared. If a person & their distant cousin happened to inherit an abnormally large piece of shared DNA they'd seem closer than reality while if a person & their close cousin inherited less shared DNA they'd seem further away.

Sorry for the delay in replying, a 1st cousin or at least that is what I thought, has had his DNA test and there is no link to myself, as for Lloyd links further back in my tree I cannot find any at present, but will keep an open mind.

Thanks to all for your advice and thoughts.

Robert

Famous for offering help & advice

Robert

Robert,, Just because you don't show up as first cousins with your DNA does not mean anything. I have a 2nd cousin who shows up as a 3rd and another 2nd cousin, same gr. grandparents as myself and the other one mentioned shows up as a 4th.. It all depends who you have got the most NA from.. perhaps it's from the other side of your family. Don't put a lot of stock in how close they say you are related...use it to find relatives that are there to be found.