Default AMELIA HART 1843-1907 -DAVIES-WILEMAN-COOPMAN

This new thread should be read in conjunction with the following threads on this forum
    John Hart-Elizabeth Jacobs; Sarah Hart alias Miss Agnes Burdett actress;Theodore Pincus 1821-74-Sarah Hart 1832-1900 and particularly Maurice Davies- Amelia Hart.

I have looked for some years for data that revealed what happened to Amelia Hart daughter of John Hart and Elizabeth Jacobs. In the early post Maurice Davies- Amelia Hart I had recorded that two children had been born- Elizabeth and David. Maurice Davies was the son of David Davies and Ann Crawcour. I had explained how the all the lines related to my further Jacobs and Crawcour paternal lines.

Maurice Davies had tried unsuccessfully to divorce Amelia in what was an unpleasant process with Amelia being found innocent of all accusations of adultery and Maurice and his brother John being accused of lying.

Sarah Hart aka Miss Agnes Burdett actress and sister of Amelia had appeared in the divorce proceedings and presented damning accusations against Maurice and John Davies. The problem was further complicated because the Crawcour and Hart lines were further related through marriages between Henry Chapman Hart brother of Amelia who had married Amelia Hart daughter of Aaron Hart and Ann Rebecca Crawcour. In addition, Catherine Hart aka Kate also a sister of Amelia, Sarah and Henry had married Abraham Crawcour.

This meant that the relationships between the close families must have been strained to say the least.

As I will later post the daughter of Amelia was to marry into the Joseph Phineas DAVIS family and the granddaughter Athalie into the COOPMAN family.

The initial clue to what happened to Amelia appears in the 1871 Census:
    (Crown Copyright TNA) RG10 15 20 32
    26 Westbourne Park Terrace Paddington
    Agnes BURDETT H widow 71 Lady b London
    Julia Burdett dau u 29 Actress b London
    Emilia Burdett u 27 Actress b London
    DAVID DAVIES grandson 4 b London
    Agnes Burdett u 24 Actress b London
    ANNIE DAVIES granddaughter 3 Lady b London Nb The recorder had originally written an age of 31 and then crossed the 1 out

The key points to the 1871 census are that the address of 26 Westbourne Park Terrace was that of Elizabeth Hart nee Jacobs who died at that address the following year and she was the mother of Julia, Amelia and Agnes aka Sarah plus grandmother of Annie and David. Importantly, the surname Burdett was the stage name for Sarah. The reason for the cover up of the Hart name may well have been because Amelia did not want Maurice and his family to know where she was living with the children.

I will post further data and records.

Phillip

The following records relate to the 2 children of Maurice Davies and Amelia Hart- Annie Elizabeth Davies b 4 July 1867 Sept qtr 1867 Kensington 1a 25 and David Davies b 29 Nov 1865 Dec qtr 1865 Kensington 1a 40.
    Here is the Jewish Chronicle Death Record for Elizabeth Hart which links her address in 1871 to the same address in 1872:
    On the 26th ult. at 26 Westbourne Park Terrace Bayswater Elizabeth relict of the late John Hart formerly of Regent Street in the 72nd year of her age. Jewish Chronicle March 1 1872

Amelia was later to have the family name Minnie as I will later post on. She was also to marry Arthur Francis WILEMAN IN 1892:
    GRO Marriage Certificate
    18 March 1892 The Register Office Kennington London

Arthur Francis WILEMAN full age bachelor Civil and Mining Engineer Avonmore Road West Kensington-father Henry Wileman deceased Gentleman

Amelia DAVIES full age widow no occupation 14 Bolton Gardens South Kensington- father John HART deceased Gentleman
    Witnesses-Jas. Allan Buttersby; Walter H Chastor

Prior to her marriage Amelia was living with Arthur Wileman and her two children were at the same address
    1891 Census ( Copyright TNA) RG12 1028 38 26
    24 Mount Park Crescent Ealing Middlesex
    A F WILEMAN H M 40 Civil and Mining Engineer b Middlesex London
    Amelia wife 35 b Middx London
    ANNIE DAVIES step daughter s 19 Sculptor Artist b Middx London
    JOHN DAVIES stepson s 21 Clerk
    +1 servant

More data to follow.
    Phillip

I have not as yet identified Amelia Davies nee HART in the 1881 census or her daughter Annie. Her son David was living with his aunt Sarah Hart aka Sarah Agnes aka Agnes Burdett who had married Theodore PINCUS.
    1881 (Copyright TNA)
    22 Keppel Street Bloomsbury
    Sarah A PINCUS H widow 35 Let apartments for Boarders (Lady) b London
    Julia HART sister u 23 Lady b London
    DAVID DAVIES Nephew 5 months scholar b London

There are a range of Boarders and servants
    Nb The record for David Davies age of 5 mths appears to be an error because he was born in 1865 giving him an age of 16 unless there is another David Davies who I know nothing about.
    The recorder had also crossed out at the top of the page Agnes Hart? Boarder Head widow 35 and Julia Hart sister u 43. Importantly, the dob are not accurate in earlier and later census for either sisters but that is not uncommon.

The Jewish Chronicle
    Death of Amelia Hart
    On the 4 April 1907 at 49 Redcliffe Square SW after only a few hours illness, Minnie, beloved wife of Arthur F WILEMAN, mother of Mrs Ellis J DAVIS and Mr John David DAVIES JC April 12 1907

GRO Death Index Amelia Wileman June qtr 1907 age 62 Kensington 1a 112

There is a Brazil Findagrave Record which shows:
    Arthur Francis WILEMAN aged 81-82 b abt 1848 Death July 11 1930 Rio De Janiero Brazil Cemetery Cemiterio dos Ingleses Gamboa Section 3 Grave 150.

I will post on Amelia's daughter Annie aka Anita aka Nita and her marriage.

Phillip

The relationship between the Crawcour lines and the Hart can be further seen in the 1911 Census which shows Eliza Barczinscky nee Crawcour daughter of Barnet Crawcour with the children of Amelia Hart and Maurice Davies.
    1911 (Copyright TNA) RG14 621
    137 Alexandra Road St.John's Wood NW
    Mrs Eliza BARCZINSKY Boarder widow 84 Children 3 3 alive b Norwich
    Mrs Nita DAVIS boarder widow 40 1 child 1 alive b London
    Miss Athalie DAVIS 8 boarder b London
    Mr Jack DAVIES 46 boarder single clerk Accountant b London
    Mr Eric DAVIS 16 boarder b London

Nb I do not know the relationship between Eric Davis and the others but Jack Davies is almost certainly David Davies aka John David Davies son of Amelia and Nita aka Anita aka Annie is also the daughter of Amelia.

Annie aka Anita aka Nita was to marry into the well known James Phineas Davis family through his son Ellis.
    I will post a new thread on this line.

It is difficult to trace David Davies aka John David Davies aka Jack Davies further because it appears that he may not have married and his name changes do not help with easy identification.

Phillip

The London Electoral Registers show- 1930-31 70 Goldhurst Terrace Hampstead John David Davis; Nita Davis; Athalie Davis.
    John David Davis is David Davies born 1865 son of Amelia Hart/Maurice DAVIES. Nita Davis is Annie Elizabeth Davies b 1867 daughter of Amelia Hart/Maurice Davies.
    John David Davis aka David Davies does not appear with his mother and niece post 1931 Electoral Registers.
    Athalie Davis is Eliza Athalie Minia Davis b 1903 daughter of Ellis James Davis and Anita aka Nita aka Annie Elizabeth Davies.

Athalie Davis was a well known silent film actress. I will write more about them.

Phillip