Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    A fountain of knowledge

Thanks Lesley.. I appreciate your thank you message. I seem to get told off quite often when trying to help/post a message, so I now
    hesitate in doing so! Jill

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    Thanks Lesley.. I appreciate your thank you message. I seem to get told off quite often when trying to help/post a message, so I now
    hesitate in doing so! Jill
    Hi Gillian,

My post was not meant as a personal criticism merely an observation to help others who may go to click on the link as I did, and as advice/a reminder to all users of the site regarding URL links to commercial sites.
    I've been smacked on the wrist a time or two for forgetting the rules.

Please don't hesitate to help or post messages.

Regards,
    Malcolm

You're right, Grisel. The 1820 London directories show Thomas Gill's place of business as 20 Little Tower St!

Joseph was a busy boy at that time - I found a pamphlet that he published ("by authority of Parliament") in 1814 describing himself as "successor to the late Dicas & Co". Dicas were a Liverpool company making hydrometers. Curiously, the 2 Dicas daughters tried to keep the firm going into the 1820s...

This time yesterday, I was considering admitting defeat - thanks everyone!

Hmmm. I have spent some of the afternoon checking the newspapers of the 1820s, and it looks as though Joseph didn't buy the Dicas business - he just infringed their patent...

Gotta stop this!

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Hmmm. I have spent some of the afternoon checking the newspapers of the 1820s, and it looks as though Joseph didn't buy the Dicas business - he just infringed their patent...

Gotta stop this!
    😁😁We all do it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123