Settling in

Default George William Fenton, born in Walsall?

My wife is the grand-daughter of George William Fenton, probably born in Walsall, Staffordshire, around 1875 to James Fenton and Catherine Wood.
    In the 1881 census, he is said to be born in Walsall. However, searches of birth registrations does not reveal any births of a George in Walsall at this time, nor in several years either way of 1875.

I have a birth registration of a George Fenton in District of Oldbury, more particularly in Worley Wigorn. Mother was an Eliza Fenton, father not named. To date, I have no connection of Eliza Fenton to the family of James Fenton.

I am in the slow process of trying to find if Eliza is a relation in any way.
    My questions are:
    1. Is there somewhere else to search for birth of George William Fenton;

2. I believe that legal adoptions did not occur at this time, is that correct?;

3. Is there anyone reading this that has any relevant research of the Fenton family from Walsall;

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    My last resort of course will be to engage in a local researcher to help, but I am in the hope I can solve my difficulty.
    Thank you
    Graham Anderson

Famous for offering help & advice

Like you I can't find a birth registration for him, but he was baptised 30 May 1875 at St Paul's, Walsall

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NXJ1-ZHW

If you contact Staffordshire Records Office they should be able to provide you with a copy for a small fee.

https://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/lei...ying/home.aspx

The General Register Office (GRO) has birth registrations in the reg. district of Walsall, mother's maiden name Wood for -

James, Mar Qtr 1867 (1867)
    Edward, Sep Qtr 1868 (1869)
    Thomas, Sep Qtr 1871 (1872)
    Alfred, ------------------ (1874)
    George, ----------------- (1876)
    Ernest, Mar Qtr 1877 (1877)
    Harrie, Sep Qtr 1880 (1881)

The year in brackets is the child's age from the 1881 Census.

The GRO appears to be lacking a birth registration for both an Alfred and a George?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

There are baptisms (FMP transcriptions) for -
    George William Fenton, 30 May 1875
    Ernest Fenton, 11 May 1877
    Harry Edgar Fenton, 17 Jun 1880

Post 1881 there are birth registrations and baptisms for Bertram Percy Fenton, bap 11 April 1883 and Kate Fenton, bap 15 Jun 1885. The 1891 census has "Alfred J Fenton, age 17 (born c. 1874)

Settling in

Thank you helachau for your response. I have searched the GRO website and also the freebmd site with a variety of alternatives, but to no avail for a birth registration. And now back to trying to discover possibilities. Thank you again.

Settling in

Thank you jomot1 for your response and assistance. I will follow up on the baptism registration details that you provided. I was wondering what is your interest in also desiring the birth certificate of George William? Related? My wife is a direct descendant - granddaughter.
    I have a birth registration for a George in West Bromwich to an Eliza Fenton, a worker in a brick factory. I have been trying to add a copy of this to this message but it is not happening yet. Do you have any Eliza Fenton being a relative to James Fenton in Walsall. I am thinking whether it could be an "adoption" from an unmarried relative. Just a hunch.
    Anyway, thank you for your help.
    Regards, Graham Anderson

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Graham

I'm not related to or researching the Fenton family, just trying to help with your enquiry - sometimes another pair of eyes can spot badly transcribed entries, but not this time!

You may be correct about adoption, but as the baptism is to James & Kate and they have several other 'registered' children my instinct is that George is theirs, but I may be wrong.

Until the Births and Deaths Registration Act 1874 the onus was on the Registrar to register any births - the 1874 legislation shifted this to the parents and introduced penalties for failing to comply, but as it was a relatively new change it's possible that the parents simply didn't realise.

Settling in

Hi jobot, again thank you very much for your response and input into my search. I have now sent a request to the Stafford Records Office for a copy of the baptism record. Cheers. Graham

A James Fenton, aged 62 (YoB c. 1845) died Walsall 1907, Jun Qtr. His will is available via https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

(Search "1858 - 1996" section for Fenton, 1907).

The puzzle is - why were 2 registrations (Alfred J and George W) apparently missed?

Settling in

Hi there helachau, and thank you again for your response. I have ordered the will of James Fenton who is the father of George William, and that may add something to the story.
    As to the registrations, it is a question to which we will probably never be able to answer. As far as George goes, I do have a copy of a birth registration for a George Fenton, born at Warley Wigorn, registered at West Bromwich in April 1875, to Eliza Fenton, with no father named. I am now trying to see if Eliza Fenton is a member of the Walsall Fenton family. Might be an off chance that this George was "adopted" by the Walsall family if she was related and unmarried. More research needed, and thank you for your assistance.
    Regards. Graham Anderson