Thread: HM Ml145 - 1943

Default HM Ml145 - 1943

Good afternoon, I'm trying to trace crew lists for Ml 145 - this Motor Launch was involved with three German 'E' Boats in September / October 1943 off (I think) Lowestoft and my Uncle (Leading Seaman Frederick Kelly) was involved an awarded the DSM. I have lots about that incident but would love to learn more and to see when my Uncle enlisted and when he was demobbed - he used to joke about being a sailor, but we never took him seriously - he was an inveterate joker.

Can anyone help?

Reputation beyond repute

Isn't it his service record you want, rather than crew lists?

There is one reference in the National Archives catalogue
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C6423422

If you're interested in ships' logs see ADM 53 in the catalogue
    "Whilst all ships logs are continued for 1939 and the early months of 1940, thereafter, the majority of logs for ships smaller than cruisers appear not to have survived for the remaining war years"

Hello Peter, I suppose so, yes, but all I can find is that which is on 'Forces War Records' which relates to this one incident and my Uncle's award. If I can get his full service record, that would be very good. I need to ponder a while. Thanks for responding it is appreciated.

A fountain of knowledge

Hi,
    Welcome to Brit_Gen.

Records for Armed Forces personel serving after 1920 are still held by the MOD.
    This link Obtain Service Records is about applying for those records.

In Brief:- If the person is still alive then only they can obtain their records (without charge), their spouse, (or parents if no spouse) can obtain the records also without charge but will need to supply a copy of the person's Death Cert. For anyone else it will cost £30, a copy of the Death Cert. plus patience.
    There is a restriction on the amount of information supplied to non NOK for 25 yrs after date of death, unless they have NOK permission to access the records.

A Cert. is NOT required if the person died whilst still serving.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

ftunney - until 1972 naval personnel were given their records when they were discharged so the MoD hold limited details.
    There's more information in the Research Tutorials section on FWR. (Scroll down past the army bit.)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hello Pam, I'm an absolute novice in such things, can you point me to the specific page where I can find the tutorials page please?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by ftunney View Post
    Hello Pam, I'm an absolute novice in such things, can you point me to the specific page where I can find the tutorials page please?
    No wonder you can't easily find it - the little whatnots have changed their home page since I posted and it no longer says 'research tutorials' anywhere.
    After several minutes of fiddling and increasing blood pressure I've finally found where they've hidden it.

When you access the FWR site now, you should see a blue banner across the top of the page and on the right-hand side it says 'home, help, my account'.
    Click on help, and select genealogy guide. As per previous instructions, scroll down past the army stuff till you come to the navy.

Oam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”