Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Starting to feel at home

Hi Pam, yes it did take place in Australia, sorry i did not add that to my post.Roma Queensland 1879
    Last edited by david walker; 11-05-2018 at 3:33 AM. Reason: incorrect year

A fountain of knowledge

Dear David

I am curious as to whether you made any progress with the German name.
    I asked a German friend if she could help and she replied as follows but in fact
    don't think it does help - but at least the thought was there!

" Her Name could be Stückens = Stueckens
    I tend to believe it means “Neustadt” too. Translated it is “Newtown”. We have 21 towns with this name in Germany alone.Poland has translated all German Names into Polish.
    There is a place in Bavaria called “Neustadt an der Aisch” whereby Aisch is a river.
    Deuter is not a town name.
    Could it look like Dresden?? They have a Neustadt as part of the town."

Without wishing to state the obvious, since the birth place is in Germany and she married
    in QLD have you looked at passenger lists or perhaps since she states her Father was a
    Lawyer is there anything that can be found through his professIon?

Interested to hear!
    Best wishes
    Jill
    PS I note you are in Bendigo. I went there (from the UK) for family tree work and was
    asked by someone in Oz to look for a house so spent many an hour searching in 46 degree heat!!
    But I did find it so wasn't too much of a whinging pom!

Starting to feel at home

Dear Jill, thank you for all the information regarding possible place names, i have found some further information regarding my relatives.
    I searched through the Australian national Archives, and came across, the naturalisation certificates of Mary's parents.
    Her mother wrote her "H" like an N and it was Hanstedt province of Holstein, and her Father was from Norder Hastadt province of Holstein ,Country of Denmark.
    Jill i hope you were able to add to your family tree while you were in oz, 46 Degrees yes thats a hot one , at the moment we are whinging ! ha ha its only 16 degrees and could go as low as 4 degrees overnight ., bring back summer please ha ha.
    Thank you once again Jill , cheers Dave

A fountain of knowledge

Dear Dave

Thanks for your reply and for updating us on the German place names. Good that you have solved
    the mystery. I reported back to my German friend who replies:

" Holstein was for a certain time a province of Denmark. There is still today a Denish political party active in Schleswig-Holstein, what is now the most northern part of Germany. A lovely place to travel, sandwiched by North Sea and Baltic Sea."

Sounds like an idea for your next holiday?!

Yes thanks re my Bendigo research. It all started with a letter my grandmother had, seemingly from a
    relative, with a Bendigo address so it took an immense amount of work to find out about it all which I did
    prior to visiting so despite the 46 degree heat (!) went to the cemetery and even the house where the
    relative lived - amazing where this work can take one!
    Best wishes
    Jill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12