Question Seaforth Highlanders

Hi, my grandfather was with the Seaforth Highlanders during WW1.......as he was born in Highgate and lived in Hertfordshire, I do not understand why this would have been the case. Also, there APPEARS to be many battalions and I dont know how to find out which one he would have been attached to.
    As most of that generation he never really spoke about his time at the front , other than to tell me when I was doing O level history, that who ever wrote the book obviously wasn't there!!
    How do I find out about him being wounded ( it says this on his record) even though he says the only injury he got was from being a homeguard in WW11.
    LOTS OF QUESTIONS. SORRY. Any help appreciated.
    Sandra

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Once WW1 got underway, most men didn't get much choice in the regiment they were sent to - it all depended on casualty numbers. Also, many served in more than one regiment, again depending on casualties, and changed their service numbers each time.

Over 60% of WW1 service records were destroyed during the bombing of WW2, but sometimes people get lucky. Is this the record that you have? There are other sources, but it's hard to help (or even eliminate possible sources) without his name and number...

Reputation beyond repute

LOTS OF QUESTIONS
    We won't be able to answer them without identity details.

Hi my grandfather Frederick John Brooks was in the Seaforth Highlanders...it is written on his medal. It says Private and his service number was 8730. He was born in 1896.

His medal card lists him as 8730 Pte Frank Brooks 2/ Seaforth Highlanders. The number, surname and regiment all match, so don't worry about the change in forename - it was fairly common for men to choose what they wanted to be called when they joined up. I have a 1-place study, and I hunted for months for an Abram on the war memorial - then his nephew contacted me and said that it was known in the family that he hated that name and called himself Frank in the army...

Anyway, he had the 14 Star as well as the Victory and British medals, having arrived at the Front on 23rd Aug 1914. It also says D.O.W. 19 Jan 1915.

It looks as though his service record was among the >60% destroyed in WW2, and I can't find a service pension application or a silver war badge issue for him. I'm curious, which record do you have?

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI
    That cant be the same person.
    OP says - How do I find out about him being wounded ( it says this on his record) even though he says the only injury he got was from being a homeguard in WW11.
    MIC says - D.O.W. 19 Jan 1915 - died of wounds, so he cant be the same person???
    Register of Soldier's Effects on ancestry says "will in favour of wife Clara" and she got all the payments due as sole legatee.
    SDGW says -

Name:
    Frank Brooks

Birth Place:
    Hatfield, Herts

Death Date:
    19 Jan 1915

Death Place:
    France and Flanders

Enlistment Place:
    Edinburgh, Midlothian

Private

Regiment:
    Seaforth Highlanders

Battalion:
    2nd Battalion

Regimental Number:

Type of Casualty:
    Died of wounds
    SO that explains why in the Seaforths, joining in Edinburgh, but why was he there?
    Lots more questions to be answered!
    regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Reputation beyond repute

Sandra

We need to revisit exactly what you know about Grandad. When you say "his record", exactly what are you talking about? Is the medal the only artefact you have? What medal was it? Can you please check exactly what it says.

Knowledgeable and helpful

The 1911 Census has Frederick John BROOKS living with his family at Hawkswick, a large house in St Albans, Herts. RG14PN7676 RG78PN378 RD139 SD2 ED10 SN18

James BROOKS 56 domestic gardener, b. Breinton, Hereford.
    Annie BROOKS 58 b. Wormbridge, Hereford.
    Frank BROOKS 23 domestic gardener b. Highgate
    May BROOKS 17 asst school teacher b. Highgate
    Frederick John BROOKS 15 b. Highgate

Could it be that Frederick's brother Frank BROOKS is the one mentioned by simmo1 at #6?

Peter

Indeed Robert you are right. I should have checked CWGC, as normal, but he'd been reported as alive....

CWGC says 8730 Pte Francis Brooks d. 19 Jan 1915 aged 30. 2 Btn Seaforth Highlanders. Son of Joseph & Sarah Brooks of Hatfield, Herts. Husband of Clara Brooks of 12 Christchurch Rd, Reading.

Sandra, on the medal, does it just say Private Brooks, or give a forename or initials?

It looks as though the FJB in Peter's message #8 died in 1980, registered in Watford, Herfordshire.
    He married Phyllis K. Hollander or Lawrence in 1929, in St Albans, Hertfordshire.

Is this your man?

BTW Phyllis K Lawrence married Robert W Hollander in 1922 in St Albans.