Default Help reading place name please

The death notice for Tobias Tharratt at https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...231&cc=2517051 is rather blurred. It seems to say he was born at Hartley Row, Hartford Bridge, Kent, but I can't find any such place. Do others read it differently?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I was thinking about possible 'mis-heards' but don't think Dartford Bridge would have applied back in those days but there is a place called Bridge in Kent. Midway south-east of Canterbury and north-east of Pett Bottom. (That's a double T at the of the first part of the name, not RT.)

There's also a Harty. https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/KEN/Harty

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful

Could it be Hants rather than Kent?

There is a Harting Bridge just to the north east of Hartley Wintney.

The Hartley Wintney Parish Council website has a history of the area which states that the main road between the two was known as Hartley Row.

Peter

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Following on from Peter's excellent-sounding reply, I tried to redeem myself by checking if FMP have Hampshire baptisms. They do, and they appear to have them for Hartley Wintney, but there's nary a sign of a Tobias Tharratt, or a Tobias anything-that-looks-Tharratt (e.g. Marriott, Harnett), baptised 1780 +/- 10 years anywhere in the county.

However, there's a Mary Tharratt marrying in Hartley Wintney in 1809, and even better an Anne Tharratt buried there in 1825. Plus a William Thuriatt buried in 1786.

And Peter's definitely correct. Zoom in on the map, and look at the place name written above the Hartley Wintney marker.
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HAM/HartleyWintney

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Wow. Thanks both. That's what I love about BG. Go cross-eyed, decide to post here for help, go to bed, and wake up to the answer!
    Sue Mackay

Knowledgeable and helpful

The Knightroots site on InternetArchive (found by looking up Hartley Witney on dustydocs.com.au) has the following baptisms in Hartley Witney
    Elizabeth Ann 1774 father William Tharratt
    illiam 1776 father William Tharratt
    Mary and Thomas George 1777 father William Tharratt
    James 1779 father William Tharratt

and, more interestingly, Francis and Toby 1792 sons of William Therrett

Emeltee

Thanks emeltee, have found a transcription for Francis and Toby on FMP - this is very likely to be Tobias, especially as his age at death is given as an approximation.
    Sue Mackay

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    However, there's a Mary Tharratt marrying in Hartley Wintney in 1809, and even better an Anne Tharratt buried there in 1825. Plus a William Thuriatt buried in 1786.
    The Mary THARRATT who married John GREGORY is definitely the daughter of the Anne who died in 1825, as I have found her will amongst the PCC wills for 1826. According to the transcription of the burial on FMP Anne was 81 when she died. Mary married in 1809, and my Tobias (the 1820 settler to the Cape) married in Woolwich in 1803. If the 1792 baptism that emeltee found is correct, then Tobias cannot have been a baby when he was baptised, as 11 seems a tad young to marry. However, his age on the settler returns in 1819 was given as 39, suggesting a birth around 1780, and if the William who died in 1786 was his father then that would fit. Perhaps for some reason he had a late baptism.
    The application to emigrate that I transcribed for James Wilmot at https://www.eggsa.org/1820-settlers/i...2-sp-473287934 shows that initially there was a Thomas THARRATT who wanted to go as well, and he is of an age to be an older brother of Tobias.
    Now I wonder if you eagle eyed people can have a look at the PCC will for Ann THARRATT 1826 if you have access to it. Ann definitely had a son John who was living in Chantilly, France (he paid the burial duties) and he seems to be the main beneficiary in the will. Sadly there is bleedthrough on the first page, but I can definitely read the names William, Thomas, James and Tobias - am I right in thinking it says those are her four sons or is that wishful thinking on my part?

So we are looking for siblings John, William, Thomas, James, Mary and possibly Francis? Must get strong coffee and try to decipher the will!
    Sue Mackay

OK, Have found baptisms in Hartley Wintney for William (presumably died in infancy) John, Elizabeth Ann, William, Thomas George, Mary and James between 1771 and 1779, all with William as father.

The will on The Genealogist site is much easier to read. She leaves her main estate to John, whom failing his son Robert. She then gives £250 to her four sons William Thomas, James and Tobias and to her daughter Ann. She leaves a legacy to her three grandchildren William, Joseph and John CARY, sons of her late daughter Elizabeth CARY, later Elizabeth GOULDING. Her daughter Mary GREGORY is also mentioned in the will.

Huge thanks to Peter for putting me on the right track!
    Sue Mackay