Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Thank you Owl - and I wouldn't expect you to plough through all the records! He is listed :-) I don't have the silver medal just the honourable discharge certificate but I have his other three medals. I will do as you suggest and start a new thread; thank you. What is sad is that I found his grave a couple of years ago and it is unmarked. I put a poppy cross on it last year as it seemed wrong for him to be lying there 100 years after he lost his leg. It turns out though (I found the burial cards) that his wife and young son are also in the grave, which is just so sad. Hope you can join me on my new thread and help further :-)

Starting to feel at home

Just an update - we have just about finished clearing the house and were just about to throw out a small round mirror when I realised... it should fit my fretwork frame! Sure enough, it is the perfect (almost!) fit and is definitely what was in the centre to start with (the mirror is old and bevelled). Thank you so much for all your help, and I just wanted to let you know what was missing from the centre in case anyone has a similar item :-)

A fountain of knowledge

Although you found a mirror which fits the round space, this piece is so clearly a patriotic piece intended to highlight the service of a man of the household. I can't help thinking that the mirror was a later replacement for a photograph. It was extremely common for families to frame photographs of their men away at the front. Unpatriotic not to do so. I cannot think it would be usual to have this sort of piece and put a mirror in it. I think the mirror came later. There may have been reasons for the removal of a photograph.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you Lenore for your reply. I have been thinking the same thing but... I know my Grandad spent a year in France recovering from his injuries so it seems logical (to me and I am no expert) that he made the frame so I am not sure why he would have put a picture of himself in it (the bevelled mirror is a perfect match and we didn't find any photos that would fit and I can't think of any reason why a photo would have been removed at the same time as finding a mirror to replace it). I am happy to know the truth either way :-D The frame is now in pride of place for all to see as I felt it was a shame to lose this small bit of the past, but I would still really love to know the whole story behind it. It is, though, now a treasured piece that I will not be binning any time soon!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueek View Post
    Thank you Lenore for your reply. I have been thinking the same thing but... I know my Grandad spent a year in France recovering from his injuries so it seems logical (to me and I am no expert) that he made the frame so I am not sure why he would have put a picture of himself in it (the bevelled mirror is a perfect match and we didn't find any photos that would fit and I can't think of any reason why a photo would have been removed at the same time as finding a mirror to replace it). I am happy to know the truth either way :-D The frame is now in pride of place for all to see as I felt it was a shame to lose this small bit of the past, but I would still really love to know the whole story behind it. It is, though, now a treasured piece that I will not be binning any time soon!
    It is possible the photo fell out over time and was replaced many years later by a mirror from a compact or even from a handheld mirror.
    There were many of those (mirrors) about in the 1950s or 60s
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you, Guy. You may be right that the mirror replaced a photo but, looking at the family timeline, I think it would have been before the 50s/60s if that was the case. I guess I will never know. I am just happy to have it tbh as it is a talking point for sure :-) But if anyone can offer more information in the future I would be very pleased to hear it.

A fountain of knowledge

Since this thread has been revived, I'll just do what I never got round to before and thank Peter (elsinore) for the link in post #22 to the Hobbies catalogue. This has revealed the origin of two large fretwork Lord's Prayers which were donated to my Church 20-odd years ago. The design appears on page 194 of the cat, 4th line up from the bottom of the thumbnails.

Starting to feel at home

That is so lovely Chris. Do you have a link to the catalogue or is it not online?

A fountain of knowledge

Sorry, I was being lazy and leaving people to go back to elsinore's post. The whole catalogue is at
    https://www.
    finescrollsaw.com/hobbies1912catalogue/hobbies1912catalogue.htm

and the page 194 image at
    https://www.
    finescrollsaw.com/hobbies1912catalogue/hobbies_catalogue_1912_194.jpg
    (click on the image to expand)

The glass case wasn't part of the kit. The other one we have isn't so impressive, being stained a single dark brown colour. I hesitate to think how many hours (and how many broken fretsaw blades!) it took to make them.

Default Picture of the flags?

Hi, I have a very useful FB group that I posted your picture to. The frame is called a "fretwork" photo frame. There are many images that come up in a google search, but not yours. A close-up picture of the flags on the right would be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueek View Post
    Hello everyone

I have unfortunately just had to start clearing my parents' home and have been finding so many things I never knew existed.

We have found lots of old stuff lying around and one is really intriguing me. I thought it would be easy to research but nothing has come up. We found an old frame for a picture (unfortunately that is missing but I am hoping to find it) and maybe pipes??? I have attached a picture (sorry it is the wrong orientation) and really hope someone might have some answers.

Many thanks

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast