Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Trial at Hereford QS 28 June 1841

James Walters was tried at Hereford QS on 28th June 1841 for Highway Robbery and received 15 years.

He embarked 17 Nov 1841 and arrived in Tasmania Australia 6th April 1842 and was recorded as a Protestant - can read. Age 21 years. Occupation labourer. Native of Worcester.

Is there anywhere that I would be able to obtain any further detail of the trial or case details?

I am trying to identify James Walters family in Worcestershire.

For that sort of thing, I have had most success with the sites providing scans of old newspapers - Find My Past and Old British Newspapers (both subscription or (Possibly pay as you go) sites) have a lot. As with many of things, the amount of info depends on how much else they need to fit on the page that day. I’ve seen everything from “name, crime & sentence” to a full account with witness statements and mention of family...

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Wink

Hi Lesley

Thank you very much for your advice - greatly appreciated

regards

Geoff

Brick wall demolition expert!

HO27 - Criminal Registers, England and Wales, 1805-1892: aged 20, (Ann Davies was 29) date of trial 28 June 1841: charged with ‘Robbery with violence’. Sentence 15 years transportation.

Hereford Journal 30 June 1841: James Walters and Ann Davies, charged with having together in the morning of Tuesday the 11th of May last at Rodd Nash and Little Brampton, assaulted Joseph Price, and taken from his person four half-crowns and two shillings – fifteen years transportation each.

HO13 - Correspondence and Warrants dated 5 July 1841 – the order for his removal from the gaol at Hereford to the prison hulk, the ‘Warrior’.

HO8 - Convict Hulks, Convict Prisons and Criminal Lunatic Asylums: Quarterly Returns Of Prisoners – this is the record of him aboard the Warrior, which does not tell you anything other than the fact that he was healthy and that he was transferred to the “John Brewer” on 17 Nov 1841 for transportation to V.D.L.

HO9 - UK, Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books, 1802-1849 – similar to HO8, but available on Ancestry tells you that he arrived on the Warrior on 13 July 1841, and that he was a labourer, able to read, and an itinerant hawker. This may well have been his first offence because many of his fellow convicts are described as being repeat offenders etc., but it would have been the violence that would have got him the long sentence. This data set is available at Ancestry.

Sorry I should have also mentioned it might be worth contacting Hereford record office to see if they have (a) the Quarter Session records of the trial and / or (b) any of the gaol records - I have found the latter can be particularly informative.

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/inf...cords_centre/2

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Thank you Meagan

Sorry to ask, but can you tell me what the HO27, HO13 etc references are?

HO is the National Archives prefix denoting that they are Home Office records, and then the numbers are the series numbers.

If you want to have a look around the National Archives site they have some useful guides: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...ategory=online

Reputation beyond repute

Sorry to ask, but can you tell me what the HO27, HO13 etc references are?

A good place to start poking around the HO series in the catalogue is: https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...rowse/r/h/C518