Default Help finding my Grandfathers movements WW1

hello everyone

I am trying to trace the movements of my Grandfather ,John Smith ( no middle name) born 17/04/1890 in Mile End London. He appears in 1901 census but not in 1911 family census. Family knowledge is he did 8 1/2 years in India before being sent to WW1 battle. Apparently he was RHA , whether he went to WW1 via coming back to England first is what I am trying to find out. I have found some index records for John Smith 39257 and am trying to confirm if it is him. Also trying to track down what battalion/unit he was in in India and where in India. Not very knowledgeable about military matters so if saying the wrong description please forgive! As I am in NZ can't just pop down to look at archives. Also how hard is it to get records from MoD as had 2 Aunts and an Uncle whom served in WW2 and 3 others that did National Service after WW2. Any info as to where to go for records would be appreciated. Am member of Ancestry, Find my past and some other forums as trying all avenues to get info. Ancestry is such a confusing site!!

Thanks for any help!

Cheers

Kathryn from NZ

Hi Kathryn and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain why.

Oh dear it isn't easy finding records at the best of times but for a John Smith with no middle name! Also 60% plus of WW1 service records were destroyed in WW11 by bombing/fire so it is more likely they won't have survived. What did survive are the Medal Roll Index cards and Award and medal records but these very, very rarely have any sort of personal information.
    FMP and ancestry are the sites licensed to hold the records you seek.
    It is easy to apply for WW11 service records from the MoD see this 'sticky' but you do need 30 pounds and a copy of the death certificate for each application unless the death occurred in the war.

You can try The National Archives site here to see if there is any mention of your man in India. I use the red menu button - top centre - then the Research Guides A - Z in the Help with your research column. They also have war diaries for both wars.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks Christina, nice to catch up with someone on this side of the world.I am 1st Gen NZ so all my heritage is Uk and The Netherlands. Have bought a war diary from Nat Archives and am ploughing my way through all the data. It had to be downloaded in two sections, first is 111 pages haven't looked at second yet. Was hoping to get some idea as to which battalion/regiment he was in India so would know which battalion he probably ended up in WW1. There is a medal card which I can't make head or tails of what is written on it and also a mention of wounded in WW1 1915 and discharge 1918 but trying to determine if it is my "John Smith"! His father had two middle names as I have just received my grandparents marriage cert where it is listed,You would think they would have at least given him one middle name! All his siblings did!
    Will carry on searching!
    Many thanks
    Kathryn