Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    archworth

Default find George W.Pearce

My paternal grandfather George W. Pearce appears only two times on official records.

I. passenger list: September 18. 1912 onboard Royal Edward departed Bristol destination Montreal Canada.
    George Pearce
    age 38
    birth year 1874
    occupation Engineer

accompanied by :
    Edith Pearce
    Wife
    no occupation
    destination Winnipeg, Manitoba , Canada

2. my father's birth certificate

Ernest Stanway Pearce
    18 January 1913
    Winnipeg, Manitoba

Father George William Pearce
    born Oxford England

Mother. Edith May Hassall
    born Limebridge, England.

*marriage record not found.

POSSIBLE MATCH

UK incoming passenger list
    Liverpool 17 July 1914
    Munition workers

ship Metegama
    GEORGE WILLIAM PEARCE
    moulder
    age 41
    to war Office, London

last permanent residence Canada

future permanent residence British Possesions

I have not been able to find proof that this is my grandfather as I am unable to find any records for munitions workers.

As I am nearing my 80th birthday, I hope to leave my family some record of their ancestry.

Any help of suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.
    thank you

archworth.

Famous for offering help & advice

I don't know of any place in England called Limebridge, but wondered if it should be Lambridge, Bath (Somerset), which would also fit with a departure from Bristol.

Although this doesn't fit with George William's stated birth place of Oxford, there is a George William Pearce, Moulder born 1874, Whitley, Wiltshire living in Bath in 1911 along with his wife Eva (Shattock) and children. In 1901 he was Eva's lodger and they married in 1903 in Lyncombe, Bath. His parents were Robert Pearce & Mary Ann (Bull).

I see from the passenger list that Edith was born c 1884, and the only birth I can find around that time is this one - which fits very nicely with your father's middle name - but it's nowhere near Lambridge/Bath.

HASSALL, EDITH MAY mothers maiden name: STANWAY
    GRO Reference: 1884 S Quarter in MADELEY UNION Volume 06A Page 641

In 1911 Edith appears to be working in Macclesfield, Cheshire (wrongly transcribed as Hassatt):
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW3M-YKG

If George William was already married then it might explain them being economic with the truth about their places of birth.

Famous for offering help & advice

Just adding to my last post about George William Pearce, husband of Eva Shattock.

In 1919 George, Eva and their three sons sailed to Canada aboard the Corsican, and in answer to the question of whether he had been in Canada previously George answered yes 1913-1915, Toronto (?). I may have looked at the wrong record, but I thought the George who came as a munitions worker arrived in 1915, not 1914?

By 1930 the family is in Milwaukee, USA

Growing old Disgracefully

If you "Google" Limebridge" you will find "Limebridge Belt, Pembrokeshire, Wales which is now Woodland Or Forest.

Reputation beyond repute

HASSALL, EDITH MAY mothers maiden name: STANWAY
    GRO Reference: 1884 S Quarter in MADELEY UNION Volume 06A Page 641
    According to the parish register, the parish was BROSELEY. The most famous structure in Broseley is the famous Iron Bridge.

Of course, this may be a red herring.

When you say that he only appears on 2 official records, does that mean that he is not to be found in the UK census or birth, marriage and death records?

Hi archworth,

Do you have details on Edith after 1913 when her son was born? If so did she stay in Canada,where/when did she die, and did your father know and live with his father? Please post all relevant information you have.
    Alma

If Edith and George William Pearce didn't marry, could this be a marriage for Edith.

Edith May HASSALE, 16 Aug 1924, Winnipeg, Manitoba.
    Groom: John Lee Robinson
    Alma

It does appear that Edith and son Ernest were living in Winnipeg in 1921, enumerated on census as Hassell (no sign of George W. Pearce)

Therefore, is it possible that 'your' GWP is the chap who Jomot mentions at post #3
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Just adding to my last post about George William Pearce, husband of Eva Shattock.

In 1919 George, Eva and their three sons sailed to Canada aboard the Corsican, and in answer to the question of whether he had been in Canada previously George answered yes 1913-1915, Toronto (?). I may have looked at the wrong record, but I thought the George who came as a munitions worker arrived in 1915, not 1914?

By 1930 the family is in Milwaukee, USA
    Border crossing US to Canada, arr. Emerson, Manitoba, 19 Sep 1926 .

George Pearce, 51yrs, married, born wiltshire, England, living Milwaukee.

Answer to question 'in Canada before': March 1913 to June 23 1924, Toronto; C of E; Iron Moulder;

Destination: Son - Arthur Pearce, add. 102, Fernwood Ave? St Vital, Winnipeg.

Mother: Mary Pearce, East View, Whitley Wilts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

George, wife Eva and sons Arthur 16, Frank 14 and Ralph 12 are on the 1921 Canadian census. 238 Isabel St, Winnipeg Centre. Year of immigration 1919.
    Alma

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast