Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Missing death index and certificate

I've hit a brick wall, I'm trying to find my 3rd Great Grandfather Giovanni Battista's death index (eventually to order the certificate).

Some general information about him:

Given name(s): Giovanni
    Surname: Battista
    Birthdate: 19 May 1847
    Birthplace: Rocca d'Arce, Frosinone, Lazio, Italy
    Alternative Birthplace: Cassino, Frosinone, Lazio, Italy
    Estimated date of death: 1901 - 1910
    Name of spouse at death: Anastatia Finley Whalan (Battista)

England Census Info

Place of residence 1901: Tynemouth, Northumberland, England
    Place of residence 1891: North Shields, Northumberland, England
    Place of residence 1881: Newcastle on Tyne All Sts, Northumberland, England

Other Info

Two of his children's marriage entries list his name as "John Battista" (Giovanni is John in Italian), one marriage in 1910 states he is deceased.

Since he is alive in the 1901 census, but listed as deceased in his child's marriage in 1910 and does not appear in the 1911 census, he must have died between 1901 and 1910. Here is my 2nd Great Grandfather's marriage from 1910, listing his father as deceased: https://i.imgur.com/Mwq6o2t.jpg

I can not find him in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1837-1915. I was not able to find his wife in any future censuses. However, I did find her death index in 1934.

What I have searched:
    • GRO index, FreeBMD, ancestry.co.uk, FamilySearch, North Tyneside Council online records, Sunderland Council online records, Northumberland Council online records & Newcastle Council online records.

• All Battista (and misspellings/phonetically similar names) death records from 1899 to 1922 throughout England. None of which match the age at death between those years +/- 5 years. None of which match any variations or misspellings of his name.

• Gravestone websites for his name.

• England and Wales will search - GOV.UK

I've also requested a manual search from 1900 - 1911 from the North Tyneside Registrars (who are responsible for record keeping in the regions Giovanni lived in, in his last two censuses). They were not able to find his death but did find his first wife's death in 1900 (Elizabeth); he was listed as the spouse and reporter.

I will be requesting manual searches of records from Newcastle, Northumberland and Sunderland.

It's looking a lot like his death wasn't registered at all in England. FreeBMD and GRO index searches for only the surname Battista and phonetic variations (no given names entered) from 1900 - 1922 throughout England result in no names or death ages that are close. I've found his children's death indexes, even his brother who died in 1900. I'm running out of ideas; any help would be much appreciated.

Famous for offering help & advice

I know the age is out by a lot and the death is also after 1911, but have you definitely ruled out the 1915 death in Chelsea? I can't see this man anywhere in the 1911 census, or any earlier one come to that.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    I know the age is out by a lot and the death is also after 1911, but have you definitely ruled out the 1915 death in Chelsea? I can't see this man anywhere in the 1911 census, or any earlier one come to that.
    He's in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 census.

I don't know if you'll be able to see this, but here's my ancestry.com profile of him: https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree...02756595/facts

FamilySearch profile (less complete/accurate): https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/L89K-DR7

I saw the Chelsea entry for a Giovani Batista, not ruled out completely. I do know that there are cases of deaths being registered years after they occurred. I will likely order that death certificate from GRO. 55 is the death age, which is one year more than his last age at 1901 census. This is just the age of death, so if he died in 1911-1912 and was only registered in 1915, this could indeed be the case.

Sorry, it was the Chelsea Giovani I meant when I said I couldn't find him in any census. The one in London in 1911 died in 1931, so it's not him.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Ah, I see. Increases the chances that it is the Giovanni I'm looking for, just a late death registration. If Chelsea Giovani's only record is his death, that still leaves that record a possibility. I'm glad you ruled out the London one.

Although ~13 years is quite a long death registration delay.

I doubt that a death registration would be anywhere near that long. As far as I'm aware deaths should be notified within 5-days. I think there are special rules in certain circumstances, but registration that late would be exceptional and would need special permission from the Registrar General.

The one in Chelsea may well be someone else entirely, but I guess there's only one way to know for sure. It would help if Anastatia could be found in 1911, but she's hiding herself very well!

Starting to feel at home

How is his wife described on her death in 1934 ... " wife of" or widow of " ?

I think the key may be to establish where the family, especially his wife, are in 1911.

The father's description on a marriage can often be wrong, especially where a family has broken up, and is not checked in any way, so may or may not be correct.

You can only determine so much from index entries, and only then by making assumptions, I would order the 1915 death to rule it in/out.

(forget the late registration theory).

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by AntonyMMM View Post
    How is his wife described on her death in 1934 ... " wife of" or widow of " ?

I think the key may be to establish where the family, especially his wife, are in 1911.

The father's description on a marriage can often be wrong, especially where a family has broken up, and is not checked in any way, so may or may not be correct.

You can only determine so much from index entries, and only then by making assumptions, I would order the 1915 death to rule it in/out.

(forget the late registration theory).
    I ordered the PDF of the 1915 death certificate a few hours ago. We'll see how that turns out.

1911 census, family locations:

Giovanni Battista, 64 - Missing
    Wife: Anastatia Battista, 48 (Whalan) - Missing (remarried?)

Biological children (to Elizabeth E. Lawson)
    Son: Pasqualino Battista, 32 - Navy (not present in 1911 census, but entries in 1911 for UK Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services)
    Daughter: Georgina Battista (Birmingham), 29 - Staying with sister Orselina in Tynemouth.
    Daughter: Orselina Battista (Spence), 26 - Tynemouth, head of house.
    Daughter: Elizabeth Ann Battista, 25 - Missing (married or dead?)
    Son: Antonio Battista, 22 - 3 Back Barrington Street Monkwearmonth Sunderland, head of house.
    John George Battista, 20 - Tynemouth, married. Not present in 1911 census. Has a 1911 marriage index.
    Vincent C Battista, 16 - 11 Alexandra St Victoria Garesfield Nr Rowlands Gill, boarder, coal miner.
    William Armstrong Battista, 13 - Sculcoates, Yorkshire-East Riding, inmate.
    James Battista, 11 - Tynemouth, Northumberland, inmate.

(Step-children from marriage to Anastatia Whalan)
    Step-daughter: Maria Alicia Whalan, 25 - Missing (married or dead?)
    Step-daughter - Eleonore Whalan, 22 - Mising (married or dead?)
    Step-daughter - Anastasia Whalan, 19 - Missing (there is a potential marriage record in 1916)
    Step-son - Michael Whalan - dead

All children have been separated. Anastatia Battista can not be found in the 1911 census, although there does appear to be electoral records of her from 1913 onwards (under Anastatia Whalan). I'm not sure if this is her. She reappears in 1934 for a death index as Anastatia Battista (age and location seems correct).

The youngest two of Giovanni's children are "inmates", not sure if that meant prison, orphanage or what. The family has split apart completely in 1911.

I know Anastatia's census records in 1911 are very helpful in finding out if she's widowed, unfortunately I can't seem to find her in any census after 1901. Remarried perhaps...

I suppose I need to order the death certificate for Anastatia Battista from 1934 as well?

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by battista View Post

The youngest two of Giovanni's children are "inmates", not sure if that meant prison, orphanage or what. The family has split apart completely in 1911.
    You just need to go back to the beginning of the census record. It was the Humber Industrial School Ship 'Southampton' at Alexander Dock, Hull.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    You just need to go back to the beginning of the census record. It was the Humber Industrial School Ship 'Southampton' at Alexander Dock, Hull.
    Ah, yes. I even have that written down...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast