Starting to feel at home

Default Can't find birth record in GRO index

A birth record I found on FreeBMD doean't appear to exist on GRO. Anyone know why this might be?

The record on FreeBMD is:

Births Mar 1902

DAMPS Clara Mary Whitechapel 1c 294

I've tried searching for different variations of the name but to no avail. I've also typed in the vol and page numbers but didn't make any difference. I always assumed that the information on GRO would be the same as BMD.

Starting to feel at home

The FreeBMD index was compiled from existing printed/handwritten indexes (which themselves are known to have many errors and omissions), but the "new" GRO indexes have been created from digitised images of the (copy) register entries that GRO hold, so should be more accurate, but like all transcription work, can have errors and other issues

The indexing has also been done following slightly different rules, which means that results can be different.

I think the entry you want (on GRO) is Clara Mary HASS (vol 1c p294A) mmn Felitz. Marked as an Occasional Copy which would indicate the submission of a correction at some point.

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by swendeperle82 View Post
    A birth record I found on FreeBMD doean't appear to exist on GRO. Anyone know why this might be?

The record on FreeBMD is:

Births Mar 1902

DAMPS Clara Mary Whitechapel 1c 294

I've tried searching for different variations of the name but to no avail. I've also typed in the vol and page numbers but didn't make any difference. I always assumed that the information on GRO would be the same as BMD.
    Are you looking for Mothers Maiden Name

This is from FreeBMD

Births Mar 1902
    Clara Mary DAMPS, Whitechapel 1c 294

If you go to GRO Web Site you can order a PDF copy of the Certificate for about £6 if they haven't got it they will refund the money. so you don't loose any money.

Famous for offering help & advice

I think this may be the record you're looking for - Occassional Copy A indicates that there has been an amendment to the original entry

HASS, CLARA MARY mmn FELITZ
    GRO Reference: 1902 M Quarter in WHITECHAPEL Volume 01C Page 294 Occasional Copy: A

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    I think this may be the record you're looking for - Occassional Copy A indicates that there has been an amendment to the original entry

HASS, CLARA MARY mmn FELITZ
    GRO Reference: 1902 M Quarter in WHITECHAPEL Volume 01C Page 294 Occasional Copy: A
    Oops - just realised that this info has already been given but I'm out of time to amend/delete my post. 15 minutes is a bit short....