Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi
    Can't help with Giovani, but just wanted to say hello from a Battista that still lives in Newcastle Upon Tyne.
    Good luck with your search.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Whilst I can't help you find your certificate I can perhaps help shed a bit of light on procedural matters.

If someone dies away from home, and there is no identification with them, the coroner will still issue a death certificate. So by way of example on 7 May 1886 a man in my tree killed himself by jumping in front of train, many miles from his home. The Coroner issued a death certificate on 28 May 1886 - under name it says "unknown".

Presumably because of the publicity, and because his family must have been looking for him, on 11th June a whole series of correcting notes have been added to the death certificate giving his name and occupation etc.

Sometimes of course the family won't have known what happened, and that's when you find in burial records the phrase "known only unto God", but after 1837, there will have been a death certificate issued in England and Wales.

Another possibility you need to contemplate is could he have gone to the Continent to visit relatives?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123