Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

It doesnt help in finding Giovanni, but there is a short mention of William in the Shields Daily News dated 28 Oct 1909:

"The Workhouse Committee recommended that Wm Battista, who had frequently played truant and absented himself from the Workhouse, be sent to an Industrial School".

I was checking all marriages, anywhere/anytime on FreeBMD and this one popped up with these names on the same page
    March 1/4 1901 vol 10b page 377 Anastatia/Anastacia Whelan and Giovanni/Giovani Battista/BATTISTA (two entries for each name)

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    It doesnt help in finding Giovanni, but there is a short mention of William in the Shields Daily News dated 28 Oct 1909:

"The Workhouse Committee recommended that Wm Battista, who had frequently played truant and absented himself from the Workhouse, be sent to an Industrial School".
    Interesting, I haven't seen that before! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I was checking all marriages, anywhere/anytime on FreeBMD and this one popped up with these names on the same page
    March 1/4 1901 vol 10b page 377 Anastatia/Anastacia Whelan and Giovanni/Giovani Battista/BATTISTA (two entries for each name)

Christina
    Thanks, Christina. I have that one pinned to my ancestry.com tree. Along with the 1901 census, it at least narrows a death down to after 1901.

I might order their marriage certificate. However, I'm more interested in his first wife (my direct line). If I could find Anastasia in 1911, it might add further proof of Giovanni's death.

Quote Originally Posted by battista View Post
    Anastatia Battista can not be found in the 1911 census, although there does appear to be electoral records of her from 1913 onwards (under Anastatia Whalan).
    She is also in the 1910/11 electoral records under Anastatia Whelan living at 18 Coquet Street, All Saints, Newcastle. No-one else is listed there, but frustratingly there is no census return for that address in 1911 (I've checked two separate sites). The qualifying address(es) are 18 Coquet Street and 40 Buxton Street, which in 1911 has families named Gaffney, O Neil, McConkey & Farrier.

She is also in the 1911/12 electoral at 18 Coquet Street, All Saints, Newcastle.

In 1912/13 she is listed at 1 Tarset Street, All Saints, with the qualifying address being 18 Coquet Street and 1 Tarset Street, but the 1911 census for Tarset Street again gives no clues (family is named Walker).

Actually, she can be traced back quite a few years:

1903/4 - 6 No. 1 Court - also John Boyle, Charles Seager & Margaret Brown. Qualifying address: 7&6 No. 1 Court & 2 Stowell Square.
    1904/5 - 6 No. 1 Court - also John Boyle & Margaret Brown. Qualifying address: 7&6 No. 1 Court & 3 Grainger Building, Park Place
    1905/6 - 40 Buxton Street - also Matthew Mattheson & Henry Armistead. Qualifying address: 6 No. 1 Court, Stowell Street, 87 Newgate Street & 40 Buxton Court.
    1908/9 - 40 Buxton Street - also Matthew Matthewson & John Farrier. Qualifying address: 40 Buxton Street

If this is her then it would imply that she & Giovanni separated (or he died) before 1903, although I'm not sure how she would manage to appear on the electoral register as I thought women weren't allowed to vote until 1918.

In later years Mary Alice Whelan is with her, as is a John Slavin. A Mary Alice Whelan died in Newcastle in 1952 aged 66, so born c1886, which would fit with Maria Alicia.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

She is also in the 1910/11 electoral records under Anastatia Whelan living at 18 Coquet Street, All Saints, Newcastle. No-one else is listed there, but frustratingly there is no census return for that address in 1911 (I've checked two separate sites). .
    I didn't realise you could search census records by address, that's pretty helpful actually.

If this is her then it would imply that she & Giovanni separated (or he died) before 1903, although I'm not sure how she would manage to appear on the electoral register as I thought women weren't allowed to vote until 1918.
    Hmm, that is interesting. I suppose only British citizens appeared on these lists? I haven't found an electoral record of Giovanni, but I did find one of his brother Vincenzo. If only British citizens can vote, that might indicate he never naturalised (which is another thing I'm researching as well).

In later years Mary Alice Whelan is with her, as is a John Slavin. A Mary Alice Whelan died in Newcastle in 1952 aged 66, so born c1886, which would fit with Maria Alicia.
    John Slavin did seem familiar to me; I thought I saw a name like that last night. It turns out there's a marriage index for an Anastatia Whelan and a John Slavin, 1916 in Newcastle upon Tyne. However, this (and those electoral records) could be the daughter, not the mother; both have the same name.

I've found a record for a Mary A Slavin in 1891 England Census; her father is John Slavin and mother Elizabeth Slavin. Birth year of ~1888. Another Maria Alicia Whelan, born in Lancashire, England, birth date 26 Sep 1886. Father Joanni Whelan and Alicia Hanter.

Marriage index for a Mary Whelan in 1909, Tynemouth (same location, right time for marriage as my Maria Alicia Whalan ). Potential spouses: Mary Jane Mason, George Oliver, David Ward.

Quote Originally Posted by battista View Post

John Slavin did seem familiar to me; I thought I saw a name like that last night. It turns out there's a marriage index for an Anastatia Whelan and a John Slavin, 1916 in Newcastle upon Tyne. However, this (and those electoral records) could be the daughter, not the mother; both have the same name.
    An Anastasia Slavin aged 28 (born c1894) died in Newcastle in 1922. There are two Slavin/Whelan births, one in 1916 and one in 1919, so it may well be that this death is Anastatia the daughter.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Have received the death certificate, doesn't appear to be him:https://i.imgur.com/1W3G9E1.png

I think it's still a little inconclusive as he can't be found anywhere prior to this, although the age difference is definitely a concern.

A newspaper report says that identification was made by Domenico Versino who lived at the same address but who doesn't seem to be a relative. His name was given as Jean De Baptista, an Italian-Swiss subject.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I think it's still a little inconclusive as he can't be found anywhere prior to this, although the age difference is definitely a concern.

A newspaper report says that identification was made by Domenico Versino who lived at the same address but who doesn't seem to be a relative. His name was given as Jean De Baptista, an Italian-Swiss subject.
    The big issue with this death certificate is that the only thing that matches is the name. Age, location, occupation, family circumstances and marriage certificates all do not match with this certificate. If the age was close, I'd definitely be leaning towards this being him.

"Jean De Baptista, an Italian-Swiss subject" Hmm, Swiss doesn't match either. Although I don't have the birth certificate yet, all records indicate his family has been in the same Italian commune for at least a few generations.

Definitely won't dismiss it, maybe there's more information I can find out about this Chelsea death. I'll continue searching. Perhaps he went back to Italy and died, I'll request a death certificate from his commune as well.

Thanks for all your help so far @Jomot1, all sorts of things to consider.

DianaCanada

Have you ruled out the John Baptist who died in Swansea in 1907? Long way from home, but the age does match.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast