Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post

This isn't from Findmypast!

Peter

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Do you have any of the birth certificates for the Davies children? If so what was their father's occupation? The reason for asking is, perhaps it might have been something that would have led him and Sarah to have met outside of England and Wales. However, I note from the baptism registers for his children that he's described as a "gentleman"..... Which is the same description that's given to John Hawkins.

Have you traced him and his children?

In the 1861 Census Sarah is living in St. Marylebone (Piece: 88; Folio: 127; Page: 17) with her children and described as a "wife" and a proprietor of houses, but no sign of Mr Davies, and also living with her is her sister Jane, who is one of her "servants".

In the 1871 census, Sarah is living with her mother, Mary A Dallin, who is described as "mother in law", whilst Sarah is described as a "wife", and she only has one of the Davies children living with her, Alice who was born in 1854 in Islington. There is no mention of John Hawkins in the census, and Sarah is also described as living on income from land.

A Mary Ann Taylor Dallin died in the July quarter of 1871 aged 76 (Pancras Vol 01B Page 13) - this was probably her mother.

Catherine Hawkins married 22 April 1890 Ramsgate Joseph Midgley and in 1891 was running a lodging house in Ramsgate, and in 1901 they were living in Ramsgate on “their own means”. By 1911 they are living in Wandsworth in a boarding house, where he is an army pensioner, and she is a housekeeper in private service.

John Heywood Hawkins was born in 1802 and was a bachelor, so it's probable that she was his mistress. According to the probate entry he died in Regents Park Road, and his brother who lived in Cornwall was his executor, so the brother may well have asked Sarah to leave the house when John died, and where she went after that I haven't found.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Megan and others who helped with my brick wall you have helped confirm my researched and taken it further by finding the death od Sarah Dallin/Hawkins. Thank you very much.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12