Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Deserter in 1899

My ancestor, Arthur Cecil Chell, deserted from the military in 1899 at the age of 20. I presume it was from the army but I don't know and I believe it was from Woolwich. He died in 1914 in an asylum so he wasn't shot for deserting but how can I find out more information about what happened in 1899?
    Thank you.

Reputation beyond repute

He wouldn't have been shot for desertion if he wasn't on active service.

I can see part of a record on Findmypast confirming that he deserted from the Artillery at the age of 22, not 20 (he was born in 1877). You should look for yourself - terms of use do not permit quoting more information (online or offline).

What are you looking for? I don't think you'll find any more about the circumstances of his desertion.

Does the death cert say what the cause of death was?
    The British army had units all over the place in 1899, including South Africa and India... Do you know whether he had actually served abroad?

PS Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum!

Ignore what I said about army units all over the place - I have just seen the record Peter referred to. Arthur only stayed a couple of weeks...

As Peter said, we can't give you the details/images of the records. I see that Find My Past have a link on their menu for a free trial, but they won't let me see the details because I have an active subscription, so you'll have to check it yourself. They have options to buy credits valid over 9 days or take out a subscription.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Deserter in 1899

Thank you for your replies. I will have a look at Findmypast. Annoyingly i was a member until recently but have now paid an annual subscription for Ancestry which I don't like as much as Findmypast. When I know i have plenty of available time I shall pay for a month and look at the details of Arthur Chell. Thank you for your help.

Reputation beyond repute

Findmypast is free at West Sussex libraries.